About to try MorphOS :)
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Since 2.4 or so my old Canon PowerShot A430 doesn't need any SimpleCam. Just ptp.class from Poseidon...
  • »11.01.10 - 15:00
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    mihailod

Can you tell us please what your print and network setup is and your process for getting it to work? tia
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »12.01.10 - 00:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    First, I downloaded this: http://www.geit.de/stupid/NetPrinter.lha and installed it following the instructions in there (that was suggested to me earlier in this very thread).

Second, I configured my network printer by putting the IP address of the server and using "lpt1" as the name of the queue (I copied this from my OS X setup on another machine).

I am writing this from memory, if this does not help let me know and I will try to put more details when I get back to my MorphOS machine later tonight.

UPDATE: I am at home and printing does not work anymore. I haven't touched since printing the test pages. My printer config was somehow lost (yes, I did use "Save", not "Use"). What's frustrating is that I cannot make it work anymore even if I repeat the same steps. Bummer. Will play more with it and report if I find anything useful. Right now all programs report "Could not find printer").

UPDATE2: I made it work again by carefully repeating all steps and using the HP LaserJet 4L driver. I rebooted several times and it still works :-)

[ Edited by mihailod on 2010/1/12 19:39 ]
  • »12.01.10 - 01:12
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    Another annoyance... Cannot make YAM to download only new messages. I started it, and expected it to only download what's new since yesterday. However it did not download anything. Like I haven't received any mail. If I use "Get" it will blindly start downloading ~4000 messages again! I guess this setup works if you delete messages from server so only new messages are the ones on the server. However, if you have multiple devices you use to read and send email you want to keep email on the server.

I looked into the configuration options and could not see any way to configure my way out of this situation. Any hints?
  • »12.01.10 - 03:03
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    UPDATE: gave up on YAM since it does not support IMAP. It always wants to download all messages since it does not realize they are old.

BUT, SimpleMail started sending email for me! I guess I was just impatient and did not let it completely synchronize with the server. It does support IMAP and it works fine once it's FULLY synchronized. What do I mean by fully? Well, the last time I tried it downloaded all messages but they were all marked as new which is weird since I read them all. This time I was spending some time tinkering and thinking wht is wrong and all of a sudden I noticed that all the messages are marked as read. Then I tried to send email and it worked! I tried several more times, rebooted program, rebooted MorphOS out of paranoia, it still worked. I guess it had a hard time chewing >4000 messages on my server but once it synced fully it was all OK! (?)

So, for now I have fully solved:

- web browsing (still have to install the YouTube plugin)
    - email (still have to figure out how to import my contact list)
    - remote printing (discussed in this thread)
    - command line help (as mentioned in the "Promote MorphOS" thread)
    - easy one-click invocation of favorite applications (discussed in the same thread)

I can say I have a barebone usable system which is actually not that painful to use anymore ;-)

Misc ramblings: I tried playing music CDs and that just works. It does not pull the track names from Internet or artwork (there are sites I think this can be obtained for free) but it's cosmetic. Haven't tried anything with video playback yet. And also, the emulators are waiting :-) Still lots of stuff to try... Trying to use my scanner will be an adventure I can almost smell it. Then also playing with my image library. I miss dictionary and embedded spell-checker I got used to on OS X (you can probably tell which posts I am writing from OS X (no typos) and which ones from MorphOS :-)
  • »15.01.10 - 06:05
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    Spoke too soon regarding SimpleMail. It is behaving again. :-( Sometimes it will send email and sometimes it won't. I know it's not MobileMe issue since it works with many clients and devices. Does anyone else have IMAP problems like this one in SimpleMail?
  • »15.01.10 - 06:42
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

mihailod wrote:

I can say I have a barebone usable system which is actually not that painful to use anymore

Important: All the things you had to do to achieve this are considered FUN by this community. Do you agree?

Quote:

Haven't tried anything with video playback yet

You will be VERY pleasantly surprised when you realize who's da man behind MPlayer...

Quote:

Trying to use my scanner will be an adventure

What a coincidence, scanners are, precisely, a hot topic in MorphOS, as there's very recent developments ongoing, namely the new "scandal" scanner frontend application.
    I didn't know scanners were used at all nowadays, when everything image-wise is digital, from the begining to the end.

