What is MorphOS - a brief introduction for folks familiar wi
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    The guide is well written and easy to read.
    There is also a MorphOS wikipedia which is quite informative. Easy to find as well, just google the two words, Morphos wiki.
    Perhaps there should be a link between the wikipedia and your page, and vice versa.
    The wiki seem to go into more technical details, but lacks the part about software compatibility that your page have.

Ps. I see wordworth is still listed as compatible, is that correct? I could not get it to run properly.
    Also it could be worth mentioning that while E-Uae is freely available, the required kickstart rom file is not. As far as I know the only way to get that legally is to buy it from cloanto. Apart from ripping it from your old amiga yourself, which I think is to much hassle for many users.
  • »02.02.11 - 04:15
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Added wikipedia link and a not e that a 68k kickstartfile is required for E-UAE.

WW: I have Wordworth 5 only, but it runs fine. Only if run on its own screen it doesn't return properly to Ambient after closing down. Hence I run it on the Ambient screen only. The installation was a bit tricky. IIRC I just copied over the old installation from my uae amiga directory and changed pathes accordingly. Also it requires the tooltype picasso=true.
    All in all it works nice for my legacy documents.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »02.02.11 - 11:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Great document, Zylesea! What do you think about summarizing it two times? A first summary that takes half the oroginal text, and a second that sums it up into something that would fit into a twitter message.
  • »02.02.11 - 11:27
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Added a word processing screenshot:
    Wordworth5, Amiga writer and google docs - all in one screen shot!

[ Editiert durch Zylesea an 2011/2/2 13:08 ]
    --

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
  • »02.02.11 - 12:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Simon
    Slightly off topic ... I used google docs with MorphOS. Can you use copy-paste in there ?
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »02.02.11 - 13:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Unfortunately not fully. However you can c&p out off google docs to anywhere and it works bidirectional within owb.
    My workaround for such things: if you copy and paste something outside from owb, put it to a local dummy html file, open that with another tab and grab your content there to insert it to google docs. Not the best solution but it works at least.
    --

• »02.02.11 - 13:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I see wordworth is still listed as compatible, is that correct? I could not get it to run properly.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=552&forum=9&post_id=4049#4049
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1465&forum=16&post_id=10665#10665
  • »02.02.11 - 16:36
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Minuous
    You could maybe add a part about getting ReAction programs running under MorphOS.
  • »02.02.11 - 17:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Minuous schrieb:
    You could maybe add a part about getting ReAction programs running under MorphOS.

The intention of that article is not to be a "how to" but just give a brief impression what's it all about. If questions arise, they will be either covered in the further reading suggestions I gave, or just pop in some forum and ask.

Particularly in this case IIRC it is jsut go to Aminet d'l ClassAct and install the classes to sys:classes/ .
    --

• »02.02.11 - 18:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Minuous
    No, what you suggest won't work.
    Those classes on Aminet are obsolete and most ReAction software won't work with them. Eg. AmiArcadia for instance.
  • »03.02.11 - 03:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    Rewriting AmiArcadia GUI to MUI is not such a big deal...
  • »03.02.11 - 07:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Minuous
    Actually it would be a considerable hassle. MUI is not as good anyway so it would be a downgrade.
  • »03.02.11 - 22:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    MUI is not as good anyway so it would be a downgrade.

Can you elaborate more about why MUI is not good enough for making a graphical interface for AmiArcadia?
  • »04.02.11 - 09:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Minuous
    Well, eg. it is well known to be slower than ReAction. So after rewriting hundreds or thousands of lines of code it would run slower than before. Plus it would force users to have MUI on their systems.
  • »04.02.11 - 22:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Minuous schrieb:
    Well, eg. it is well known to be slower than ReAction. So after rewriting hundreds or thousands of lines of code it would run slower than before. Plus it would force users to have MUI on their systems.

Since we're spaking about MorphOS here MUI is part of the system. Expecting MUI to be present is as exotic as expecting C:list to be present. And the claim about the speed is debatable.
    --

• »04.02.11 - 22:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Minuous
    On MorphOS, yes, but not on Classic Amiga.
    Anyway, the point is not really about AmiArcadia, even if that was a MUI application there are still many other ReAction apps. So there would still be a need to get those apps running. It isn't realistic to think everything will be ported to MUI, some of those apps are closed source.
  • »05.02.11 - 21:26
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Actually I know only 2 (3 if we count AmiArcadia) worthwhile ReAction-progs:

- AWeb ..... well pretty obsolete eversince the 1st beta of Sputnik

- ZoneExplorer ? That fractal-thingi from a few years back, maybe nice, never tried.

