AmiWest 2017 Demo
  • ASiegel
    Based on the official show announcements, Acill will be exhibiting MorphOS as well as other projects.
  • »23.09.18 - 16:16
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    I realize this may have limited interest here beyond Paul's participation. Nevertheless:

Questions for AmiWest 2018 Exhibitors/Presenters

Until such time as the list of presenters (stage presentations) is published, we'll have to stick to the exhibitor list.

Contents of this thread will be in the hands of AmiWest. It will be their decision based on content/duplication etc. as to which questions are asked at the show as a supplement fo questions from show attendees.

The way you can best support your friends, companies, and representatives at the show starts with you. Please put some thought into your wording and ask questions in a serious manner.

Please post your questions in the format:

@name of exhibitor from the list below
    [question]

This is essentially a copy of the information on the following listed page.
    Further information on the exhibitors with clickable links:
    AmiWest home page
    I'll monitor this list for any changes/additions.

AmiWest exhibitors:

Sacramento Amiga Computer Club
    Sponsors of AmiWest since its founding in 1998 by SACC club members. The Amiga show on the West Coast of the U.S. and venue for the Amiga community gathering in the United States from all points on the planet. We have counted many Amiga luminaries among our members, among them the legendary Jay Miner. We currently maintain the Jay Miner memorial software library.

AMUC
    Amiga Users of Calgary, Canada, has been organized and active since 1999. Thank you for sponsoring AmiWest and keeping the flame alive in Canada! See their page link above for information on their AmiJam show.

A-EON Technology, Ltd.
    New AMIGAone hardware company bringing the Amiga X1000 and X5000 with dual-core PPC CPU and custom Xena chips to market.

AmigaKit
    World #1 Amiga hardware and software dealer for Amiga classic and emerging Amiga platforms, including A-Cube SAM series and A-EON X1000 and (soon!) X5000..

AmiWest broadcast
    Broadcasting Amiga shows for 20 years from all over North America. The technology has envolved from just IRC to IRC and Webcam to IRC, Webcam, and Streaming Audio, to IRC, Webcam, Audio, and Video. Tune in to see and hear the show live with real time Video Toaster effects.

Amiga On The Lake
    Amiga On The Lake, "The First Primarily "Amiga New Generation" Reseller on Planet Earth!" (other planets pending ), will be ably represented by owner Aaron Smith and company at AmiWest 2018. Talk to him about all the new Amiga NG offerings for both hardware and software! Thanks for supporting Amiga Future Forward!

Amiga Apps
    Amiga experts show AmigaOS applications and configurations for the 21st century! You won't want to miss what these guys are bringing!

Inertial Computing
    Inertial Computing exhibits again at AmiWest 2018, celebrating 33 years of Amiga. Exhibitor Alex Perez, long-time AmiWest Broadcast member and AmigaOS beta-tester and developer, is bringing his exhibit to AmiWest 2018. "Inertial Computing is a Silicon-valley based think [tank] dedicated to developing and engaging the Amiga hardware and software development community and enabling creative re-use of what others may consider antiquated and/or obsolete computer technology." Inertial will also be selling the new SCSI25DB adapters, adapting the old SCSI interface to a micro SD card. And there's several other projects as well! You've got to come see it all at AmiWest!

Bay Area Retrocomputing Club
    BARCC is a NEW retro computing club in the San Francisco Bay Area supporting AmiWest 2018. Whatever retro machine interests you (Sinclair, TRS-80, C64, and more) you are welcome. It's a "big tent." See their site for more info on meetings and come talk to them at AmiWest 2018.

Bit By Bit Software Group
    From their website: "BITbyBIT Software Group LLC was formed in November of 2003 by Jamie Krueger as a new software development company dedicated to producing high quality software for the latest release of the AmigaOS4(tm) operating system, AmigaOS4(tm). The primary focus of the company is to bring a new level of professional software development tools, in an easy to use graphical environment, to the AmigaOS4(tm) platform. This software development suite is called AVD." Come see AVD and talk with Jamie at AmiWest 2018!

SACC guy
    SACC Guy returns for AmiWest 2018 as one of our two SACC member exhibitors. He is actually one of the founders of AmiWest. He has many things to say about Amiga and is a very engaging conversationalist as well as a major X5000 beta tester. Come see his table at AmiWest 2018!

Ascil Amiga Tech
    Retro computer tech Paul Rezendes will be at AmiWest 2018! He is bringing new projects that you won't want to miss! Be sure to see his table!

Chris Brenner, engineer
    Chris Brenner, returning SACC member and hardware engineer, has been wow-ing us at SACC with new hardware running old games - in 1080P resolution! You've got to see what he is bringing to AmiWest 2018.

