California Amiga Events
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    As per Andre's request, a separate thread.

As I am sure many of you are aware, the 30th Anniversary of Amiga event is being held in Mountain View on July 25th and 26th. There should be a wide range of guests in attendance.
    And Amiwest is being held October 14th to October 18th in Sacramento.

AmigaDave plans to attend both of these and has asked if anyone other MorphOS users plan to attend as he could use a hand wit his demos.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »16.06.15 - 15:04
  • rob
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    rob
    Tekmage just posted this on Amiga.org

Quote:

Hello All,

Putting out the call to see if any MorphOS users are interested in supporting a MorphOS table at the Amiga 30th event. Right now David Morris has stepped up to provide support on our historical display. I'd like to see a dedicated table to a presentation of what MorphOS has to offer.

We have about a dozen Amiga and Commodore engineerings show up and they are going to be very interested to see how the Amiga sprit has proliferated over the last 30 years. This will be a unique opportunity to show case the technology for that important early group of Amiga developers.

If someone is interested please PM me.

Cheers,
    Bill

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=69391
  • »18.06.15 - 16:46
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Thanks Rob,
    Again, is there anyone who can make it to Calfornia?
    There might be a free pass in this for you.
  • »20.06.15 - 20:39
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Thanks Rob,

I can promise free entry into the computer show, for someone who will help out at the MorphOS display table. I also think I can get a free banquet dinner ticket for such volunteer, but can't promise it until I talk with the main organizer's.

Jim, it should be you, and remember the help I have offered to you if you can just get a plane ticket there.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »21.06.15 - 07:31
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Thanks Rob,

I can promise free entry into the computer show, for someone who will help out at the MorphOS display table. I also think I can get a free banquet dinner ticket for such volunteer, but can't promise it until I talk with the main organizer's.

Jim, it should be you, and remember the help I have offered to you if you can just get a plane ticket there.

Thanks David, trust me, it bugs the f**k out of me that I can't make this. Its going to be a unique opportunity to meet a lot of people I'd love to talk to.
  • »21.06.15 - 13:18
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Still looking for help at the MorphOS display table for the 30th Anniversary event at the museum of computer history in Mountain View, California on July 25th & 26th.

I have also tried to contact MorphOS Dev. Team members, to get their input for what should be displayed, and permission to use their official logo and copies of the text from the official MorphOS website on handouts that I would print at my own cost, but I have not received any response, and I am running out of time.

I think it would be a great shame if there were no dedicated MorphOS display table at this event, and the only representation of MorphOS was limited to one or two MorphOS systems with a brief description on the tables designated for a timeline of history from the A1000 to the X5000, with one of every model of Commodore Amiga, as well as many AmigaOne systems, in order of release dates. In my opinion, that would be a very poor representation of MorphOS, if it is only a couple of systems in that timeline display.

That is why I am trying to organize a dedicated MorphOS display table, but could really use some help, as I am already confirmed for helping out with many other systems for the show from my Amiga collection, as well as helping out with miscellaneous tasks at the show, as needed.

If you can attend the show and can help me out, or if you have any advice on how to make the dedicated MorphOS display table special, please contact me.
  • »01.07.15 - 10:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Bump!

The only MorphOS Dev. Team member I have an email address for is Jadacaps, and he has informed me that he is no longer active with the group, since the birth of his child. He suggested that I contact Frank Mariak, instead of himself, to ask for permission to use the official MorphOS logo, and to copy the text from the official MorphOS website pages, so I can use it on posters at the dedicated MorphOS display table at the 30th Anniversary event in Mountain View, California.

Do any of you have a contact email address for Frank, or any of the other MorphOS Dev. Team members who can give me such permission? Perhaps one of the team members will see this forum message and contact me? I only have a little more than 3 weeks to design and print out posters and handouts for a MorphOS display table, and I am getting nervous about running out of time.

I would rather not attempt to organize a dedicated MorphOS display table at this event, than to do it and not have a good result. Again, I think that this show is a great opportunity to show former Amiga users how great MorphOS really is and I don't want to miss the chance to show people what MorphOS can do, but without any help, it is going to be very difficult for me to complete this task, as well as all of the other tasks that I am helping out with during the show and banquet events. If you are a MorphOS user who is going to attend this event, please contact me and let me know if you can help.
  • »03.07.15 - 08:38
  • ASiegel
    @ amigadave

Have you tried the email address listed on the MorphOS website?