Quote:

I miss dictionary and embedded spell-checker I got used to on OS X

So, you are putting MorphOS against a commercial and recent operating system! And it stands! WOW! This is a task no other Amiga operating system has been able to dream about!
  • »15.01.10 - 09:22
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 15.05.2011 - 09:21 ]
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »15.01.10 - 11:53
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Jeckel
    Quote:

mihailod wrote:
    Another annoyance... Cannot make YAM to download only new messages. I started it, and expected it to only download what's new since yesterday. [...]

I use YAM and I do not delete emails from the server.
    Only new emails are "poped", never had any problem (and I use YAM from v1.0, ages ago).

Maybe you have a configuration problem, or maybe you need to let YAM retrieve all the email once to identify them. Dunno. But at the end, it should work since it works for me.

SimpleMail should work too.

[ Edited by Jeckel on 2010/1/15 15:08 ]
  • »15.01.10 - 14:07
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    @Jeckel:

Thanks, I will definitely play more around. I know it should work. I like to use IMAP and YAM does not support it so I thought I had more chance with SimpleMail. I understand that POP + "don't delete" = "poor man's IMAP", will play more with both... It's just that neither of them "just worked", at least not for me.

@jcmarcos

> Important: All the things you had to do to achieve this are considered FUN by this community. Do you agree?

So you speak for the whole community? :-) I perfectly understand what you mean though. Seriously, I see three aspects to this.

The first aspect is pragmatical. If there is any hope to achieve commercial sustainability of MorphOS on the long run, you either have to increase the price of the license or increase the headcount in the community. And many people who are potential users of MorphOS would have to come from other OSes and they would be most likely frustrated by all this tweaking that needs to be done to achieve some simple and de-facto expected tasks in the present state.

The second aspect is change of context of personal computing. 20 years ago it would not be fun to boot your Amiga from a cassette tape or not to have an Ed command in Amiga DOS for example. Those things were took for granted. Well, guess what, these days web-browsing, printing, emailing, chatting... are things which 99% of computer users take for granted. And if those are hard to setup and, at the same time, you need to sell the OS to them, you don't stand much of a chance.

The third aspect is personal. 20 years ago I would consider all this VERY fun. But now, I just want stuff to work. I don't want to go back in time. Also, I don't want to be a developer and troubleshooter in my spare time. I want to have fun with other things in my life and on my computer ;-) If I did not have a demanding full-time job maybe I would jump on the "MorphOS tweaking fun" bandwagon but, for now, and here, I am just a whiner 8-) It sounds funny but I am pretty sure "I" and "me" in previous sentences apply to many potential users of MorphOS. The tweakers will always find a way to have fun anyways -- heck I knew people who tweaked mainframes and had hilarious fun!

> So, you are putting MorphOS against a commercial and recent operating system! And it stands!
    > WOW! This is a task no other Amiga operating system has been able to dream about!

Of course I do, what is the other measurement? Shoot for the moon, don't strive for mediocracy. I definitely won't compare it to the old Amiga since I don't even remember all the features anymore and, honestly, nobody should even care anymore...
  • »15.01.10 - 19:50
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    @mihailoid You are still a fresh MorphOS user. Some time needs to pass before you will be quite familiar with MorphOS. 2.x is much more better and user friendly than previous 1.4.5 and it's still progressing. No idea why your IMAP account doesn't work as it should, maybe you have some stupid firewall somewhere. You can try a new version of SimpleMail which was released few days ago (thanks to SimpleMail team and henes). http://sourceforge.net/projects/simplemail/files/

[ Edited by Korni on 2010/1/16 2:34 ]
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »16.01.10 - 01:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    Thank you, I am not sure which version I have but I will check this out.

I don't think it's firewall, as I said my mail works fine from several OS X computers and iPhone.
  • »16.01.10 - 01:38
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    I had 0.33. I downloaded 0.35.

First, I could not delete the old one since the Drawer was in use by something. The panel or god knows what. Had to reboot.

Installed 0.35. Cannot run it at all, it says "OS4 Emulator Not Installed". It gives me the link. I guess I need to go there now and Install this emulator now? The old 0.33 just worked by clicking. Did I delete emulator by deleting the SimpleMail? You see how scary and rough this system is...