I won't even consider infecting my systems with this ClassAct/ReAction-crap for any of the above.

Your argument might (and yes only might) be true for someone still running an 030 based Amiga, but for everyone else it will be impossible to tell the difference.

You say that MUI is 3rd party and has to be extra-installed, but I doubt you'll find many Amiga-users that don't have it installed (except maybe for those that only use it for running WHDLoad-slaves).

Dunno how much work it would be to rewrite (and to be honest I can't say I care much).
  • »05.02.11 - 22:11
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Minuous wrote:
    Anyway, the point is not really about AmiArcadia, even if that was a MUI application there are still many other ReAction apps. So there would still be a need to get those apps running.

I'd be interested to see some more examples of the ReAction programs. I can't remember I'd ever used any other than couple programs included in OS3.9 CD... and AMPlifier is the only one I can even name besides the prefs programs there.

BTW. there seems to be MorphOS version of AmiArcadia on Aminet...

[ Edited by jPV on 2011/2/6 13:11 ]
  • »06.02.11 - 11:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    cha05e90
    @Zylesea

Though I'm not new to anything "Amiga-related" and a lot of stuff seems to be very familiar with MorphOS - your introduction was a really nice read! And by looking for this text I found some more very interesting documents, which are very helpful for a (still) MorphOS newbie like mee - thanks for that!
    II/G4
  • »06.02.11 - 11:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Minuous
    >BTW. there seems to be MorphOS version of AmiArcadia on Aminet...

Yes, but no one else except the porter seems to be able to get it running because MorphOS lacks the necessary components :-( hence I thought it might be a good idea to address this in the tutorial.
  • »06.02.11 - 22:49
    Profile Visit Website
    Golem
    Quote:

Minuous wrote:
    >BTW. there seems to be MorphOS version of AmiArcadia on Aminet...

Yes, but no one else except the porter seems to be able to get it running because MorphOS lacks the necessary components :-( hence I thought it might be a good idea to address this in the tutorial.

Or even better in the readme attached to the archive on Aminet, surely the porter could write a few lines?
  • »07.02.11 - 15:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    trotter
    >> It's amazing that after all these years of existence, this was still >>needed.

There're always people who after years of non-caring about recent developments in "Amiga" realm are only just discovering the existence of >MorphOS. Such compact article can give them a basic overview of what >MorphOS is about to help them decide whether to take a closer look at >it >or go elsewhere.

Exactly, without hearing about MorphOS on macs through amiga future magazine or youtube I would not have returned to the amiga fold.

All i knew about was expensive custom hardware that doesnt do enough to meet my general needs. Morphos on Mac hardware makes it alot cheaper and easier to jusitfy.

Martin
    Running MorphOS v3.18 on Mac mini 1.5GHz 64meg VRAM,1gig ram.
    Palm T3 pda along with pixel 4a GrapheneOS smartphone. Updated August 2023
  • »09.02.11 - 16:40
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Update:

>> They should make it a sticky topic in their morphos section.

> If you're referring to amiga.org, then yes, that could prove beneficial indeed,
    > preventing embarrassments like this one in the future ;-)

Seems it didn't help too much unfortunately:

"MorphOS, I've only ever experienced this on a very old version on a real Amiga with a PPC board. I have to say it was just awful and totally useless, from what I know of it now and have seen and read on various sites it's actually even worse now than the old version I tried"
    http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=639050

"I have said my only experience of it was a very old version that runs on my A1200 & BlizzardPPC and that put me off it right from the start"
    http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=639292

How come he's now again claiming to have tried MorphOS on his PowerUP hardware when about half a year ago he admitted that it was in fact *Warp*OS and *not* MorphOS he tried on his PowerUP hardware back then?

Disconcertingly, in between he had the following to say regarding MorphOS:

"To me MorphOS running on a mac sounds interesting as I reckon I may get more use out of a Mac if I can run Amiga progs on it other than just using it for the net like I do with the two I have now..."
    http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=611822

Are there maybe several people using that amiga.org account?

Edit: Added some more of his further confusion between MorphOS and WarpOS.
  • »20.05.11 - 16:13
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    catohagen
    Andreas_Wolf,
    Quote:

You could mention that functional components to make ARexx fully working can be obtained from Aminet for free:

did search, but found 0 results , http://aminet.net/search?query=rexxsyslib.library
  • »22.05.11 - 20:17