Why would I install 4.1 on my Peg2?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Hi guys

I'm thinking of ordering Amiga os 4.1 for my peg2. Mainly for the cool and fun factor.

My question to you all is this:

What can I run on Os 4.1 I cant on Morphos 2.2? Is there any programs that run better or faster? Is euae built into os4.1? Please advise.

I havent followed OS4 development for some time..

Thanks
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »03.02.09 - 23:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • SMF
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    SMF
    nOOO, everything will run slower and crash more ;)

And there is no euae built into os4, sorry, maybe aros is your friend (afaik aros is the only os with uae integration being worked on)

The software etc for os4/mos is pretty much teh same shiat so there's not much to miss if you run only on of the Os'es but i agree that it's cool to be able to use them both =)

[ Edited by SMF on 2009/2/4 0:21 ]
  • »03.02.09 - 23:19
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Mainly I see two reasons to buy AOS4:
    1st: if you are developer you can test your OS4 versions (that is if you maintain or plan to maintain an OS4 version of your software
    2nd: Curiosity.
    I must confess I am curious how it performs on the Peg, but when I think about it I can hold my horses and get an impression at some user meeting.

As for sw AOS has, MorphOS hasn't: AudioEvolution is said to be nice. But if you have PSA already, it doesn't offer too much extra. Other OS4 soft, dunno, surf OS4 depot what's there.

And don't expect OS4 to execute more legacy sw than MorphOS does.

I'd say it also depends on your wallet's size.
    If it is filled plentily: go and order.
    If it is reasonable filled: get more info and/or check it out at some meeting and consider an order.
    If it is tight: forget it.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »04.02.09 - 00:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    samo79
    There are a few applications that you may love and not all availible on MorphOS:

AmiCygnix X11
    ADRipper
    AmiSoundED
    AmiFTP
    AmiDisk
    AmiTV
    DvPlayer
    TuneNet/AMuse
    Cinnamon Writer
    AmiDVD
    Digital Universe
    Epistula
    Horny/Phonolith
    OWB
    NetSurf
    Pet's FTP
    PointRider
    RockBeat
    SabreMSN
    Trasmission
    X-Net RSS

And so on ...

Aniway my suggest is to try it before (maybe can you find easily an OS4 user near your) and if you like it, buy it, nothing more, nothing less :-)

[ Edited by samo79 on 2009/2/4 1:38 ]
    BACK FOR THE FUTURE

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture
  • »04.02.09 - 00:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    This is actually a interesting move by Hyperion. Yea you cant buy a brand new Peg II but they are for sale here and there. First the port to Peg II, then possibly EFIKA or bypass that and surprise, OS 4.1 on the Mac Mini. Mayhaps a price war to get the MorphOS or OS4 for $149.99 and you got yourself a good battle.

Both operating systems are great and this is coming from a Pro-MorphOS user. This is great for the Amiga community.

-Alex
  • »04.02.09 - 01:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Thanks for the responses

Samo nice list - can you please put a brief description of what these apps do.. From my experience ( I used to build A1 systems and worked for genesi) I know Morph is better and more compatible. However, there are some advantages with os4 like screen dragging and X11 etc. Also Fab just did an OWB port and its prolly better than the os4 version knowing Fab :P
  • »04.02.09 - 01:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

samo79 wrote:
    There are a few applications that you may love and not all availible on MorphOS:

Let's check that list if there is something useful in it:

AmiCygnix X11 -> what for? slowing down the maschine with some alien framework
    ADRipper -> There is Ripper since ages, which rips CDs, converts ogg, mp3 and AIFF and adds tags
    AmiSoundED -> don't know tht prog, could be useful
    AmiFTP -> AminetCenter
    AmiDisk -> Ambient includes a very powerful Filemanager
    AmiTV -> VAillantVision
    DvPlayer -> MPlayer w/ GUI by Fab
    TuneNet/AMuse -> AminetRadio
    Cinnamon Writer -> use googleDocs or Papyrus or AmigaWriterWOS
    AmiDVD -> is that for for copying only then use: FryingPan. If it is DVD authoring: then chose DVD-engine
    Digital Universe -> don't know
    Epistula -> don't know that
    Horny/Phonolith -> That one is nice
    OWB -> OWB MorphOS version by Fab 8includes a download manager)
    NetSurf -> netsurf MorphOS version by Itix
    Pet's FTP -> Don't know
    PointRider -> PointRider
    RockBeat -> don't know that
    SabreMSN -> Polyglot MorphOS version
    Trasmission -> don't know that
    X-Net RSS -> don't know that

