NoviaOS on AmigaOne X5000. What is it?
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Duplicate post

WTF - Obviously, I am on autopilot here.
    You all can discuss this silliness, I'm bowing out.

[ Edited by Jim 20.10.2017 - 15:44 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »20.10.17 - 20:39
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > 2GB of gpu ram and 1GB of system ram?

The screenshot shows 3 GiB of graphics RAM and 2 GiB of system RAM.

New gpus use system ram too for graphic operation 2 GB of gpu ram (ddr3or gddr5) 1 gb of ram is the shared = 3gb
  • »21.10.17 - 08:37
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > New gpus use system ram too for graphic operation 2 GB of
    > gpu ram (ddr3or gddr5) 1 gb of ram is the shared = 3gb

Under AmigaOS 4?
  • »21.10.17 - 13:35
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf schrieb:
    > New gpus use system ram too for graphic operation 2 GB of
    > gpu ram (ddr3or gddr5) 1 gb of ram is the shared = 3gb

Under AmigaOS 4?

Under NoviaOS ;-)
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »21.10.17 - 14:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Well, this nonsense was just explained by Trevor @ AmiWest 2017.
    It is OS4, and they've updated the graphics drivers to allow the system to use graphics ram.
    So, yes, its OS4.
  • »21.10.17 - 18:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > they've updated the graphics drivers to allow the system to use graphics ram.

...more than 256 MiB of that, which has been the limit so far.
  • »21.10.17 - 19:07
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > they've updated the graphics drivers to allow the system to use graphics ram.

...more than 256 MiB of that, which has been the limit so far.

Yes, which explain the point you were questioning.
    And Trevor thought no one caught that, of course you've proved him wrong there, and you drew our attention to that anomaly...what yesterday?
  • »21.10.17 - 19:13
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Trevor thought no one caught that, of course you've proved him wrong there,
    > and you drew our attention to that anomaly...what yesterday?

tlosmx mentioned it first in this thread :-)
  • »21.10.17 - 19:29
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Trevor thought no one caught that, of course you've proved him wrong there,
    > and you drew our attention to that anomaly...what yesterday?

tlosmx mentioned it first in this thread :-)

Yeah, well according to Trevor maybe one person in the OS4 community caught on.
    Here, it was sliced apart for the salient information. ;-)
  • »21.10.17 - 19:34
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

So, yes, its OS4.

...called NoviaOS IV.

Question still remain: why?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »21.10.17 - 19:52
    Kronos
    I just file it under „mistimed Aprils fool“ then.....
  • »21.10.17 - 20:05
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    I just file it under „mistimed Aprils fool“ then.....

Or yet another thing silly from the English.

'Novia'or girlfriend, instead of 'Amiga'which is more like girl-friend, IV instead of 4.
    Kind of obvious when you take it apart.
  • »21.10.17 - 20:22
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Jim, please. The ”mystery” wasn’t really wich OS AeonKit showed in the picture, and not what ”Novia” or ”IV” means.

The question is *WHY* AeonKit posted a picture of the OS where Workbench Screen is renamed Desktop screen, AmigaOS is renamed NoviaOS, 4 is renamed IV, Kickstart is renamed Kick, Workbench is renamed Work, MUI is renamed GUI, Warp3D is renamed Warp, MiniGL is renamed MiniG, SysMon is renamed monsys.

You used the word ”retarded” earlier in this thread. Could be. Could be a weird joke that nobody understands. Or it was a rational reason behind it. Which would be interesting.
  • »21.10.17 - 22:39
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Jim, please. The ”mystery” wasn’t really wich OS AeonKit showed in the picture, and not what ”Novia” or ”IV” means.

The question is *WHY* AeonKit posted a picture of the OS where Workbench Screen is renamed Desktop screen, AmigaOS is renamed NoviaOS, 4 is renamed IV, Kickstart is renamed Kick, Workbench is renamed Work, MUI is renamed GUI, Warp3D is renamed Warp, MiniGL is renamed MiniG, SysMon is renamed monsys.

