Hints and rumoured sightings of the very shy 3.10
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    To me, I dont know of anything that I would need on my G5 other than recognizing more RAM.

Every release has some Christmas goodies, usually something they soft sell as impossible to improve gets major improvement. The MorphOS Team loves to under promise and over deliver.
  • »03.06.17 - 02:16
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    To me, I dont know of anything that I would need on my G5 other than recognizing more RAM.

Every release has some Christmas goodies, usually something they soft sell as impossible to improve gets major improvement. The MorphOS Team loves to under promise and over deliver.

LOL..true. I'm just curious what the x64 model is going to be. Meaning, the layout, how it will operate, if anything has been done to put MorphOS on x64. Then when you ask the latter, what will set it apart from AROS?
  • »03.06.17 - 05:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:

LOL..true. I'm just curious what the x64 model is going to be. Meaning, the layout, how it will operate, if anything has been done to put MorphOS on x64. Then when you ask the latter, what will set it apart from AROS?

Ambient, better drivers for AMD video card, Reggae, our variant of MUI, lots of things we don't know about yet.
    Do worry, it will good.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »03.06.17 - 06:14
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > better drivers for AMD video card

...but worse drivers for Nvidia cards ;-)
  • »03.06.17 - 11:48
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    Then when you ask the latter, what will set it apart from AROS?

It will still be MorphOS with all the bells and whistles, so aside from compatibility (and new additional features), the same things as today! ;-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »04.06.17 - 00:19
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    I wonder how good it will be though. IE. Haiku is a good reimplementation of BeOS, super snappy. Excellent UI, but something that I hardly ever use even though I have it in a VM. I wonder if MorphOS will be able to run in a VM.
  • »04.06.17 - 01:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    lsitongia
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    I wonder how good it will be though. IE. Haiku is a good reimplementation of BeOS, super snappy. Excellent UI, but something that I hardly ever use even though I have it in a VM. I wonder if MorphOS will be able to run in a VM.

I revisit Haiku every few years. Most recently, I installed it a few months ago. I could not get the mail program to work reliably. I reported that, gave feedback, but it wasn't fixed. When I try a new OS, I'm expecting it to be my daily driver. It's got to have mail, web browser, calendar, contacts, at a minimum.
    Power Mac G4 Cube, MorphOS with Style!
  • »04.06.17 - 16:40
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    Quote:

lsitongia schrieb:
    I revisit Haiku every few years. Most recently, I installed it a few months ago. I could not get the mail program to work reliably. I reported that, gave feedback, but it wasn't fixed. When I try a new OS, I'm expecting it to be my daily driver. It's got to have mail, web browser, calendar, contacts, at a minimum.

Apropos mail client, I don't know why 3.10 will have a band new mail client. Use OWB, YAM or SimpleMail!
    In YAM are for example 22 years of development, and MorphOS needs its own program? *grrr*

Reggae is a "multimedia" framework. What about video support? Nothing. Just burning manpower.
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »16.06.17 - 16:00
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    roschmyr
    Quote:

polluks wrote:
    Apropos mail client, I don't know why 3.10 will have a band new mail client. Use OWB, YAM or SimpleMail!
    In YAM are for example 22 years of development, and MorphOS needs its own program? *grrr*

where did you read that a new mail client will be in 3.10?
    and why not a new client for MorphOS? no more shitty/buggy nlist and proper imap support.

Quote:

polluks wrote:
    Reggae is a "multimedia" framework. What about video support? Nothing. Just burning manpower.

where is here the problem, it is not your time and "manpower"
  • »18.06.17 - 11:40
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > where did you read that a new mail client will be in 3.10?

I guess he read comment #6.
  • »18.06.17 - 12:08
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    roschmyr
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > where did you read that a new mail client will be in 3.10?

I guess he read comment #6.

okay, then it is your fault ;)
    i have follwed the link and there was written Can't promise it'll go public with 3.10, but yes, IMAP is on top of the features list.

i could only remember this statement
  • »18.06.17 - 12:34
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

polluks wrote:

22 years? Perhaps that's why it does not handle IMAP very well. Not to mention it relying on obscure 3rd party MCCs that still werent updated to use proper frames and looks on MorphOS, making the whole app look out of place.
  • »18.06.17 - 17:48
    Profile Visit Website
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

polluks schrieb:

In YAM are for example 22 years of development, and MorphOS needs its own program? *grrr

I would just use ANY email client on MorphOS which has proper IMAP-support. Last time I tried YAM this did not work out at all, last time I tried SimpleMail IMAP worked somehow but was rather crashy.

From this perspective another email client sure has potential, be it MorphOS-native or not. ;-)

[ Editiert durch ernsteiswuerfel 18.06.2017 - 18:51 ]
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »18.06.17 - 17:50
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

ernsteiswuerfel wrote:
    From this perspective another email client sure has potential, be it MorphOS-native or not. ;-)

To use MorphOS as my daily OS I need three things;

1. Real security (on top of the "security by obscurity"), without needing 3rd party software to help make it secure, and built-in, or later, a virus checker.

