• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Quote:

meguca wrote:
    So yeah, how did others find this really cool, somewhat hidden, OS?

It was planned for years as a modernisation of AmigaOS, originally as a PPC native AmigaOS 4 (following on from 3.1, published in 1992).

Its competitor, Hyperion's AmigaOS 4 (which doesn't run on Macs) hogged much of the limelight due to successfully securing the AmigaOS name but ended up being years late with poor hardware, lots of (hidden) developer clashes, and endless litigation, pretty much queering the pitch for MorphOS.

Most people running MorphOS would have moved to it the early 00s as their Amiga hardware started to crumble. They were a minority of the then-late Amiga community; most either preferred some support for the (terribly out of date, even by then) Amiga hardware graphics chipset (which MorphOS never even pretended to provide), or were swayed by cynical disinformation campaigns aimed at knocking out MorphOS as a competitor. Even more potential users left because of the squabbling, or because by this point Windows or Linux were far better alternatives to them.

Anyway... very few people have discovered MorphOS just as an alternative to mainstream operating systems on PPC Mac. I'm happy now to know one, and I hope there'll be more. I hope you enjoy the OS.

[ Edited by KennyR 09.02.2020 - 18:20 ]
  • »09.02.20 - 19:18