AmiWest 2017 Demo
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Paul "Acill" Rezendes will be demoing MorphOS 3.10 on his X5000 at a table rented be David "AmigaDave" Morris today and tomorrow.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »21.10.17 - 10:12
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Due to the very last minute notice of this its going to be quite simple. I have it installed with no sound. I also had to kill my hard drive so I lost all my personal stuff on the SSD I had with me, so its just going to be a clean install demo and what some of the features are in the core OS over whats in AmigaOS.

Its up and very stable though!
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »21.10.17 - 16:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    Due to the very last minute notice of this its going to be quite simple. I have it installed with no sound. I also had to kill my hard drive so I lost all my personal stuff on the SSD I had with me, so its just going to be a clean install demo and what some of the features are in the core OS over whats in AmigaOS.

Cool. Mark said he would devote time to your sound issue after the show.
    But since you are using a Sound Blaster Live, he doesn't think its the driver or the hardware, more likely an issue involving interrupts.

Thanks for the demo, Paul.
  • »21.10.17 - 16:50
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    Quote:

Acill wrote:

Hi Acill,

Just use USB Speakers. MorphOS 3.10 supports USB Audio.
  • »21.10.17 - 17:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

zukow wrote:
    Quote:

Acill wrote:

Hi Acill,

Just use USB Speakers. MorphOS 3.10 supports USB Audio.

Oh, hey, that's a good idea!
    If it works, I think Mark disabled the audio drivers on the ISO Paul is using, but that might not include USB...I don't really know.

[ Edited by Jim 21.10.2017 - 14:16 ]
  • »21.10.17 - 18:15
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Oh, and in case no one noticed, Trevor mentioned Paul's demo at the end of his Q&A session.

Edit - AND Paul is giving a small demo Sunday.

[ Edited by Jim 21.10.2017 - 21:23 ]
  • »21.10.17 - 18:36
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Well, after some back and forth, a proposed MorphOS demo didn't happen because of display issues with the equipment used at AmiWest.
    Paul was able to provide one on one demos to attendees of the show.

Now all we need is to wait for 3.10 to be finalized and released.

Big thanks to Paul "Acill" Rezendes, David 'AmigaDave' Morris, and Mark 'Bigfoot' Olsen.
  • »22.10.17 - 23:08
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    zbysiuk
    What exaclly is missing in 3.10 to be finalized? I ask because you are closer to the whole thing.
  • »23.10.17 - 06:07
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

zbysiuk wrote:
    What exaclly is missing in 3.10 to be finalized? I ask because you are closer to the whole thing.

Not really, actually I just try to do what I can, and I limit my questions.

Paul's experience with his X5000 illustrates that even with our older drivers/hardware there may still be issues presented by the new platform.
    Bigfoot seems to think Paul's problems relate to interrupt allocation, and he's offered to continue to help trouble shoot the issue.

That's the kind of thing we get in this community.

One of the things that kind of pissed me off during the AmiWest presentation was when an OS4 user kept refereing to Odyssey as 'Oddity', but then he's a big advocate of 'Eyebrows' 2.5 (which isn't available yet, will only work on one NG OS, and appears to have some rendering issues).

I've had help from Fab troubleshooting OWB issues in the past, and OWB is available on all NG OS', but when the OS4 community starts work on something, they keep it to themselves and make pompous comparisons to outside alternatives.
    There is a repeated pattern of this crap and it wore thin awhile ago.

Anyway, 3.10 does appear to be pretty far along in its development cycle, and when its released it will support all previous platforms as well as the X5000.

I'd suggest 'two weeks', but it really could BE two weeks, or two months, I don't think it will be two years (we might be using X64 hardware by then).

So, umm..., 3.10 will be released when its ready.
    And as per usual, they probably won't announce it prior to release.
    Just one day you'll look and viola.
  • »23.10.17 - 12:44
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    So, umm..., 3.10 will be released when its ready.
    And as per usual, they probably won't announce it prior to release.
    Just one day you'll look and viola.

