AmiWest 2015 - October 16th through 18th
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    eliyahu
    @thread

looks like amiwest is a 'go' this year! from the official amiwest blog:

Quote:

Yes, AmiWest returns for an 18th show! The Sacramento Amiga Computer Club proudly presents AmiWest 2015 at the Holiday Inn Express, 2224 Auburn Blvd., Sacramento, CA. We are currently negotiating with the hotel for room rates for this year and will post them as soon as they are available

This year, we celebrate 30 years of the Amiga community. Little did anyone realize 30 years ago what shape the Amiga community would be in 30 years later. We're not sure anyone even thought about it those terms then. And Amiga has become a community, somewhat unique in the world of IT.

Dates for the show are October 16-18, 2015.

full details are available at amiwest.net. it would be really nice to boost attendence of MOS users this year, so i hope to see some of you there. it's always a great time! just ask amigadave. :-)

-- eliyahu
  • »05.05.15 - 17:46
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Doesn't really matter to MorphOS users, as it focuses primarily on OS4.
    If Trevor demos an X5000 it might be interesting, but then it will be running OS4.
    AND Steve Solie will be there, and frankly I think he is full of sheisse.

[ Edited by Jim 06.05.2015 - 09:22 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »06.05.15 - 15:20
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    We should have our own event.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »06.05.15 - 21:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Jim schrieb:
    I think he is full of sheisse.

[ Edited by Jim 06.05.2015 - 09:22 ]

While I may agree on the matter you missed out a "c" between s and h and (Germany and Austria only, switzerland not) you should use a "ß" (sharp s) instead of ss for a correct spelling. But since English is still cool in German speaking countries and pseudo English even cooler, just skip to the according spelling: shice!
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »06.05.15 - 22:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ausPPC
    A shice by any other name would smell as Solie.
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »07.05.15 - 00:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Doesn't really matter to MorphOS users, as it focuses primarily on OS4.
    If Trevor demos an X5000 it might be interesting, but then it will be running OS4.
    AND Steve Solie will be there, and frankly I think he is full of sheisse.

Yup. Strangely wb_coder gave me poop recently for saying something similar. I don't know what that was about.

Realistically, Amiwest has been an OS4 promotional even for the last decade at least. They will tolerate other Amiga-like systems, but really just because they are potential customers.

I'm not even sure why they are holding an Amiwest this year, considering it is just a month or so after the so called Amiga 30th Celebration, which is really nothing more than Amiwest on steroids that they e-begged funds for. That function is organized by the same people, has the same corporate sponsor as Amiwest, and will be promoting the same NG solution as Amiwest.

[ Edited by redrumloa 11.05.2015 - 08:43 ]
  • »07.05.15 - 00:58
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Sorry for use a translation program, but as has been said, shit by any other name still stinks.
    And having talked to Steven, I can say he talks a good game, but clearly he is frequently talking out his ...
  • »07.05.15 - 01:07
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:

I tried a couple years back, but I could literally count on one hand the people interested in going. Part of it is that I am not an experienced show organizer, and part of it is the fact there are no other MorphOS users within literally 1,100+ miles of me, down here in South Florida (USA).
  • »07.05.15 - 01:11
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    The last AmiWest i went to was to show off the Pegasos 2 shortly after it came out. We paid for a table and the disrespect we were given and alienation was horrifying. I havent been back since and dont plan on it unless something amazing comes out, which I cant really see happening.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »07.05.15 - 01:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Epsilon
    Hi All,

I went to Amiwest last year for the first time, and didn't know what to expect. I found it was a great event with friendly people, all passionate about the Amiga, in whatever form.

I was an exhibitor at the event and brought a MorphOS 3.7 Powerbook G4, Icaros Desktop laptop and a Minimig to display at the show itself.

By far the most interest at my table was in the MorphOS build - a number of people attending were genuinely curious about it and asked me plenty of questions about it. Showing people how it worked in the flesh opened plenty of eyes I think.

