MorphOS on MacMini - Who's bought their Mini already?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    How many members here have already purchased a G4 MacMini in anticipation of running MorphOS on it in the future?

I know there has been some discussion about how wise, or unwise it is to purchase used equipment with the intent to use it for something that is not finished yet and has no projected finish date, or even promise that it will be finished, though the demos and discussion so far would tend to lead most to believe that it will be finished, and will probably be the next NEW platform that MorphOS is released for, so I was wondering how many members here either have purchased a G4 MacMini, or already had one, and are waiting for the release of MorphOS for it.

Secondly, though we do not want to bother the MorphOS development team, just for fun, how many members here think that it will be possible for the MorphOS team to complete and release MOS for the MacMini before the end of 2009?

I will admit that I am looking to purchase a G4 MacMini for myself as soon as I find one for a reasonable price, but I am already a fan of MacOSX and will find good use for the MacMini even if MorphOS is never released for it, but hope that it will be done soon.

I don't have a clue about what the time line is for completion of MorphOS for the MacMini, and actually still would like to see improvements made to MorphOS support on my EFIKA first, but I am going to make a wild guess and say that I think we will be able to buy MorphOS for the MacMini before the end of this year, but it is just a guess.

When/If MorphOS is released for the MacMini, I hope it has support for wireless networking via the MacMini's airport card and that the bluetooth also works, but that may be too much to ask for at its initial release, as the team probably has it's hands full just getting the wired ethernet, and other drivers working for an initial release on the Mini.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »13.02.09 - 03:12
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    I bought a G4 Mini for my son but it wasnt really that great of a machine for Mac based games so I bought him a quad core Dell XPS system and kept the G4. I'm in the process of buying another G4 for next to nothin :)

MorphOS Devel quite honestly, kicks ass. I think I read somewhere it was March 2009? Or something like that.. I just thought by the end of July 2009. I forget where I read that.

I wouldnt care of wifi or bluetooth doesnt work as long as wired does.
  • »13.02.09 - 03:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Painkiller
    I bought a G4 MacMini already mainly for MorphOS to come but also to test out OSX. It came with tiger installed and that was a huge dissapointment, I'm thinking of testing out Leopard when I have the time, but I have a feeling that I will be dissapointed by that also. Oh well the MacMini really isn't that fast of a system for OSX anyways.
  • »13.02.09 - 06:40
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    liquidbit
    I have a mac-mini waiting for MOS !
    ..there will be only one left.
  • »13.02.09 - 07:19
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Painkiller wrote:

I bought a G4 MacMini already mainly for MorphOS to come but also to test out OSX. It came with tiger installed and that was a huge dissapointment

Mmmm... another computer waiting for the right operating system...

Bring it on!
  • »13.02.09 - 08:29
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    After the live presentation of the Mini Port on the AmigaMeeting in Germany by Bigfoot, and he mentioned that he is waiting for his 15" G4 Powerbook to arrive to port it to that too i decided to replace my 12" Powerbook with a 15".
    So i kinda did buy a Mac to run MOS on it.
    But i think that the release will take some more time, i think 6-9 months from now on.
    At least the Ethernet/Audio and PMU drivers are missing afaik.
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »13.02.09 - 11:34
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    CountRaven
    I want a MacMini PPC!!!
    Still have not found any. If anyone has something for sale, please PM.
    Links to available hardware would always be great.
  • »13.02.09 - 12:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • ZB
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ZB
    My Mac mini 1,5ghz is strongly waiting for his well deserved Amiga OS... MorphOS !!!

Hoping it can be released very soon... we can't wait ! :-)
    ---
    Morphing the Phoenix...
  • »13.02.09 - 13:48
  • Just looking around
    npanag
    I already have a Mac Mini G4 1,24 ghz from late 2005!! Long before i join the Morphos community. Now i am just waiting for MOS for MAcMini!! :-)
    Pegasos II G3/600 Mhz + MorphOS 2.1

EFIKA MPC5200/400Mhz + Debian Linux

www.amigaplanet.gr
  • »13.02.09 - 15:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    maurensen
    +1,
    it's not a macmini but I bought a PowerBook G4 hoping to have a port of MorphOS in two more weeks after the mini release :-)

Hola
    -------------------
  • »13.02.09 - 16:10
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

Secondly, though we do not want to bother the MorphOS development team, just for fun, how many members here think that it will be possible for the MorphOS team to complete and release MOS for the MacMini before the end of 2009?
    When/If MorphOS is released for the MacMini, I hope it has support for wireless networking via the MacMini's airport card and that the bluetooth also works, but that may be too much to ask for at its initial release, as the team probably has it's hands full just getting the wired ethernet, and other drivers working for an initial release on the Mini.

Well, it's very likely that you will be able to get the MacMini G4 release of MorphOS this year.
    Don't hold your breath on support of wireless networking and bluetooth, though, both are features we are most likely not going to implement.
    While wireless networking would be "nice to have (tm)", it's quite a pain to implement all the different layers required. Remember that wireless adds quite some security layers to the actual networking.
  • »13.02.09 - 21:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    I bought a Mini G4 1.5 GHz 1GB off ebay a bit before christmas. It was rather cheap and in a good condition, MorphOS will run on it and I added another OS to my personal collection (gf has an ibook already). Guess the ~250 EUR were spent well. Plus, I am prepared to run MorphOS whever it will get released.