Link: http://morphos.de/imprint

Feel free to use any of the logos although the website versions may be a bit small to be used for printed materials.
  • »03.07.15 - 10:23
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Do any of you have a contact email address for Frank

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7379&forum=12&start=1

> or any of the other MorphOS Dev. Team members who can give me such permission?

http://www.morphos-team.net/team has links to the team members' websites right after most names. Some of the websites mention the private email address.
  • »03.07.15 - 10:31
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    eliyahu
    @amigadave

hopefully you'll have a terrific MOS table at the 30th anniversary event -- but even if you don't get any additional volunteers, will you be able to make this year's amiwest? i had posted a thread about it earlier this year (link), but the response was, um, less than hoped. i'd like to see some MOS presence this year as last year we didn't really have any.

-- eliyahu
  • »03.07.15 - 17:53
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Thanks for all who replied to this thread.

I did look for contact email addresses to several different MorphOS Dev. Team members, but every link I checked for their websites did not result in me finding any email addresses (I did not check all of the member website links, only a few).

I will use one of the email addresses suggested to contact the team and ask if any of them have a higher resolution logo I can use to put the butterfly on a poster.

@eliyahu,

I am not sure I will be able to make it to AmiWest this year, but if I can, I will be there, and I will attempt to represent MorphOS better than I did last year (which was almost nothing, other than having my G4 PowerBook available running MorphOS). It is hard to stay motivated at promoting MorphOS in California when there seems to be so little interest from the MorphOS Dev. Team to promote at these events, and almost zero other MorphOS users willing to help out at the AmiWest shows, or the upcoming 30th Anniversary event.

I am still trying to get all of my things moved to my new permanent residence in Northern California, so I have little time to prepare for either event, but I will do everything I can to make a dedicated MorphOS display table happen at both events. I am already committed to providing 2 or 3 MorphOS capable systems for the "History of Amiga Timeline" tables. But I would still like to have a table dedicated to only MorphOS promotion, if possible.
  • »05.07.15 - 04:53
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

I will use one of the email addresses suggested to contact the team and ask if any of them have a higher resolution logo I can use to put the butterfly on a poster.

If you can provide an email address other than your earthlink one, which has made it impossible to reach you thanks to overzealous spam protection before, I am sure you can be sent some files. Do you still use your morphos-user.com address?
  • »05.07.15 - 08:47
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    If you can provide an email address other than your earthlink one, which has made it impossible to reach you thanks to overzealous spam protection before, I am sure you can be sent some files. Do you still use your morphos-user.com address?

I also have a gmail account, so you can send files there without having any problem with spam blocker software. My gmail account is "bbhs74".

If you could send me the official MorphOS logo in a higher resolution, that would be very helpful.

Thanks,
    David
  • »06.07.15 - 02:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

@ASiegel,

Did you see my previous message with my gmail account address? I have not received any messages from any of the team members, or anyone else who has a high resolution image file of the official MorphOS butterfly logo.

I am running out of time to work on this, and beginning to think that if I am the only user who cares about MorphOS being represented at this and other events in the USA, maybe it is not worth my time and efforts.
  • »08.07.15 - 20:41
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Quote:

amigadave schrieb:
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

@ASiegel,

Did you see my previous message with my gmail account address? I have not received any messages from any of the team members, or anyone else who has a high resolution image file of the official MorphOS butterfly logo.

I am running out of time to work on this, and beginning to think that if I am the only user who cares about MorphOS being represented at this and other events in the USA, maybe it is not worth my time and efforts.

I forwarded your request to MorphOS Team to asiegel's email including your gmail address now ...
  • »08.07.15 - 20:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Thank you Frank,

The stress caused from packing and moving is making me irritable and putting me in a bad mood, so forgive the tone of any of my recent messages on these forums.

I will be so glad when the move is completed. Hopefully I will have at least a week between the last day of moving things, and the date of the show, so I can relax and prepare all of my computers that are being used during the show, with the latest OS updates, and lots of cool software applications and games.

