The future of MorphOS?
  • T1k
  • Just looking around
    T1k
    My idea of a better world:

Say what you mean, do what you say.

I think it's important so I say it again:

Say what you mean, DO what you say.

Yes, I live my life this way, and I'm constantly rewarded for it. The power of it amazes me, it works on all levels - from family to business. This is the way to make true friends, this is the way to achieve goals, this is the way to happiness.
    Mind - Universe - Mind - Universe
  • »16.11.04 - 02:18
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    "if you dont live the life you believe, you'll believe the life you live" or something like that
    "Poundsmack, official morphzone thread creator" -LorD
    "Wanna be lord of the avatars." -JKD
  • »16.11.04 - 04:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    Honestly, from a public perspective...that you even replied in those terms is just as bad as editing the post, no matter what the percentage of 'truth' contained within it. there are always 2 sides to everything, hence usage of 'truth.'

[ Edited by JKD on 2004/11/15 21:10 ]
  • »16.11.04 - 05:04
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DSLCC
    There's just gotta be some sanity in the basket somewhere. I guess we're so used to disappointment that we look for and await its arrival. I checked my Peggy and even with this weird day - it still works - so I still where I was - hanging on to a dream. It'll be fine.

I had heart surgery on the 9th of September and am just now getting back to work - so I know all about the topic of running out of money. :) Frustration, anxiety, pain - and still I wake up every morning and have to make it through another day.

David

:-)
    Pegasos 1 G3 MorphOS 1.4.5* Mac G4 Sawtooth 1Ghz Tiger 10.4.1* Both Rock! :-D
  • »16.11.04 - 05:18
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Quote:

We will separate 1.5 from the future of MorphOS, that is from a Genesi perspective. If MorphOS users like the "plug-ins" they can buy them. In the meanwhile, MorphOS 1.4 is fully paid for. We could even add a few things to this like TCP/IP support.

Nonsense. Have you ever used MorphOS for saying that ?

Leo,
    Waiting for clarifications before going on developments... Unlike many people I won't wait forever.
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »16.11.04 - 07:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    marcik
    @ bbrv & MOS-Team

Don't kill MorphOS! All of you invested lots of skill and money into it. Will you kill it now, when it's becoming very nice, and sucessfull OS? I know that there were lots of misunderstandings and issues, but it's a reason to sth, that you have been working since years? Don't forget about us - users and 3-rd party developers. We want to help to solve the problems, just tell us how.
  • »16.11.04 - 08:15
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    I understand that buying MorphOS, at fifty euros a pop, for example, wouldn't be more than a temporary patch. But I would be very happy to do so, for the sake of support.

No, I don't have a Pegasos. But I like to help. If my money can, then why not?
  • »16.11.04 - 08:18
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

As we own and control this site. We made a decision to leave this post here.

How generous of you.

Quote:

Over time we will post definitive and complete information about the untruth of this post and the person who made it.

Why not do it now? I'd really like to see which parts you consider "untruths".
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »16.11.04 - 10:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Frodon
    Bonjour,

Quote:

BBRV Said:

As we own and control this site. We made a decision to leave this post here.

:-D anim0.gif:-D Thanks to make me laugh ;)

Quote:

BBRV said:

Over time we will post definitive and complete information about the untruth of this post and the person who made it.

Quote:

Bigfoot said:

Why not do it now? I'd really like to see which parts you consider "untruths".

Me too. i'm preparing myself to laugh again :)

Bye

[ Edited by Frodon on 2004/11/16 11:35 ]
  • »16.11.04 - 10:31
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

marcik wrote:
    @ bbrv & MOS-Team

Don't kill MorphOS! All of you invested lots of skill and money into it. Will you kill it now, when it's becoming very nice, and sucessfull OS? I know that there were lots of misunderstandings and issues, but it's a reason to sth, that you have been working since years? Don't forget about us - users and 3-rd party developers. We want to help to solve the problems, just tell us how.