Well, currently it gets powered up rarely, but even though that is okay. If I have some spare time left I hope to check out the one OS X app I am interested in, Garageband.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »13.02.09 - 22:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Debaser
    I've had my Mini 1.25 ready since 2005. 'Cant wait!
  • »14.02.09 - 02:43
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    wolfe
    Mac Mini here . . . 1.5 GHz :-D

Purchased it 2+ years ago. Sees regular use, but is waiting for an Amiga style OS too . . . 8-)
  • »14.02.09 - 09:03
  • ZB
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ZB
    Quote:

pega-1 wrote:

Well, it's very likely that you will be able to get the MacMini G4 release of MorphOS this year.

You must run ! I can't wait more than two weeks !!! ;-)

More seriously, I (strongly) hope you manage to release it much sooner than the end of the year... :-)

Quote:

Don't hold your breath on support of wireless networking and bluetooth, though, both are features we are most likely not going to implement.

Well, the first Mac mini release must be out as soon as possible and the wireless has not a big priority (if you ask me, I would also welcome an immediate release without ethernet and sound... anyway, do you need a ready and bright betatester ? :-) ) but i think, for the future, a wireless network support will become more worthwhile...

Bluetooth is unnecessary to me and I, for sure, can live without it...
    ---
    Morphing the Phoenix...
  • »14.02.09 - 10:26
    xyphoid
    Hey Amigadave got mine, but now my efika sees little use.I hope to be dual booting with this :-)
  • »14.02.09 - 18:01
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    TrevorDick
    @Painkiller

Interesting! I also bought a PPC macmini about a year ago to see what all the fuss was about. I was also very disappointed by the performance compared to MorphOS and OS4 on a Pegasos or A1-XE. I don't want to offend any Mac people but it felt more like running a modern Linux distro, which I suppose isn't that unsurpring considering its provenance?

Just MHO though.

TrevorD
  • »14.02.09 - 20:56
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    I bought one long ago for Amiga OS 4.1, now it sits waiting for MorphOS 3.0.
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »14.02.09 - 23:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Okay, next question.

What do you all think is a good price for a 1.5GHz G4 PPC MacMini?

I thought that between $250 to $300 would be a good price for the seller and an acceptable price for me, but for that I would hope to get a keyboard, mouse, the original OS & software discs and maybe some extras. If it has the max RAM installed plus the SuperDrive DVD writer and/or an upgraded hard drive I would be willing to pay a little extra.

Do those prices sound about right to any of you?

I have seen some go for over $400 on eBay, but that seems excessive.

I don't like the sellers that advertise that they are leaving a bunch of expensive software and/or upgraded OS on the hard drive, but not including any of the media for it in the sale/auction, but that is just me.

[ Edited by amigadave on 2009/2/14 18:19 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »15.02.09 - 02:17
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    $250-300 is about what I find Mac mini's for down here in Texas. I usually tell the seller that the software they have means nothing since I can download it off the internet for free.
  • »15.02.09 - 02:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I don't like the sellers that advertise that they are leaving a
    > bunch of expensive software and/or upgraded OS on the hard drive,
    > but not including any of the media for it in the sale/auction, but
    > that is just me.

I doubt that's just you. Just report it to eBay and you'll hopefully see ;-)
  • »15.02.09 - 04:25
    xyphoid
    it's depends on the seller for price, time of aution, and luck. I got mine for $305US plus $10 for shipping. No keyboard/mouse only OSX vga adapter power source, and 512 meg ram.

posted with OWB
  • »15.02.09 - 04:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Okay, next question.

What do you all think is a good price for a 1.5GHz G4 PPC MacMini?

I thought that between $250 to $300 would be a good price for the seller and an acceptable price for me, but for that I would hope to get a keyboard, mouse, the original OS & software discs and maybe some extras. If it has the max RAM installed plus the SuperDrive DVD writer and/or an upgraded hard drive I would be willing to pay a little extra.

Do those prices sound about right to any of you?

I have seen some go for over $400 on eBay, but that seems excessive.

I don't like the sellers that advertise that they are leaving a bunch of expensive software and/or upgraded OS on the hard drive, but not including any of the media for it in the sale/auction, but that is just me.

[ Edited by amigadave on 2009/2/14 18:19 ]

IIRC I paid 262 EUR for the 1.5GHz 1GB combodrive version w/o keyboard or other goodies. Sw included was OS X 10.4 & iLife. The device was in very good condition (I guessed that from teh pictures and description and other indicators, but I didn't knew for sure of course, so I was lucky). During that time I watched many auctions and the 1.5Ghz version reaches quickly the 300 EUR mark. I was wondering that additional goodies like kbd don't have much impact o the price. The superdrive has.
    I think 250 is a really good price for the 1.5 Ghz version. These Minis are not too old and quite useable w/ OS X. Unfortunately the fan is not too silent (I am used to real silent computers, my peg g3 & efika are fanless, my Eee & old PIII laptop spin their fan rarely up).
    Because of Layers3D I think it is worthwile to pay a ittel extra to obtain the 1.5 GHz version. the good thing is, that MorphOS for the Mini is not out yet and there is no pressure to accquire the first offer. Pop in to ebay from time to time and I am sure you will find one w/o much hassle for a good 250.
    And if it is 250 or 300 in the end, well that's not too much of a difference. Everything below 300 I'd say is rather cheap.
    Well, I live in Euroland, but I guess prices in US$ @ ebay U.S. have similar numbers, kind of 1 EUR = 1 US$ (unlike new products in stores where the dollar weakness actually impacts prices).
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »15.02.09 - 13:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    gleng
    I bought a 1.33GHz Mac mini a few years ago to try out Mac OS X. It's currently sitting here waiting for MorphOS. :-)
  • »17.02.09 - 11:53
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ruud
    I've got a 1.5ghz model on the way. My main concern was getting one with 64mb gfx ram. 32mb seems too small and I don't suppose there's any way to upgade it, is there?
    "We live, we die, we laugh, we cry"
  • »17.02.09 - 15:46