You used the word ”retarded” earlier in this thread. Could be. Could be a weird joke that nobody understands. Or it was a rational reason behind it. Which would be interesting.

British humor is rather opaque to the rest of us, its just Trevor being 'funny'.
    And there is a fine line between 'funny' and 'retarded'. ;-)
  • »21.10.17 - 23:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:

Can't speak for Trevor, but I imagine that he and/or the person actually doing the work to produce the screen grab or altered photo, changed the names to confuse people and get them talking about it. If they had not changed the name from Workbench to Desktop, as well as the other few changes, it would have been too obvious that it was NOT a Linux distro, and in fact was AmigaOS4.1FE with a new graphic driver.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »22.10.17 - 01:06
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:

Can't speak for Trevor, but I imagine that he and/or the person actually doing the work to produce the screen grab or altered photo, changed the names to confuse people and get them talking about it. If they had not changed the name from Workbench to Desktop, as well as the other few changes, it would have been too obvious that it was NOT a Linux distro, and in fact was AmigaOS4.1FE with a new graphic driver.

I don't know why some of them aren't getting that David.
    You seem to grasp the fact that Trevor was just having a little fun with us (and hinting at the new features in the video drivers).
  • »22.10.17 - 01:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:

Can't speak for Trevor,

Yet you obviously do... ;-)

Quote:

If they had not changed the name from Workbench to Desktop, as well as the other few changes,

They didn’t change “a few”. However, I like the fact that that their new name for MUI is “GUI”. A welcome change, since we no longer have to add the “Franken” prefix in order to separate their incompatible MUI version from the real one...

Quote:

it would have been too obvious that it was NOT a Linux distro, and in fact was AmigaOS4.1FE

And that would have been so stupid...
  • »22.10.17 - 08:04
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:

British humor is rather opaque to the rest of us, its just Trevor being 'funny'.

So for the record:

1. Did Trevor explicitly tell you this? Or
    2. Do you just assume this yourself?

I only ask (before moving on with my life, even I have a threshold for how much OS4 stupidity I can be bothered with) because it would have been much easier to discard this as a retarded joke, if the key Amiga related trademarks replaced in that picture *HAD NOT* been in full legal limbo/dispute.
  • »22.10.17 - 08:04
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:

So for the record:

I only ask (before moving on with my life, even I have a threshold for how much OS4 stupidity I can be bothered with) because it would have been much easier to discard this as a retarded joke, if the key Amiga related trademarks replaced in that picture *HAD NOT* been in full legal limbo/dispute.

i call all just smoke in the eyes...
    at the end nothing interesing done and nothing interesting will be done in future if only this new radeon drivers for make new gpu work on os4 but for do what? there is no software available to use the power of this new gpus ... i have to suggest to made a 6000 euros gpu working on os4 just for move windows
  • »22.10.17 - 11:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    Listen from 2:47:23 for the RadeonHD 3.x driver vram facts.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK5GI-nV6n8

[ Edited by Spectre660 22.10.2017 - 09:12 ]
  • »22.10.17 - 13:03
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:

Yes, stupidity defines the situation, and you seem to be taking it far too seriously.
    And Trevor addressed his posting of 'NoviaOS IV' at Amiwest 2017 yesterday.

So no, I was neither addressed directly OR assumed anything, the info came directly from the horse's...mouth(?).
  • »22.10.17 - 13:12
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Templario
    Amiga 3.9 under linux emulation perhaps?
  • »22.10.17 - 14:41
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

Templario wrote:

that is alice ;-)
    isnt that shot. that shot is a real P5020 on os4 with some photoshoping here and there
  • »22.10.17 - 16:56
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

tlosmx wrote:
    Quote:

Templario wrote:

that is alice ;-)
    isnt that shot. that shot is a real P5020 on os4 with some photoshoping here and there

Or just some creative editing of a few names. Not that difficult.
  • »22.10.17 - 17:30