Mind also that much of the apps may run on OS4Emu, too.
    --

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
  • »04.02.09 - 01:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    my additions to the list:)

AmiSoundED -> theres sampleeditor which runs on mos (or crash if you have bad luck:)
    AmiDisk -> ambient + dopus if you need 2list mode, but amidisk indeed very nice!
    Cinnamon Writer -> nice os4 nativ app, the custom gui is nice but a bit slow duh... no equal mos counterpart
    Horny/Phonolith -> hd-rec runs on morphos and its the best non-tracker adio app for any amiga (its 68k still the best). also mos has prostationaudio.
    Pet's FTP -> very nice ftp with multiple file windows, but atc is still great:)
    RockBeat -> yeah nice, but digibooster runs on morphos, it can be used as a drum machine as well.
    SabreMSN -> Polyglot MorphOS version
    Trasmission -> bah. what a dissapointment. a very nice torrent client with a nice gui with osx icons. can handle multible torrents in one window. got prefs and all. it just doesnt work for dowloading files... it always freezes, starting the file over and over again. useless. beehive is not that nice guiwise, but it does the job really well. i finished many-many torrents with it.
    X-Net RSS -> AmRSS runs on morphos, its got mui interface.

also theres amiupdate, which is i believe used more often than morphup on morphos.
    DEAD pegII/G4@1000.1gb ram.radeon 9200pro
    240 gigz hd.nec dvdrw.MorphOS 2.4 DEAD
    -=-=-=-
    amiga1200T.blizzardppc@180/040@25.96megz ram
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »04.02.09 - 02:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    I really don't see the advantage for purchasing OS4.1. For me it's an issue of spending time on something that is nothing new. I don't want to waste time for a 'redundant' os. I use my Peg II and MOS 2.2 for home finance and general usage, not as a hobby box.

I have never used/seen OS4.1 so I can't speak to it's usage, but MOS 2.2 simply rocks and runs everything I need it to. I'm always surprised how really good MOS 2.2 is. I recently had to replace my CRT with a LCD, I just plugged it in and it auto recognized the LCD capabilities and I didn't have to set anything up. Great job team!
  • »04.02.09 - 02:31
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    @matt:

I wouldnt want to see either OS4.x or MorphOS go by the wayside. If we were just stuck with MorphOS the world would be a dull place. It would suck if I was stuck running Windows instead of Linux. Diversity brings new challenges and maybe new software to both operating systems.

-=Alex
  • »04.02.09 - 03:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    Having both operating systems on one box helps if you developing, debugging and testing an application for MorphOS 2.2 & Amiga OS 4.1.
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »04.02.09 - 03:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Hey Discreet

Good to see you still around. Nice new logo too...

;-)

Yes I see the point from a dev perspective but I'm speaking from a user experience in this thread.
    BTW how is the OS 4.1 SDK? Is it free? Easy to install?
  • »04.02.09 - 05:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > There are a few applications that you may love and not all
    > availible on MorphOS:
    > [...]
    > OWB
    > NetSurf
    > [...]
    > PointRider
    > [...]
    > Trasmission

...are available natively on MorphOS. Others may work as OS3 native through Trance or as OS4 native through OS4Emu, or there are alternatives serving the same purpose (as Zylesea already mentioned).
  • »04.02.09 - 06:09
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > possibly EFIKA or bypass that

Hyperion already ruled for the latter.
  • »04.02.09 - 06:12
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Digital Universe is available for MorphOS. It is just 68k version.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »04.02.09 - 06:53
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    I've used loaned A1XE with OS4.1 for months (and 4.0 before that) and in my personal opinion there isn't anything I want from it compared to MorphOS. I'd say reasons to buy it for Pegasos are purely in curiosity. Unless you're developing programs for both systems of course.

