LibreOffice
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    Quote:

Jim schrieb:
    We've got a good base with our current OS, go 32 or 64 bit, adopt a little endian ISA, memory protection, better OpenGL and graphics support and we got a winning combination.

Let's call it Haiku...
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »30.06.19 - 11:43
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    >> multitasking under Amiga OS was always a hit or miss matter.
    >> Or has everyone forgotten those irritating 'guru meditation' crashes?

> Yes, that's the price to pay for having multitasking without memory protection, no matter the kernel type.

My own experience points to microkernels as being better equipped to handle rogue processes.
    That said. Without memory protection there is always the possibility of kernel coruption.

>> I can't wait to see what [...] Mark, Frank, and Michal come up with for our video subsystems.

>Is Michal available again?
    Keiro? I don't know, I don't ask anyone about the status of the development team. I didn't even know Ralph was still active until I exchanged messages with him about a key file.

>> I don't understand this bizarre fascination with the Amiga.

> Yes, that much has become obvious ;-)

Actually, maybe I do. Why else would I have so much older hardware laying around.
    And while my family has a Nintendo Switch to play with, I've got a CD32 in my den.

>> go 32 or 64 bit, adopt a little endian ISA, memory protection, better OpenGL
    >> and graphics support and we got a winning combination.

> Don't forget SMP support :-)

Definately not, I've been trying to draw proposals out of the OS9 community for the same thing.
    We've begun to use the same MiSTer hardware that many Amigans have adopted, however we also have the advantage of a native ARM port for the two core ARM CPU built into the DE10 nano.

The possibility of coding across the 6809, 68K, and ARM on one platform intrigues me.

One of my main issues with MorphOS has been the learning curve with the 3.1 API and the additional features of MorphOS, and that it's kind of pointless to start writing with a 68K assembler again.

At least with MiSTer, I'll be able to start at a point closer to where I stopped.
    And maybe I'll use the system to explore legacy Amiga structure some more.

The pity is it puts my DE1 on the shelf, but I've had my fun with that.

[ Edited by Jim 30.06.2019 - 18:25 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »30.06.19 - 21:39
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

polluks wrote:
    Quote:

Jim schrieb:
    We've got a good base with our current OS, go 32 or 64 bit, adopt a little endian ISA, memory protection, better OpenGL and graphics support and we got a winning combination.

Let's call it Haiku...

Oh hell, no!
    Don't drag me back to BeOS again, please!

Even AmigaOS stands a better chance at resurgence than that.

Closing my more contentious points, again, I'm confident we have a clean OS.
    A couple of years in tRumps US is enough to make anyone a little pararoid. ;-)
  • »30.06.19 - 21:47
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> I can't wait to see what [...] Mark, Frank, and Michal come up with for our video subsystems.

>> Is Michal available again?

> Keri?

I thought the 'Michal' you mentioned is the one called Kiero ;-)
  • »30.06.19 - 22:56
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >>> I can't wait to see what [...] Mark, Frank, and Michal come up with for our video subsystems.

>> Is Michal available again?

> Keri?

I thought the 'Michal' you mentioned is the one called Kiero ;-)

Misspelling due to an autocorrect function I missed. Sorry, I'll fix that. And yes, I know, you've mentioned it before.
  • »30.06.19 - 23:18
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I'll fix that.

Seems this didn't work so well ;-)
  • »01.07.19 - 20:33
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

polluks wrote:
    Quote:

Jim schrieb:

Let's call it Haiku...

Oh hell, no!
    Don't drag me back to BeOS again, please!

Even AmigaOS stands a better chance at resurgence than that.

Closing my more contentious points, again, I'm confident we have a clean OS.
    A couple of years in tRumps US is enough to make anyone a little pararoid. ;-)

BeOS: Amiga done right. ;)
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »02.07.19 - 11:56
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Addendum:

> Interesting note:
    > "X5000s CPU is not compatible with any FreePascal program at the moment"
    >
    > Is this only true for OS4 or also for MorphOS on X5000?

"Why my Programs does not work on AmigaOS4 X5000? The problem is, that FreePascal itself does not know the X5000 CPU, and it seems to be not a normal PowerPC, but needs some special care. I heard something about special alignment problems. I don’t have a X5000, Charlie doesn’t have a X5000 and we do not know whats special about it to fix that issue. Besides, we both are not really using OS4, we both use [...] MorphOS [...]. [...] If you are interested in Pascal and Amiga(OS4) and want to help with the compiler doing a better job on X5000 [...] you can just do it, it’s open source, send us a patch."
    https://blog.alb42.de/2020/05/30/freepascal-and-x5000/

I have a feeling this doesn't really answer the question, does it? ;-)

But this does:

"I'd like to fix Free Pascal's code generator to work properly on the X5000 on AmigaOS4. [...] My guess is that OS4's kernel doesn't provide a full compatibility with the standard 603/G3 instruction set via emulation, esp. when it comes to various FPU alignment restrictions. (MorphOS might also affected partly, but its kernel is more robust in this regard.)"
    https://twitter.com/chainq/status/1276276393610002433
    https://twitter.com/chainq/status/1276277113474220033

Edit: Finally solved:

"this issue, or at least the worst of it is now fixed in Free Pascal SVN trunk. As usual, the issue was solved with the help of a MorphOS Developer. They provided remote access to an X5000. [...] It was some optional optimization in some memory copy/fill routine, which only works on a subset of PowerPCs - primarily the ones shipped by Apple back then - as it assumes a certain cache line size. This optimization should have been disabled for OS4, but it wasn't. [...] Meanwhile, it was also uncovered, that FPC's PowerPC code generator doesn't really respect a set of FPU data access alignment restrictions, but these are normally hid by the OS via exception handling. These to be fixed soon."
    https://twitter.com/chainq/status/1286752510313668612
    https://twitter.com/chainq/status/1286926079027011584
    https://twitter.com/chainq/status/1286927164303200256

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 18.09.2020 - 22:39 ]
  • »29.06.20 - 15:10