Like someone else said - MorphOS is on the same track today as it was two days ago. Or half a year ago, actually. This situation was presented yesterday as news, but it's only news to the public. The rest of the MorphOS team seems to have known about this situation for quite some time, and development actions has probably been taken with this in mind. For instance, towards the end of May this year there were a series of shows where the current snapshot of MorphOS was presented, as well as a development roadmap etc. Some of this information was asked by MorphOS developers to be removed from show reports, and when discussed why on IRC, they gave reasons like "we don't want to present to the public features that perhaps even won't be there in the final release". I thought that sounded a little strange at the time, I mean, if you spend a lot of time to implement a feature you usually do it for a reason. But now I think that approach makes sense. The uncertain state of affairs made it impossible to present a final shape of MorphOS 1.5 to the public, since there would be no way of telling if even these basic components like MUI or Ambient would be there in its current form. So this is not a new situation for the other MorphOS developers, only to us, the public.

MUI is very advanced, especially the later versions that has been developed for MorphOS exclusively. Ambient is better than Workbench in a few areas, but many people are using replacements like DOpus or the "real" Amiga workbench on their MorphOS systems, and they do it for a reason. Anyway, both those components are of course important, but they are not the guts of the OS, more part of the visual experience.

The MorphOS developers has a record of using and contributing to the AROS project. Perhaps this will continue on new areas now? I don't know the state at which Zune and Wanderer (AROS MUI-replacement and Workbench replacement) is in, but with a little work they could perhaps offer pretty much the same visual experience to the end user as MorphOS 1.4 does now, and then improve even further so there won't be any need to use Workbench or Dopus as "Ambient-replacements"?

pngicons+wandererprefs.jpegfonts.pngzuneprefs1.png

More AROS screenshots:
    http://www.aros.org/pictures/screenshots/

Perhaps components like these are best developed as open source anyway? It's "only" the visual parts, of course very important to the overall user experience, but it's not the guts of the OS, it's not what makes MorphOS so special so there is no real need for it to keep it proprietary? If these parts are open, more developers may also contribute and help both AROS and MorphOS moving forward in these areas, who knows?

The Frieden guys has said that they will develop a completely new version of Workbench for OS4 from scratch, to get rid of old legacies that limits things. I think it would be really cool if all three OS-distros would use the same workbench, at least as a base. I think that would be really nice; a common uniting denominator! It would sure as hell be possible, but of course I don't think it would ever happen!

:-P

Anyway. David, Stefan, Treveur and Oliver, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your work. I have followed MorphOS since the 1.0 release with my own eyes, and I have enjoyed your work very much. I am very sorry that the situation has come to this. When the well has dried, there is no water. When there is no money, there is no money. I still hope that you will accept some kind of re-negotiation or settlement, and that you agree to continue your development. If you feel this is impossible, then I am very sorry about this, but I wish you the best of luck with your future endeavours. Your work has been appreciated by many of us, remember that!

I would also like to take the opportunity to thank any MorphOS developers that continue to push forward, for no or very little money at all. This is how things are done with the OS4 development, as far as I understand. Obviously there are not very much financial means in Genesi to reward you now, but may the OS develop to something real good in the future, and may there be some great reward for you when the product reaches a real commercial level.

Also, thank you all application developers that continue to push forward. You all rule, and we are many who are very grateful for your efforts. We love you all!

:-)

I don't see a reason for MorphOS to stop here. It has been assured it won't. But if it will, then I will bury the Amiga for good, but it has nevertheless been a good and interesting time, with an extremely interesting technology created (hardware, OS and applications). I am glad I have been here to see it all with my own eyes!
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »16.11.04 - 11:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @ Frodon

Wow, where did you get that, erhmm ... "smiley"?

;-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »16.11.04 - 11:07
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    bbrv
    Bertrand and Mark, if all this was not bad enough you decided to pile on to this free-for-all. We are sad to see this.