Almost all listed programs have alternatives on MorphOS and usually better ones.

File management options in OS4.1 are really bad. Workbench is very limited still (pretty close to 3.x versions) and I've had bad experiences with those oldskool 2-view filemanagers like Dopus4 and AmiDisk.. both seemed to be crashy. Just to warn you, if you plan to do serious filehandling and have used to use Ambient or Magellan2 on MorphOS :)

But I'm not saying you shouldn't buy it if you have money and want to buy it for test and having fun of having yet another PPC OS on your computer. Using more OSes is always enriching and especially when it's Amigaish OS. Support is always good and I hope people who buy Peg2 because of OS4.1 would also register MorphOS :)
  • »04.02.09 - 08:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Painkiller
    This is the reason why there would also be the need for MOS port on SAM440 :) Would encourage OS4 devs to cross develop for MOS, just like PEG II.
  • »04.02.09 - 09:40
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    @jPV

That's also my opinion. Today, I'm feeling very limited when using OS 3.x, despite there are many good file managers like DOpus4 or Diskmaster2. Additionally, there are very few applications, which I can't use together with MorphOS 2.x, and I don't think I need to spend another > 100 EUR just to be able to use the same apps like before (AmIRC, IBrowse, MPlayer, ScummVM, Pagestream, etc.). And if I'll get it just because of curiosity, I'm sure I'll be disappointed afterwards.

[ Edited by analogkid on 2009/2/4 9:57 ]
  • »04.02.09 - 09:56
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    samo79
    @Zylesea

Listen, I don't want argue with you at that point, I just write a quick list of applications for OS4, I don't want to specify or say, this is crap (as you say regarding AmiCygnix), this is better for OS4 or for MOS because I can reply you the same, a lot of MorphOS application is availible on OS4 too, native or emulated (say AmRSS or AminetRadio, AmiTradeCenter for example)

There are also some application that it is availible in both system but run better on OS4 (NetSurf, Trasmission for example again) so again and again stop trolling please, thanks
    BACK FOR THE FUTURE

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture
  • »04.02.09 - 15:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Digital Universe is available for MorphOS. It is just 68k version.

He probably meant current v1.5, which indeed is OS4 only.
  • »04.02.09 - 15:38
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Nice new logo too...

It's already been there for 5 months ;-)
  • »04.02.09 - 15:54
  • AP
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    @Zylesea:
    >AmiCygnix X11 -> what for? slowing down the maschine with some alien framework

AbiWorld, Gnumeric ad GIMP are three very good reasons to use AmiCygnix. If you have something better on MOS, show me (and don?t say "Papyrus";-))

BTW: Edgar did a lot of optimizations in the last release of AmiCygnix, so it is very usable (even on SAM).
  • »04.02.09 - 16:19
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    @ Samo79

I didn't say OS4 would be crap or such. But the initial poster asked what benefit he would gain by installing OS4 on his Pegasos (he has MorphOS installed already). And the list of apps you gave are no real benefit given you have MorphOS already.
    The same is true if MorphOS was avaialble for the A1 or Sam. The benefit to install MorphOS when you *already* have OS4 on that maschine installed is lim->0.
    If you prefer OS4 or MorphOS for some reason is another question, but the list of apps you gave is just not impressive.
    It's like if a Windows user asks why he should install Linux and I rely because of OOo.
    Th egenereal question wether you prefer Win or Linux has nothing to do with the availablility of virtual same apps.
    --

• »04.02.09 - 16:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    @ AP

The discussion wether X11 makes sense or not has been done several times before. *My* take on that is: it doesen't offer me anything. The X11 apps are slow and x11 is an alien framework on the maschine.
    before I use that, why not a remote desktop or another dedicated maschine which does the job right. I have enough maschines around.
    You know I wouldn't say X11 is truely bad, but also not a major benefit.
    --

• »04.02.09 - 16:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

He probably meant current v1.5, which indeed is OS4 only.

I know but is it different to 68k version...

[ Edited by itix on 2009/2/4 18:57 ]
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »04.02.09 - 16:57