I want to show the many former Amiga users who come to the show how well MorphOS runs, and many of the applications, utilities, and games that have been written for MorphOS, or ported from other platforms. I think that many of them will be surprised at how many different hardware choices are available to run MorphOS on, and many of them may have old Mac systems in their closets or attics, which are compatible and can run MorphOS3.9.

If I have the extra time, I may even burn several blank CD's with the Mac version of MorphOS3.9, and give them away to show participants who tell me that they have compatible hardware to run it at home. That way they will be more likely to try it out, instead of going home and forgetting to download MorphOS3.9 for themselves and then forgetting all about trying it in a few weeks.

I am both excited and stressed that there is too little time to prepare for this show. Hopefully the excitement will surpass the stress, and I will enjoy volunteering my time to help out at this event. We have many people working on organizing this show, so I am sure that it will turn out to be one of the best Amiga shows to happen in the USA for a very long time. I also hope that we get several hundred people to attend (a few thousand would be even better).

@everyone,

Please send your suggestions about what should be shown during the show. I will have 4 to 6 MorphOS systems set up (2 or 3 on the "History of Amiga" tables, and 2 or 3 on the table dedicated only for MorphOS), so I can have many different software suggestions running at the same time, but on different systems.
  • »09.07.15 - 02:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I may even burn several blank CD's with the Mac version of MorphOS3.9

The morphos-3.9.iso is the same for PPC Mac, Pegasos and Sam460.
  • »09.07.15 - 08:23
  • ASiegel
    @ amigadave

I will get back to you today.
  • »09.07.15 - 09:12
  • ASiegel
    @ amigadave

I have shared a folder with you on Google Drive. You should have received an email from Google about this. If you are not familiar with Google Drive, after logging in to your GMail account, just visit https://drive.google.com

Please note that the sizes of all larger poster designs were chosen to fit international paper formats which are different from those that are common in North America (metric vs. imperial, etc.). Those pictures may have to be cropped to fit on US paper sizes. However, I did include at least two small poster designs that fit on US letter paper sheets and can be printed on a home printer. Depending on whether your printer supports borderless printing or not, I made to sure to include one version with a white border.

Please also note that some pictures use the CYMK color format which is common for print materials. Some software applications may fail to display them correctly (or at all). On the other hand, any materials that include "rgb" as part of the file name may have to be converted to "CYMK" before they can be printed by a professional printing service. (Some companies will do the the conversion for you, others will not and may simply print the designs with wrong colors, as happened to me with FedEx Office.)

If you need any assistence with the files, please let me know.
  • »09.07.15 - 10:28
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @ASiegel,

Thanks for providing those files. I have not tried to enlarge png image files before, do they scale well to larger sizes, or is it dependent on what program I try to use for that purpose?

@AWolf,

I mentioned the Mac version of the ISO only because I would expect some of the former Amiga users to possibly have an old PPC G4 or G5 Mac in a closet or attic, but doubt very much if any of them have Pegasos, or SAM460 systems, even if the ISO will work on those rare systems as well as the many G4 and few G5 Mac systems that are supported.

I am still looking for suggestions from the other members here for what software they would think is best to demonstrate during the show. I am hoping to have 4 to 6 MorphOS compatible systems running, between the History table(s) and the table dedicated to MorphOS alone. Please add any suggestions for software to present during the show by posting a message to this thread.

I also would very much appreciate help at the MorphOS table from any MorphOS users who are able to attend the show on either, or both show days. Let me know if you are attending the show, and even if you can only help out at the MorphOS table for a few hours, any time you can volunteer will be helpful. If I can't find any other MorphOS users to help out, I am afraid that the MorphOS display table will be "unmanned" at various times during the show, when I am busy helping out with other tasks, plus some brief moments when I want to look around and see everything that is displayed by others, or listen to the various speakers who are scheduled to give talks during different times throughout the show.
  • »14.07.15 - 03:33
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    @ASiegel,

Thanks for providing those files. I have not tried to enlarge png image files before, do they scale well to larger sizes, or is it dependent on what program I try to use for that purpose?

The file format is not relevant for scaling images per se. PNG uses lossless image compression so there is no degredation of quality if you save the image again in this format.

Did you click on "Add to Drive" in the upper right corner? You need to left-click each image and then select "Download" to access the full quality version of each file. (A number of the files are not in PNG format.)