2. Web browser that works on almost all sites, including banking and web stores, "securely".

3. Email program that works with the most popular email sites "securely".

To use MorphOS daily for fun, I don't need any of the above, but it would be nice to have a web browser that worked well enough to do secure downloads & transactions, from most sites.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »18.06.17 - 20:19
    polluks
    Quote:

roschmyr wrote:
    where is here the problem, it is not your time and "manpower"

I know, MorphOS is a hobby project, everyone can develop what he wants...
    Do you still remember times of version 1.4? Your ISO didn't have a TCP/IP stack but a Tetris clone :-(

Quote:

ernsteiswuerfel wrote:
    last time I tried SimpleMail IMAP worked somehow but was rather crashy.

Feel free to report the bug here
    You know Outlook if someone is sending you a vcf? Just double-click it.
    Okay, so I wrote a small ARexx script, now SimpleMail (MOS, OS3, OS4, AROS) has the same feature.

Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    22 years? Perhaps that's why it does not handle IMAP very well. Not to mention it relying on obscure 3rd party MCCs that still werent updated to use proper frames and looks on MorphOS, making the whole app look out of place.

SimpleMail was written 2000. Well, its IMAP is not perfect but far better than POP ;-)
    In my opinion an OS needs good components (more drivers etc.), less applications (except a browser).

Let's take a look at Unicode support:
    * Linux bash? check
    * macOS bash? check
    * even Windows cmd? check
    * MorphOS MUICON? fail
  • »18.06.17 - 21:05
    polluks
    Quote:

amigadave schrieb:
    1. Real security (on top of the "security by obscurity"), without needing 3rd party software to help make it secure, and built-in, or later, a virus checker.

Indeed? Code:
    lock sys: on
    system 100% secure.
  • »18.06.17 - 21:14
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > email sites

What's that?
  • »18.06.17 - 23:52
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > email sites

What's that?

I guess he meant GMail, Outlook,...
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »19.06.17 - 07:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

ernsteiswuerfel wrote:

2. Web browser that works on almost all sites, including banking and web stores, "securely".

To use MorphOS daily for fun, I don't need any of the above, but it would be nice to have a web browser that worked well enough to do secure downloads & transactions, from most sites.

I am not sure what No.1 actually means. We are pretty close on No.2. And on No.3, I have access to my e-mail via Odyssey since Fab helped me sort out an issue I had doing that years ago.

No. 4, though, I need a good editor/word processor that will allow transfer of files to a from my other hardware.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »19.06.17 - 12:20
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

Well.. I feel much safer under MorphOS with "security by obscurity" and behind the firewall of my router, than for example using Windows with its built-in virus checker. I don't think we have much problems with viruses... even Mac people use their systems without checkers :)

Quote:

OWB works for banking and other accounts pretty well for me, it's quite rare to have problems with shopping either. What do you think is the security problem here?

Quote:

I'm happy with POP3, and SimpleMail has worked just fine with GMail, Outlook (365), and several ISP related accounts... with TLS mostly. It uses pretty new openssl implementation nowadays, so what's the problem with security again?

[ Edited by jPV 19.06.2017 - 15:07 ]
  • »19.06.17 - 13:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    scrAb_
    Quote:

Indeed? Code:
    system 100% secure.

...ehm...what?
    MacMini@1.5Ghz 1GB/DualBoot Morphos3.1/DebianPPC - Efika MX sb
    PowerBook 5,9
  • »20.06.17 - 19:27
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

scrAb_ wrote:
    Quote:

Indeed? Code:
    system 100% secure.

...ehm...what?

Write protects the system partition. I had all my partitions locked on Amiga, and a hotkey to unlock/lock them again... I knew every write to the system :) But have slipped from that practise on MorphOS...

At least it secures from any unwanted software etc, but doesn't of course protect from data moving on net :)
  • »20.06.17 - 20:29
    Profile Visit Website
    polluks
    Quote:

jPV schrieb:
    Write protects the system partition. I had all my partitions locked on Amiga, and a hotkey to unlock/lock them again... I knew every write to the system :) But have slipped from that practise on MorphOS...

At least it secures from any unwanted software etc, but doesn't of course protect from data moving on net :)

Correct :-)
    VPDF and Transfer want to save their settings for no reason :-p
  • »20.06.17 - 21:35
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

polluks schrieb:
    Feel free to report the bug here
    You know Outlook if someone is sending you a vcf? Just double-click it.
    Okay, so I wrote a small ARexx script, now SimpleMail (MOS, OS3, OS4, AROS) has the same feature.

I wrote the authors an email with the bug description at that time and even donated some money via Paypal. Only later I realized there was a specific bug tracker. The 3 bugs filed there pretty much describe my problems, so I skipped the "me too"-part on the tracker.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »21.06.17 - 14:00