This day better be soon. People grow restless.
    I'm looking forward to Amiga 32 in Neuss. MorphOS-Team devs seem to visit German meetings quite often.
  • »23.10.17 - 13:28
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > 'Eyebrows' 2.5 (which [...] will only work on one NG OS

The m68k version should work fine on MorphOS.

> and appears to have some rendering issues).

"Rendering issues" is surely an euphemism for the ouput of a non-CSS HTML4 browser :-)
  • »23.10.17 - 15:29
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    >"Rendering issues" is surely an euphemism for the output of a non-CSS HTML4 browser :-)

I was trying to be polite.
    And the 68K version doesn't seem like much of an option when we have a better native application. ;-)

Does anyone know if there will be a presence at Amiga 32?
  • »23.10.17 - 15:50
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    My apologies to everyone that I couldn't make it to AmiWest this year. I had a few too many "Real Life" problems to overcome, which prevented me from making the trip to Sacramento.

I really wanted to be there to help out Paul, specially since he had just been in the hospital for surgery the week before the show. I hope that all MorphOS users and the MorphOS Dev. Team appreciates the effort Paul, Mark "Bigfoot" Olsen, and Jim made, trying to get a demo of MorphOS3.10 presented at this year's AmiWest Show.

With luck, we will do it better next year.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »23.10.17 - 16:39
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    zbysiuk
    Quote:

Just one day you'll look and viola

Very dyplomatic :)

Quote:

...and I limit my questions

Thank you very much. You limited your questions but is quite the answer :)
    And yet MOST declared that the x5000 is needed to test new concepts with respect to x64. Do you think they have stepped in the right direction, or have you heard any statements about x64?
  • »23.10.17 - 17:14
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

zbysiuk wrote:
    Quote:

Just one day you'll look and viola

Very dyplomatic :)

Quote:

...and I limit my questions

Thank you very much. You limited your questions but is quite the answer :)
    And yet MOST declared that the x5000 is needed to test new concepts with respect to x64. Do you think they have stepped in the right direction, or have you heard any statements about x64?

I just like PPC systems, so I'm buying one more (as it doesn't look like I'll get support for my 11,2 PowerMac).
    One last system with a processor that is descended from products produced by Motorola Semiconductor, before a final capitulation to the forces of darkness (Intel). ;-)

As to X64, that does seem to be what will be the focus after this release (or the inevitable next release that clears up bugs present in 3.10).

And yes, in a way the current PPC work IS a bridge to X64. The last two systems adopted were our first with PCI-E expansion, and the new video card support is for gpus the utilize a PCI-E interface.
    So a lot of this work provides insight into hardware similar to what we will face when X64 is adopted.

HEY David!
    You arranged and paid for the display table.
    And while its a shame you couldn't attend, life sometimes throws you curves you need to compensate for.

Further, you've been presenting demos there for how many year now?
    You deserve all our thanks.

[ Edited by Jim 23.10.2017 - 13:37 ]
  • »23.10.17 - 17:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the 68K version doesn't seem like much of an option when
    > we have a better native application. ;-)

Compared to this better native application, even a MorphOS-native IBrowse 2.5 wouldn‘t seem like much of an option for most purposes :-)

> Does anyone know if there will be a presence at Amiga 32?

In December 2016, the MorphOS team (cyfm plus other team members) was added as exhibitor.
  • »23.10.17 - 17:52
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    >In December 2016, the MorphOS team (cyfm plus other team members) was added as exhibitor.

Cool. Another opportunity for a demo.
    Do they stream anything from that event?
  • »23.10.17 - 17:58
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > MOST declared that the x5000 is needed to test new concepts with respect to x64.

I don‘t think the X5000 is needed for this or that most declared it was. The new concepts (64-bit, SMP etc.) can be very well tested on G5 Macs. Or which concept is it that can be tested on the X5000 but not on a G5 Mac?
  • »23.10.17 - 18:06
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf schrieb:
    > the 68K version doesn't seem like much of an option when
    > we have a better native application. ;-)

Compared to this better native application, even a MorphOS-native IBrowse 2.5 wouldn‘t seem like much of an option for most purposes :-)

> Does anyone know if there will be a presence at Amiga 32?

