Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Maybe its better to use resorce to make sync usb stack in Mos

Could you elaborate?
  • »01.08.15 - 20:02
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Condor
    USB stack on MorphOs is not good like on Mac/Win or Linux...but this is OT.
  • »01.08.15 - 20:29
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Can someone who has experience with, or knowledge of how and where to set up bounties for software projects, create this bounty for jacadcaps? I will take the advice of others here on the forum and change my offer to match all donations made from other people, so that the total amount can be raised quickly.

[ Edited by amigadave 03.08.2015 - 07:14 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »03.08.15 - 16:13
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    As long as it's kept optional. I hate the trashcans on other systems where it just doubles the work (first delete the file + empty the trashcan, or pressing several (sometimes cryptic) keys instead of just pressing del key to remove files without putting them to thrashcan).

For me it's more comfortable to use .recycled/.deldir solution, which is completely automatic and also stores the files deleted by system/programs. I'm not sure if I've ever had to restore any files deleted by myself, at least my deletions go 99.99% correctly and trashcan style solution isn't needed in practise :)

It would work better if the oldest files were deleted from trashcan automatically, lets say after 30 days.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »05.08.15 - 08:43
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

itix wrote:
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    As long as it's kept optional. I hate the trashcans on other systems where it just doubles the work (first delete the file + empty the trashcan, or pressing several (sometimes cryptic) keys instead of just pressing del key to remove files without putting them to thrashcan).

For me it's more comfortable to use .recycled/.deldir solution, which is completely automatic and also stores the files deleted by system/programs. I'm not sure if I've ever had to restore any files deleted by myself, at least my deletions go 99.99% correctly and trashcan style solution isn't needed in practise :)

It would work better if the oldest files were deleted from trashcan automatically, lets say after 30 days.

Trashcan also will take space on the HD, and at least I have HDs full all the time, can't imagine I could fit removed archives/music/videos there :) .recycled/.deldir purges its contents in that kind of situations automatically, but that can't probably be implemented to this kind of trashcan we're talking, because it makes a user to assume that files are there until manually (or timedly) emptied... or at least there should be a requester asking if it's ok to purge it in that situation :)
  • »05.08.15 - 09:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    The project has been successfully funded.
  • »23.08.15 - 14:14
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Damn, means I'll have to actually do it now :)
  • »23.08.15 - 17:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

You can do it!

I just hope it is worth your time and effort, for so little reward.

Your challenge is how to complete such work, while coding only during the naps that your new family member takes. ;-)
  • »24.08.15 - 03:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

amigadave schrieb:
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

You can do it!

I just hope it is worth your time and effort, for so little reward.

Your challenge is how to complete such work, while coding only during the naps that your new family member takes. ;-)

Wasn't Fab the man with the new family member?
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »24.08.15 - 08:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

It's not just him :)
  • »24.08.15 - 09:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

jacadcaps schrieb:
    Quote:

I see, congrats to you.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »24.08.15 - 10:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Sorry there was no word from me about this project. It's still on the TODO, but that list hasn't moved in a long while - turns out I'm still working on the project I wanted to finish before looking into this. I'll let you decide whether it was worth it or not once the next MorphOS release comes out...
  • »01.08.16 - 01:58
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

What, did you adopt a bunch of penguins?

*runs to the hills*
  • »01.08.16 - 05:00
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Quote:

Crumb wrote:
    I don't like Trashcan concept as it's mostly useless. SFS .recycled dir is a better idea for the reasons listed by JPV, but I never had to use it. Like JC Marcos says... the user is supposed to know what he`s doing.

BTW, if you want to recover lost/deleted files you can use SFSDoctor, it's included with the OS.

[ Edited by Crumb on 2010/1/13 21:40 ]

Originally in Workbench 1.x you couldn't just delete files, you had to drag them to the trashcan and then empty the trashcan. There was no 'delete' option at all. That's put people off the trashcan for a long time.

There were attempts to get AmigaOS a trashcan, some freeware, but they suffered from placing *every* temporary file in the trashcan. To get around that you could just add the functionality to Ambient but that means that anything you delete not using Ambient wouldn't be protected.

I like .recycled in SFS. It does what it should and it stays out of the way.
  • »01.08.16 - 08:56
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    Originally in Workbench 1.x you couldn't just delete files, you had to drag them to the trashcan and then empty the trashcan. There was no 'delete' option at all. That's put people off the trashcan for a long time.

Oh, was it so? :) I don't remember using trashcan for its intended use ever... even with floppy based A500/KS1.3 I already did use DOpus for all filemanagement and it did have the direct delete button. I just remember that I used trashcan to have some temp files at early A1200 times, but never emptied it :P
  • »02.08.16 - 15:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    What, did you adopt a bunch of penguins?

No, I do have a 2 year old kid though. That's as bad as a bunch of penguins.
  • »02.08.16 - 15:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    No, I do have a 2 year old kid though. That's as bad as a bunch of penguins.

2 years already? Damn, time flies.. My 2nd one is already week old ;)
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »02.08.16 - 16:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    turns out I'm still working on the project I wanted to finish before looking into this. I'll let you decide whether it was worth it or not once the next MorphOS release comes out...

Intriguing! :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »02.08.16 - 18:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    I'll let you decide (...) once the next MorphOS release comes out...

We could be long dead by then ;)
  • »02.08.16 - 18:16
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    I'll let you decide (...) once the next MorphOS release comes out...

We could be long dead by then ;)

Don't be so negative, I'll bet if the X5000 was available for purchase now, we would have a release of MorphOS3.10 to support it, along with the few enhancements and/or bug fixes that come with all releases of MorphOS.

So, in a way, Hyperion may be responsible for the delayed release of MorphOS3.10, although if MorphOS3.10 has significant changes for users who don't want an X5000, I'm sure the Dev. Team will release it, no matter if the X5000 is being sold, or not.

I'm interested to see what jacadcaps has been working on instead of the MorphOS Trashcan utility. I'll bet it is something we all can get more use from, and is more important than the questionable value of a trashcan.
  • »02.08.16 - 20:03
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

Don't be so negative, I'll bet if the X5000 was available for purchase now, we would have a release of MorphOS3.10 to support it

No.
  • »02.08.16 - 20:58
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:

Oh, was it so? :) I don't remember using trashcan for its intended use ever... even with floppy based A500/KS1.3 I already did use DOpus for all filemanagement and it did have the direct delete button. I just remember that I used trashcan to have some temp files at early A1200 times, but never emptied it :P

Yeah, the trashcan was pretty useless come KS2.x (or with a file manager), since things didn't automatically go there when deleted. Thomas Richter had a freeware tool called FTrash, which patched the OS to send things to trashcan when deleted by anything in the system. It even changed the icon to show a "bulging" trashcan when you had files in it.

Both the original implementation and FTrash both had the same major problem: files in it weren't actually deleted, and so still took up space. If for instance you used an xpk compressor with FTrash, you ended up with original file and temp file(s). Quickly the HD would fill up with temp files from everything. The original trashcan didn't store temp files but actually dragging anything to it was too much of a pain.

That's why SFS .recycled is better. It keeps everything, but it's not counted towards free space. And it "automatically" deletes stuff when the space is needed elsewhere. So it's not totally like the Windows Recycle Bin, because it doesn't keep stuff until you empty it, but it's more transparent.

(Edit: The Windows Recycle Bin can be set to fill up to a percent of your total HD space. I forgot because I have a 6 TB raid and haven't emptied the thing in years.)

[ Edited by KennyR 03.08.2016 - 16:51 ]
  • »02.08.16 - 21:43