I think there is a place for MorphOS at AmiWest every year. It is not an OS4 only show - indeed a lot of the focus there is on Classic Amiga systems from what I observed.

AmigaOS4 gets attention because Amigakit/A-eon are there each year, they support the event financially as a sponsor and they tend to do announcements of new products there too.

I would expect that if MorphOS team representatives were present with an exhibitor stand and wanted to launch 3.8 or run presentations (live streamed to the world) about MorphOS at AmiWest (for example), there would be plenty of interest in it. Having the X5000 and Sam460 versions of MorphOS to show off at AmiWest would be fantastic! ;-)

I can't comment on what has happened in the past (I don't know the history I'm afraid), but this year is the 30th anniversary of Amiga. It would be great to put the bad feelings of the past aside and have all the various Amiga systems, Classic and NextGen (AROS, MorphOS and AmigaOS4) represented at AmiWest.

Catcha,
    Epsilon
  • »07.05.15 - 02:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    The last AmiWest i went to was to show off the Pegasos 2 shortly after it came out. We paid for a table and the disrespect we were given and alienation was horrifying. I havent been back since and dont plan on it unless something amazing comes out, which I cant really see happening.

I am sorry you had such a bad experience at the time. That being said, AmigaDave had shown MorphOS systems for several years at AmiWest since then. According to his reports here on MorphZone, he felt welcome.
  • »07.05.15 - 11:10
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Epsilon wrote:
    Hi All,

I went to Amiwest last year for the first time, and didn't know what to expect. I found it was a great event with friendly people, all passionate about the Amiga, in whatever form.

I was an exhibitor at the event and brought a MorphOS 3.7 Powerbook G4, Icaros Desktop laptop and a Minimig to display at the show itself.

By far the most interest at my table was in the MorphOS build - a number of people attending were genuinely curious about it and asked me plenty of questions about it. Showing people how it worked in the flesh opened plenty of eyes I think.

Well, thanks for demonstrating MorphOS.

Quote:

I can't comment on what has happened in the past (I don't know the history I'm afraid), but this year is the 30th anniversary of Amiga. It would be great to put the bad feelings of the past aside and have all the various Amiga systems, Classic and NextGen (AROS, MorphOS and AmigaOS4) represented at AmiWest.

If you choose to attend again this year, bring your Powerbook and they will be :-)
  • »07.05.15 - 11:14
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:

Geit´s triannual "Geit@Home" events have a strong focus on MorphOS. You will likely meet more registered MorphOS users (or members of the development team) at any one of these than you will at AmiWest. Plus, entry is free.
  • »07.05.15 - 11:25
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:

Geit´s triannual "Geit@Home" events have a strong focus on MorphOS. You will likely meet more registered MorphOS users (or members of the development team) at any one of these than you will at AmiWest. Plus, entry is free.

Well, that works for the Europeans.
    But it isn't any closer for me than Amiwest (which is still too far away for me to consider practically).

Now if any of you wants to go on the Motorhead cruise scheduled for this September, I need at least one cabin mate (since the rooms are minimum double occupancy).

I think by now you guys know how fond of hard rock I am. I missed a chance to meet KK Downing (I let my ex wife go in my place). Since Lemmy is 68 (and his health hasn't been that great recently), I feel I have to go on this trip.
    And the possibility of meeting the guy that wrote "God Was Never On Your Side" intrigues me.

Anyway, since I only speak English and my coding skills are beyond rusty, I'm not sure I am up to the intellectual challenge of interacting with you guys directly.

All I can offer is my encouragement, support, and admiration.
  • »08.05.15 - 15:11
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:

I am sorry you had such a bad experience at the time. That being said, AmigaDave had shown MorphOS systems for several years at AmiWest since then. According to his reports here on MorphZone, he felt welcome.

Yes Dave has gone several times since and from what I hear had a very positive experience. I still feel the same though sadly.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »10.05.15 - 14:17
    Profile Visit Website