Infocessories
    Infocessories, the Amiga REBOL community presenting the Relative Expression-Based Object Language by Carl Sassenrath. We will also have accessories (mice, accelerator boards, etc.) for your classic Amiga for sale. There might even be a computer or two for you to purchase. Come visit our table.

• »05.10.18 - 16:06
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Probably should have been spawned as its own news article?
  • »05.10.18 - 21:06
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    Probably should have been spawned as its own news article?

Given one grand total reply so far from 3 websites, I don't think it merits more than its addition to this existing AmiWest thread.
    But I have no issue if anyone wants to move it.

• »05.10.18 - 21:20
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Quote:

A-EON Technology, Ltd.
    New AMIGAone hardware company bringing the Amiga X1000 and X5000 with [...] custom Xena chips to market.

AmigaKit
    [...] dealer for [...] emerging Amiga platforms, including A-Cube SAM series and A-EON X1000 and (soon!) X5000.

Inertial Computing
    [...] Inertial will also be selling the new SCSI25DB adapters

Ascil Amiga Tech

I think it wouldn't hurt to correct some incorrect and/or obsolete information at the AmiWest homepage ;-)
  • »05.10.18 - 23:18
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    Quote:

A-EON Technology, Ltd.
    New AMIGAone hardware company bringing the Amiga X1000 and X5000 with [...] custom Xena chips to market.

AmigaKit
    [...] dealer for [...] emerging Amiga platforms, including A-Cube SAM series and A-EON X1000 and (soon!) X5000.

Inertial Computing
    [...] Inertial will also be selling the new SCSI25DB adapters

Ascil Amiga Tech

I think it wouldn't hurt to correct some incorrect and/or obsolete information at the AmiWest homepage ;-)

I'm having enough trouble keeping up with the appearing, disappearing, re-appearing text concerning Hyperion, thanks. heh.
    Source

• »05.10.18 - 23:35
    KennyR
    Schrödinger's Hyperion - they're simultaneously there and not there. And like quantum physics, the observed state depends on who is asking and how. But unlike quantum physics, the "there" state depends on whether they can milk any publicity without having to pay for it or get into more legal shenanigans.

But in the end, who really cares. AmiWest broadcasts are forty-five minutes of listening to people having problems setting up presentations or the hotel wifi, followed by several hours of filming empty chairs at the sound of people talking in the distance. And if you're really lucky, a presentation you can either see or hear but never both.

It really should be put out of its misery. It was sad 15 years ago. Now it's worse.
  • »05.10.18 - 23:43
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sacc-user
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:

But in the end, who really cares. AmiWest broadcasts are forty-five minutes of listening to people having problems setting up presentations or the hotel wifi, followed by several hours of filming empty chairs at the sound of people talking in the distance. And if you're really lucky, a presentation you can either see or hear but never both.

It really should be put out of its misery. It was sad 15 years ago. Now it's worse.

@kennyR
    Thank you your kind words.
    As one of the co-founders of AmiWest..

I'm sorry that you find us ready to be put down. (ouch) really?
    I want you to know that our little user group endeavor is all voluntary and the little
    budget we have is mostly to pay the hotel and it's services (i.e. net access)

WE know that this is not the broadcast quality our many followers want,
    But it is what we can afford.
    You could, if you wish, bring your knowledge and resources to help,
    and make our little show better.

sacc-
  • »06.10.18 - 20:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    I do plan to bring my powerbook with the latest updates to 3.10 this year, but not my X5000. I intend to focus more on having fun and enjoying the show this year. I will be happy to show off some of the features though. I have mine setup rather nice and very much use it to run Amiga and native apps.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »06.10.18 - 20:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I do plan to bring my powerbook with the latest updates to 3.10

3.11?
  • »06.10.18 - 21:54
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    Schrödinger's Hyperion - they're simultaneously there and not there. And like quantum physics, the observed state depends on who is asking and how. But unlike quantum physics, the "there" state depends on whether they can milk any publicity without having to pay for it or get into more legal shenanigans.

Breaking my silence with small medi on AmiWest and returning.

Should not be put out. Waiting for Amiga decade happenings is too retro and long.
    What we need is European central Amiga show, since clearly more OS3/OS4/MOS/AROS
    users live at this side of ocean.

From an outsiders perspective:

First years of OS4 development, it looked very promising. You could really
    hear what is new. Who was there, could meet people involved.

