AmiWest 2017 Demo
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Still wonder what's the issue with an el cheapo pre paid mobile card to provide some video/skype session. I mean is the US infrastructure even worse on mobile networks than it is in Germany (which is really not very advanced in broadband/high speed mobile networks compared to many Asian or other European countries, but getting a mobile to fluently do a video chat is not that difficult even in underdeveloped Germany...)?
    And if the hotel does not provide the required infrastructure - change the hotel. I mean this is a computer party - a powerful net access is quite a prerequisite IMHO.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »23.10.18 - 23:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Still wonder what's the issue with an el cheapo pre paid mobile card to provide some video/skype session. I mean is the US infrastructure even worse on mobile networks than it is in Germany (which is really not very advanced in broadband/high speed mobile networks compared to many Asian or other European countries, but getting a mobile to fluently do a video chat is not that difficult even in underdeveloped Germany...)?
    And if the hotel does not provide the required infrastructure - change the hotel. I mean this is a computer party - a powerful net access is quite a prerequisite IMHO.

ok. You're talking about finding a solution that would allow someone from MorphOS team to do this.
    The idea of a recorded demo also speaks to a MorphOS team member doing this in the event there is no solution to the connectivity issue.

But...

Both idea point to MorphOS team member doing this, right?
    Until a decision is made to either:
    (1)go on as always with a user presentation or
    (2)make the presentation more official through having a MorphOS team member agree to take this on...

the discussion ends as it always does each year with no decision.
    No offense. Just an observation from reading a few years here.

• »23.10.18 - 23:51
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Still wonder what's the issue with an el cheapo pre paid mobile card to provide some video/skype session.

Because the moment you start talking about the kind of data allowance you'd need for streaming, mobile internet quickly becomes non-cheapo.
  • »24.10.18 - 14:50
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:

Because the moment you start talking about the kind of data allowance you'd need for streaming, mobile internet quickly becomes non-cheapo.

The term 'cheap' is relative, of course, but 10GB for 45 USD (prepaid, no contract) is not that terrible. You can chat for quite a long time with 10GB of data unless you insist on streaming 4K video.

That being said, there appears to have been a live video stream from the show. I am not saying the internet at the hotel could not be improved but it seemed to be good enough to have a one-way live video feed at least.
  • »24.10.18 - 16:21
    guruman
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:

In the past, the MorphOS development team provided access to unreleased software so it could be exhibited at AmiWest. I also personally assisted David to get the embroidered shirts done for the show and helped with various other promotional materials. Moreover, we had numerous community members share recommendations on what software should be presented when they were asked on MorphZone.

From my perspective, it has been a mutually supportive relationship.

For what is worth, I can confirm that I always got some kind of support from the team and from André specifically whenever in the past I partecipated to Italian shows and presented MorphOS. Andrè always sent promotional and graphic material when contacted, and usually asking on the #morphos IRC channel on Freenode resulted in some unreleased betas of software (sometimes simple new tools, in other occasions something tastier, like a first beta of Sputnik - those were the times!) and support. About the information that is given by a user resulting not 100% factual, probably in these situations it is better to be honest and not give answers ("Honestly I don't remember", "cannot speak for the team about this") than to try to recollect from memories. But of course this is less important, I think that any effort from a user is appreciated, also from a felow user point of view.

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »25.10.18 - 21:50
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I guarantee if Andreas himself was ever in the situation
    > where he had to give a presentation on no notice and told
    > to hurry it along, he's almost certainly stutter and repeat
    > himself over and over and say the occasional stupid thing.

Indeed, if I attempted to give a presentation on a subject I have no firm knowledge of and tried to answer questions I only have a vague idea what the correct answer might be, it would probably end way worse to the point of a totally miserable fail. That's why I'd never ever give a presentation in such case. I know what I know and what I don't :-)
  • »26.10.18 - 14:57
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > probably in these situations it is better to be honest and not
    > give answers ("Honestly I don't remember", "cannot speak for
    > the team about this") than to try to recollect from memories.

This. Referring the audience to the official MorphOS website for any information one isn't absolutely sure of and which is to be found there is the best solution (or workaround) I can think of.
  • »26.10.18 - 14:58
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I dont know many that use an X5000 as their main machine
    > now for MorphOS other than me.

Yes, it seems to be very few. And it's one user of MorphOS on the X5000 less now because he switched back to a PCIe graphics card 3D-supported by OS4 so cannot run MorphOS on his X5000 anymore. He says he tried with a PCI Radeon 9200 but to no avail. As you said you got this configuration to work, you may be able and willing to help him there so that he can return to using MorphOS next to OS4 and write more nice articles on MorphOS :-)

link to thread
  • »26.10.18 - 15:37