Whatever... Going there... Another nasty surprise: the given link http://www.lehtoranta.net/ is dead... lovely... Maybe it's just temporarly down? Now what? Google for OS4 emulator for MorhphOS I guess...

[ Edited by mihailod on 2010/1/15 18:51 ]
  • »16.01.10 - 02:22
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    Found OS4 emu here: http://amigazeux.net/os4emu/

Surprisingly small and the installation is smooth. Except it does not help. SimpleMail flashes the startup screen and that's it. Yes, I know... dig for the system console, fire up Snoopium... debug... Re-read the requirements in the readme file... But have to go now... I have other life too! :-) will continue later tonight or tomorrow.
  • »16.01.10 - 03:04
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Better use the 68k version. The OS4 version is quite unlikely to run with OS4Emu. And anyway, there's no speed impact, since the 68k emulation is rather fast.
  • »16.01.10 - 03:38
    Profile Visit Website
    Golem
    Make sure you download the correct archive (the one with morphos in the name, _not_ os4). Os4emu is mostly used as a toy and a tool to start entertaining(?) threads on certain forums.
  • »16.01.10 - 08:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

mihailod wrote:
    Yes, I know... dig for the system console, fire up Snoopium... debug... Re-read the requirements in the readme file... But have to go now... I have other life too! :-) will continue later tonight or tomorrow.

That's not necessary, just download archive for a correct architecture :) Running OS4 software under MorphOS is bit like trying to run Windows software on Linux.. although you might have better luck with those Windows programs ;)

In many cases you can copy new version over old one, you don't lose your old settings then (refering to your remove problem).
  • »16.01.10 - 08:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    Quote:

Installed 0.35. Cannot run it at all, it says "OS4 Emulator Not Installed".

simplemail-0.35-morphos.lha
  • »16.01.10 - 12:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    gooseberry
    [ Edited by gooseberry 24.05.2017 - 09:46 ]
  • »16.01.10 - 18:55
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    I find this thread interesting so far. Even if lot of points could be simple misunderstanding or impossible, I see it like some public brainstorming. As long as it's not useless whining, it's ok and I guess some ideas could even be implemented one day.
  • »16.01.10 - 19:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Debaser
    gooseberry:
    I don't find his posting to be of a trolling nature at all. I think mihailod is simply allowing the public to see what he is experiencing as he takes his first spin of Morph OS and looking for help along the way. I think its pretty good reading actually.
  • »16.01.10 - 20:34
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Crumb
    @mihailod

don't be scared to ask politely!

@Itix

what's up with your web page? :-(
  • »16.01.10 - 21:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    @crumb

The web hotel disappeared without a trace at end of November. I was completely unaware of matters behind hosting company but after asking around I figured out owner had disappeared to Thailand over a year ago...

Vapaus Dot Com ja Isoveli katosivat Thaimaahan?

English translation (google) (Big brother is English translation for isoveli (.org))

Yeah, I dont read news much... :-P

My old email (ilkleht@isoveli.org) including all 4000 emails are also gone with it. Using my good old ilkleht (a) yahoo dot com for now.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »16.01.10 - 22:10
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    Yep, "a public brainstorming" would be a good way to put it.

First, in general, I am trying to depict what an average person will go through while trying to switch to MorphOS for their common daily tasks. While doing that, I try hard to put away my programmer/geek hat and deliberately try to do everything in a "naive" way. Then I report my findings. It's really simple as that. There is no troll conspiracy here :-)

Then, second, I also try to look into MorphOS from a marketing and PR corner a bit and not just because it's interesting to change the perspective from my daily job. It's becaus, if there are any commercial and/or mainstream aspirations to MorphOS (and, the price of 150 Euros implies that), and if there are any attempts to enhance the user-base beyond the shrinking Amiga community, I think my observations could be somewhat useful.

@gooseberry: Looking forward to hear about your experience with MorphOS, what is your perspective on it, and what do you expect from it.
  • »16.01.10 - 22:26
  • Just looking around
    gooseberry
    [ Edited by gooseberry 24.05.2017 - 09:45 ]
  • »16.01.10 - 23:10