In your earlier post, you mentioned a need for logos that you can use for handouts. The PNG logos I provided are sufficiently detailed for use on US letter size paper sheets. If you needs changed and you want to print something larger, please specify what size you have in mind.
  • »14.07.15 - 08:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> I may even burn several blank CD's with the Mac version of MorphOS3.9

>> The morphos-3.9.iso is the same for PPC Mac, Pegasos and Sam460.

> I mentioned the Mac version of the ISO only because I would expect some of the
    > former Amiga users to possibly have an old PPC G4 or G5 Mac in a closet or attic,
    > but doubt very much if any of them have Pegasos, or SAM460 systems, even if the
    > ISO will work on those rare systems

Even more reason to just call it MorphOS 3.9 :-)
  • »14.07.15 - 13:19
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:

The file format is not relevant for scaling images per se. PNG uses lossless image compression so there is no degredation of quality if you save the image again in this format.

Did you click on "Add to Drive" in the upper right corner? You need to left-click each image and then select "Download" to access the full quality version of each file. (A number of the files are not in PNG format.)

In your earlier post, you mentioned a need for logos that you can use for handouts. The PNG logos I provided are sufficiently detailed for use on US letter size paper sheets. If you needs changed and you want to print something larger, please specify what size you have in mind.

I may need to re-download the files again, I'll check the files I have on my hard drive to see what I ended up with. I think I Right clicked each file to download them, not "Left Clicked".

I don't know how much a local printing shop will charge to make a 36" wide, or 48" wide poster size print of any of those images, but if it is less than $100 US dollars, I will try to get a new poster made for this event, and reuse it at later AmiWest Shows in the future as well.

If anyone wants to create a new poster design and send me the file for it, I may use it for my poster, instead of the images ASiegel has suggested and provided.
  • »15.07.15 - 03:16
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

I may need to re-download the files again, I'll check the files I have on my hard drive to see what I ended up with. I think I Right clicked each file to download them, not "Left Clicked".

"poster_cloud" should be in TIFF format and 28 MB in size. If it is a PNG file, then you have not downloaded the original files.

Quote:

I don't know how much a local printing shop will charge to make a 36" wide, or 48" wide poster size print of any of those images, but if it is less than $100 US dollars, I will try to get a new poster made for this event, and reuse it at later AmiWest Shows in the future as well.

For reference, FedEx charge 85 USD for a mounted and laminated 36 x24 inch poster. I would expect local copy shops to be a bit more expensive than that.

Quote:

If anyone wants to create a new poster design and send me the file for it, I may use it for my poster, instead of the images ASiegel has suggested and provided.

I am afraid you are not providing sufficient information for anybody to provide a print-ready poster design. For instance, 36" x 24" and 48" x 36" are some of the most common poster sizes in the United States. However, both sizes have different width-to-height ratios so you cannot use the same design for both sizes without further editing (cropping & scaling). Also, print companies usually request specific bleed margins to be added which requires knowledge of the final poster size and the company-specific bleed margin width.

Anyway, I can confirm that "poster_abstract" and "poster_cloud" should both be sufficiently detailed to be printed in 36" x 24" or 48" x 36" (but definitely not in bigger sizes).
  • »15.07.15 - 11:15
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I was successful in getting MorphOS3.9 installed on my Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac w/FireGLX3 R420 Radeon video card, 1tb hdd, & 8gb RAM (1.5 usable to MorphOS) last night. Strangely it took 3 tries to get it to boot after the installation finished, but they say "3rd time's the charm".

I will connect it to the Internet this morning (in about 6 or 7 hours, so I should try to get some sleep now), so I can complete the registration process. I will also be updating the other 4 MorphOS systems to 3.9, but I am worried about getting the Efika running again. The IDE controller on it is so flaky, doing new installs or updates is usually a nightmare.

I would have left the Efika at home, but the show organizers wanted it there on the History Table(s) as part of the timeline progression.

My plan is to use the Efika, 1.5GHz G4 MacMini, & over-clocked single 1.5GHz G4 PowerMac MDD on the History Tables, and reserve my 1.67GHz 17" G4 PowerBook and Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac connected to a 37" LCD TV at the dedicated MorphOS display table.

I'll be spending the rest of this week preparing all of my systems for this show, and would welcome any suggestions for software to display during the event.
  • »22.07.15 - 12:47