In December 2016, the MorphOS team (cyfm plus other team members) was added as exhibitor.

The only systems which really benefit from small footprint browsers are PowerUp and Efika MorphOS set ups.
    For my Efika I mostly use either Sputnik or AWeb APL. Then again it's not that often, that I use my Efika for web browsing. We have plenty better options...
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »23.10.17 - 18:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > MOST declared that the x5000 is needed to test new concepts with respect to x64.

I don‘t think the X5000 is needed for this or that most declared it was. The new concepts (64-bit, SMP etc.) can be very well tested on G5 Macs. Or which concept is it that can be tested on the X5000 but not on a G5 Mac?

Good question. They had the option of supporting new hardware, so they went that way.
    And the SAM460 was what really provided the initial PCI-E exposure (we don't really support 64bit functionality).

I'd have been perfectly happy with 11,2 PowerMac support, as I already own one, but its looking less and less likely that that will happen. ;-(
  • »23.10.17 - 18:18
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    When I was watching that new IBrowse demo I happened to comment to an OS4 user that it looked no faster than the old 68k IBrowse on my G3 Pegasos.

He replied that it looked much faster than the old *PPC-native IBrowse with emulated MUI3.9* on his AmigaONE/OS4. Suddenly the idea of resurrecting a decades-old browser made sense.

(*Edited to clarify)

[ Edited by KennyR 23.10.2017 - 21:32 ]
  • »23.10.17 - 18:40
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Did MorphOS on X5000 ever get demoed at Amiwest? I watched the stream at its allocated slot and they apparently cancelled it because they couldn't get the projector to work with its video output. Must have been really frustrating for Acill.
  • »23.10.17 - 18:49
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    Did MorphOS on X5000 ever get demoed at Amiwest? I watched the stream at its allocated slot and they apparently cancelled it because they couldn't get the projector to work with its video output. Must have been really frustrating for Acill.

No, Acill decided not to do it as the quality of the display when feed into their equipment wasn't as good as he would have liked.

He did give one on one demos to the attendees. I too would have liked to have seen a broadcast demo, but Paul felt it would have reflected poorly on MorphOS. And as his system is set up in a configuration that is supported by OS4, I can understand his concern, since apparently the display was fine locally.

Maybe its time for AmiWest to consider upgrading their streaming hardware. I can understand the nostalgia value of a video toaster setup, but its not really adequate for processing the video signals from newer hardware.

The displays from systems running OS4 were also quite blurry and distorted on the stream. For the most part, I could not make out the text in those images. It was adequate for rendering game displays, but for productivity applications it definitely left something to be desired.
  • »23.10.17 - 18:59
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    zbysiuk
    Quote:

You're right.
    So, the entire Morphos x5000 project in the context of usefulness is unsuccessful unless one wants to buy new equipment with warranty or like Jim is nostalgic. I'm a supporter of PPC, but I try to be rational too - such a computer for 2k is a bit too much, especially since we have G5.
  • »23.10.17 - 19:08
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

zbysiuk wrote:
    Quote:

You're right.
    So, the entire Morphos x5000 project in the context of usefulness is unsuccessful unless one wants to buy new equipment with warranty or like Jim is nostalgic. I'm a supporter of PPC, but I try to be rational too - such a computer for 2k is a bit too much, especially since we have G5.

Well, I don't have to pay VAT, so my price is a little lower than the price most of you would get.
    And I do look at this as the last PPC system I will be purchasing.
    And short of trying to find a SAM460, I don't have any other options to use the new video card support (other than wait for an ISA shift - and I'm not that patient).

As to success of the port (or lack of), well its already running on several X5000s and it hasn't even been released yet.
    And I intend to register a copy.
    If only a handful of people join me, that will make it more successful than the SAM460 port. ;-)
  • »23.10.17 - 19:25