• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

amigakit wrote:
    @Jim: Good to hear about the test results. Real life puts all this other stuff into perspective.

Doesn't it though.
    I am greatly relieved.

And a few months ago, hearing Bill Buck make positive statements regarding Aeon, and at the very least neutral statements about Ben Hermans, while still insisting "we could still all pull this together if we just cooperated"...

Well, I think we all need some perspective.
    Mike B. at Cloanto now owns the Amiga trademarks.
    Ben definately holds the only license to develop from OS3.1 source code.

Aeon has an excellent contractor designing its boards (I've known Paul longer than I've known Trevor).
    And Roberto Innocenti has managed to come to an agreement with Acube to help design a T2080 based laptop motherboard.
    While Raptor Engineering stands poised to introduced an affordable consumer oriented Power9 based motherboard.

Things actually look better for Amiga NG then they did when Hyperion and Amiga Inc were at odds and Bill was making wild statements about specs for systems that were supposed to be designed by Ack Systems.

BTW - The specs for the best system McEwen quoted were surpassed by the X1000.

We live, we grow.

Heck, if I can, I might just have to come to Sacramento this Fall.
    Hang out with AmigaDave and Acill.
    Who know how long any of us has, but shouldn't we be working toward something positive?

Red/Jim - That last quote "Just because they cater for other "variants" of AmigaOS (not based on original source-code although there is some debate about that), does not exclude them from supporting the project."

Sure the "there is some debate about that" is a snipe.
    But the statement in its entirety invites us to participate in OS4 development. Isn't that what Mark did when he wrote the network driver for Aeon? Or when Fab opened up his Odyssey source code to the community? And what about developers that span multiple NG OS'?

An OS5, opened up to public development with elements of both MorphOS and OS4 would be interesting. You wouldn't need the Friedens' kernel, the MorphOS micro kernel is better, you could choose between Reaction and MUI, Workbench and Ambient (or even Scalos). Some of the parts of MorphOS that need work (graphics specifically) could be improved, while Reggae could be upgraded or replaced.
    And we could include 64 bit, SMP, memory protection in a box that would not preclude the running of OS4 or MorphOS PPC boxes concurrently.

Look even if this never happens, I'm going to look into VM solutions that will allow MorphOS to run concurrently with other operating systems.

The hardware is getting powerful enough now that some systems like the Blackbird should eventually be able to emulate PowerMacs, SAM460s, or the X5000 with ease and plenty of threads to spare (so concurrent OS4, MorphOS, Linux, BSD, etc. - its almost inevitable).

Sure, X64 is the way to go, but unlike you I'm not likely to look back at OS3.1 as the primary legacy software I want to run. Most of that can be run on my CD32 with an SX1. I'm going to want to fool around with PPC software under a variety of OS'.

Of course, that will likely be secondary to my use of MorphOS NG/X64 (hopefully on a Zen based platform).

[ Edited by Jim 21.05.2019 - 07:26 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »21.05.19 - 03:30