As mid-crisis came (2006-2011?) with no real hardware to sell or SAMs emerging in small batches, OS4 scene simply tend to die out. Decisions like not to further develop Acube port to MacMini, to use obsolete PA Semi and CFE, prolongued to eternity development of OS 4.2 and Warp3D for all, fixing Linux for SI cards, Libre office, Timberwolf ... and all other given promises simply nailed it. Prolongued driver development for Tabor and x5000 nails and hurts it further. I mean x5000 users having similar troubles to x1000 and SAM460 owners with betaOS is just proof "Of not learning what NOT to do" - selling half usable,half done package.

I do hope OS 3.1.4 sales will revive it a bit (scene and thus AmiWest).

For several years, I do hear and see Steven dodging serious questions and laughing to what is not to laugh at. I wonder how people being there see and hear differently.
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »07.10.18 - 09:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > What we need is European central Amiga show

http://www.amiga30.de
    http://www.amiga32.de

> mid-crisis [...] (2006-2011?) with no real hardware to sell or
    > SAMs emerging in small batches

OS4 for Sam440ep became available in 2008, so that's when the 3-year long OS4 hardware crisis that started with the non-availability of the Micro-A1 ended formally. I never heard of anyone who wanted a Sam440 back then but couldn't get one. They were plenty available compared to the demand. Of course, it wasn't an option for everyone as the CPU performance of even the 800 MHz version of the Sam440ep-flex was below that of the Eyetech offerings. This only changed in early 2011 with the availability of the Sam460 (discounting the early 2009 availability of OS4 for the Pegasos II here since it wasn't available new then).
  • »07.10.18 - 11:20
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > What we need is European central Amiga show

http://www.amiga30.de
    http://www.amiga32.de

Yes, that is show that has way more exhibitors as is more
    Amiga and less OS4 centric, its in middle of Europe,
    but happends ... from time to time. Such thing should
    go regular and become "AmiEast"

They would however need that great TAWS with DOCS in English :-)

Quote:

OS4 for Sam440ep became available in 2008, so that's when the 3-year long OS4 hardware crisis that started with the non-availability of the Micro-A1 ended formally. I never heard of anyone who wanted a Sam440 back then but couldn't get one. They were plenty available compared to the demand. Of course, it wasn't an option for everyone as the CPU performance of even the 800 MHz version of the Sam440ep-flex was below that of the Eyetech offerings. This only changed in early 2011 with the availability of the Sam460 (discounting the early 2009 availability of OS4 for the Pegasos II here since it wasn't available new then).

While your memory is always great (plus time to check facts) I do believe there were several availability gaps from 2003 to now, of up to several years in between of products. One products puts other out of business, so OS4 was ported to PegII when it was unavail, x1000 is unavail and not fully supported yet, SAM440 and SAM460 are fully supported but not available and x5000 is avail but not fully supported. So no happiness at all.

I dont get why all sys since 2011 all dual core and no SMP, etc. etc. Huge, big mistakes, and not seems to be learning from it. Why SI Cards were chosen for W3D and Linux usablity was not tested before hinting users to switch gfx cards. Why having a hardware and not growing to support it fully, and then moving elsewhere? You get half done half usable systems which are NOT good representation of what Amiga/AmigaOS was, is and should be.

And that it. Factual story hard to turn around by Amiwest shiny promises.
    Miracle expected and always planned. The reason why I loved the MOS style - quiet and getting things done, trying to support hardware to details (even not yet there with G5s and x5000 SI cards/SMP)

Enough from me, really.

[ Edited by vox 07.10.2018 - 18:11 ]
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »07.10.18 - 13:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > happends ... from time to time. Such thing should go regular

Maybe there'll be Amiga 34 next year. A biyearly event would be enough for presenting Amiga development milestones ;-)

> and become "AmiEast"

I've been thinking that "AmiWest" is referring just to the US west coast, not to the entire western hemisphere :-)

> I do believe there were several availability gaps from 2003 to now,
    > of up to several years in between of products.

In my reply I was referring to the 2006 to 2011 time frame you proposed. During this, new OS4 hardware was unavailable in the 3 years until 2008 (end of Micro-A1 to start of Sam440). Regarding "availability gaps from 2003 to now, of up to several years in between of products", I'm not sure there were more than the one from 2005 to 2008 that were longer than about a year (availability of X5000 started 1 year plus 1 month after X1000 was sold out):

2003: AmigaOne XE
    2004: Micro-A1
    2008: Sam440ep
    2009: Sam440ep-flex
    2011: Sam460ex / AmigaOne 500
    2012: AmigaOne X1000
    2014: Sam460cr
    2016: AmigaOne X5000/20

> One products puts other out of business

Not always. There was overlapping availability of at least
    - AmigaOne XE and Micro-A1 in 2004
    - Sam460ex (aka AmigaOne 500) and AmigaOne X1000 in 2012/2013
    - AmigaOne X1000 and Sam460cr in 2014/2015

> I dont get why all sys since 2011 all dual core and no SMP

Sam460 (ex and cr) from 2011/2014 are single-core. The PA6T chip was never available as single-core. The P5020 was likely chosen over the P5010 because of the relatively small price difference (especially in light of the board price) and for better potential saleability to users of SMP-capable OS (even if just in multiboot with OS4).