Bertrand, you came to us for an internship. We gave you one. By law, we were supposed to pay you 20% of the SMIC. During the all time you worked at Thendic-France you were paid 100% of the SMIC. You also had the chance to travel around Europe. You were paid 859 Euro/mo from 10/02 to 11/03, which marked the end of your internship. The last three months were not been paid by us, but you did get paid by the Government (as we did not default on our responsibilities there). You were paid a total of 7730 Euros (+ the social costs we bore of 5500 Euros) for your internship. We do not think this was bad, particularly since you were not full time at the office, as you still had to go to school. Of course, you also got a very good report from the Company for your Graduation. You are welcome.

Mark, you started in 11/02 and stopped 12/03. You were paid 1270 Euro/mo, plus we paid for your apartment at 732 Euro/mo for a total of 21000 Euros. You were left with 3000 Euros unpaid (not included in the previous number), which was paid to you by the Government. With the trouble we were having you were forced to move from the apartment (which had maid service) into a hotel which we paid 3000 Euros for that one month. You also travelled with us to many shows.

We had alot of fun and we did some really great things for MorphOS and the Community in general. It hurt every one when the things that happened did.

Nowee never had a full time contract (CDI). He was conditionally employed for three months and given a two month extension. He also omitted the fact that we sent him money in January 2004. Pegasos Japan was never finished. Pegasos Espana was a good site, but he took it down quickly and Pegasos Portugal was nearly done too but never completed. What the basis for his claim is now is very strange to us. His comments about Pretory are completely ignorant.

As for the root of this whole matter, David and the others have hurt themselves and MorphOS. David has been paid roughly 40000 Euros, Stefan 20000 Euros, and Oliver 3600. When Oliver was not paid he did not work. Stefan worked partially for three months. We have no idea what David did in the interim.

MorphOS 1.4.2 is fully paid for and licensed. This is what gets shipped with the Pegasos. It is not the sales driver, but we still promote it because we believe it has a future. We won't stop doing this.

We are not sure we will ever be able to support MorphOS as we once did, but we did deliver an ODW to Paolo Cattani this week, because we thought a few people might appreciate a Virtual Grand Prix 2 MorphOS port.

Let's see how the situation develops next.

Raquel and Bill
  • »16.11.04 - 12:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    artickfox
    No matter what problems are, developers must be payed. So, i can only full agree their decision to do not release MOS until they get a full reward. And I don't blame developers if they will drop MOS project if they don't have they rightfully money in short time. If I was then, I have denunced and drop all this thing much time before.

If Genesi alredy know to do not pay them, they should warn them and let they find a way to have a work until a development can be again financed.

If all become lost, I can only hope some of MOS team maybe will help AROS team. They have alredy some collaboration in past, AROS maybe will "save" some concept putted in MOS development...
    Virtual Paws:
    http://www.furryitalia.net/virtualpaws/index.htm
    Italian furry videogame site

Furry Italia
    http://www.furryitalia.net/
    Italian Furry Comunity

- Owner of a Pegasos 2/G3 -
  • »16.11.04 - 12:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DoctorMorbius_FP
    As always, the opinion of takemehomegrandma is carefully thought, expressed, weighted, and well-balanced. He is able to look deeply at the core of the facts and elucidate all the details.

And as always I agree 100% with him (I'm sorry, takemehomegrandma, but I'm mostly silent, so never told you this before).

Now that the real problem is known to everyone, it is time to find a solution once and for all. The direction to follow in the future must be chosen as soon as possible, because further delays could be catastrophic for the future of the platform, IMHO.

I hope all the parts involved will meditate as much as possible before adopting their ultimate decisions.

Somebody, like me, could lose almost 20 years of his life with Amiga-like computers. But this is not terribly important, anyway, because I had much fun in those years.

The thing that all of us could really lose is much, much more: the DREAM, that extraordinary dream which incredibly allowed us to stay here together until now...