> Why SI Cards were chosen for W3D and Linux usablity was not tested
    > before hinting users to switch gfx cards.

Warp3D drivers for Linux-supported Evergreen/NI cards were announced as well, but didn't come to fruition unfortunately.

> You get half done half usable systems which are NOT good representation
    > of what Amiga/AmigaOS [...] is

...or are they? ;-)

> MOS [...] even not yet there with G5s and x5000 SI cards/SMP

Yes, support for the PPC970 power saving modes (beyond complete switch-off) would be useful. SMP support isn't something I expect to ever come for MorphOS on Power Architecture.

Edit: some corrections and additions thanks to number6

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 07.10.2018 - 22:40 ]
  • »07.10.18 - 18:25
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

2003: AmigaOne XE
    2005: Micro-A1
    2008: Sam440ep
    2009: Sam440ep-flex
    2011: Sam460ex / AmigaOne 500
    2012: AmigaOne X1000
    2014: Sam460cr
    2016: AmigaOne X5000/20

Not to be picky, but since you always strive for historical accuracy, the AmigaOne XE and Micro-A1-c overlapped.

Whereas the MicroA1-c (originals, not the salvaged batches) were still available in mid 2005...
    Trevor purchase and HJF's declaration of "showstopper"

The AmigaOne XE was available until almost 2005. The last 2 I know of were prepared by a dealer in December 2004. These were the ones shipped to Amiga Inc. for the Garry Hare irc session.
    Source
    and followup

They had never seen their "approved" h/w before these were shipped to them.

• »07.10.18 - 18:57
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the AmigaOne XE and Micro-A1-c overlapped. Whereas the MicroA1-c [...] were still
    > available in mid 2005... [...] The AmigaOne XE was available until almost 2005.

Thanks. I changed the Micro-A1 release year to 2004 and added the overlapping availability of the AmigaOne XE and the Micro-A1.
  • »07.10.18 - 20:49
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sacc-user
    @thread

You all do realize..

AmiWest is a user group show to present anything Amiga related!

The vendors, business, Devs and others present and make any announcements they want there.
    I believe they like to do so due the gathering we inspire.

AmiWest and SACC just setup the venue.

sacc
  • »08.10.18 - 02:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > MorphOS presentation about to start

Recording:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6qXufqDy3A

Unfortunately, a multitude of false, misleading or obsolete information given (e.g. price, Radeon 9200 in X5000 PCI slot support, X5000 onboard Ethernet support, printing system, soundcard support, reason for PCIe-based G5 non-support, supported models of G5, PowerBook, iBook and G3 Macs).
  • »17.10.18 - 23:34
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > MorphOS presentation about to start

Recording:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6qXufqDy3A

Unfortunately, a multitude of false, misleading or obsolete information given (e.g. price, Radeon 9200 in X5000 PCI slot support, X5000 onboard Ethernet support, printing system, soundcard support, reason for PCIe-based G5 non-support, supported models of G5, PowerBook, iBook and G3 Macs).

Well I guess I was given wrong info when I asked. I also mentioned to other I wasnt completely sure why the PCIe version isn't supported. The Radeon 9200 PCI card support is new to me. I could of sworn I tried mine in the X5000 from my Mediator and it worked.

As far as price that was corrected by a viewer. I haven paid for a key since it was released and I dont remember what I paid, I mentioned I think the price was lowered as well. The G4 powerbooks with radeon, ibooks and G5 I mention should all be correct. Since when do non radeon models of the 12" work?

Lastly I was asked to go up and demo real fast with nearly no notice so I did the best I could. I would much rather see a dedicated MorphOS member come out to this show and do a proper demo from a real team member. I mean people from Europe come out, no reason we cant get a good demo up and running. They are interested and I had people at my table using my Powerbook all weekend.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »21.10.18 - 19:20
    Profile Visit Website
    KennyR
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    Lastly I was asked to go up and demo real fast with nearly no notice so I did the best I could.

Yeah, I saw that. The usual shit at Amiwest where MorphOS is concerned.

[ Edited by KennyR 21.10.2018 - 21:23 ]
  • »21.10.18 - 20:23