• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > It doesn't.

Because?

Because the G5 is a completely different architecture altogether, with a different set of system controllers, etc; you can't just clutch a G5 onto the current system controller of the Pegasos. And the Marvell Discovery II in the Pegasos 2 has limitations when it comes to FSB speed that would take away most of the fun even when using a *single* CPU at higher speeds, like a 7448 which is supposed to go up to 200MHz FSB. You would pay the full high price as all the other 7448 buyers, but you would only get *a part* of the possible maximum performance for your money. And add a second 7448 to it, and sit back watching how your two CPU's take turns in sitting on their ass waiting for data to transfer through the bus, memory controller, etc. So even if you would manage to actually get two CPU's working with the Marvell in the Pegasos2 (which I doubt is possible), and even if you manage to solve the heating problems of two high frequency 7448's in such a narrow space, etc, etc, it simply wouldn't be worth it. So no G5 and no dual CPU's in the Pegasos2.

Quote:

> I don't know whether or not it's technically possible to
    > put 2 CPU's to the Marvell Discovery 2 at all

You just said it's not.

Correct, there was a reason to why Genesi went for the Tundra for their dual CPU design. And there was a reason to why they had to wait for the TSI108 that was supposed to be capable of dual CPU, and then a second revision of the TSI108 that was supposed to be capable of dual CPU, and then the TSI109 that *finally did* become capable of dual CPU's.

Looking at specs in marketing materials is one thing, but the reality is often something else.

Quote:

Right answer is already given here.

Thanks for pointing to the web archive site, it gave me the chance of having a look at this old picture again. What you see in that picture is the ancestor to the Pegasos 1 over at b-plan, it is an ArticiaS development board with dual CPU sockets. But again, promises in marketing materials does not always correspond to what's delivered in reality, as the ArticiaS later showed in several ways; the AGP 2x was merely an AGP 0.5x, the memory bandwidth was piss poor, the DMA coherency was broken, etc, etc, and it had a general unpredictable behavior that made it impossible to use. SMP? Yeah, right. But again, "support" and "specifications" in marketing materials doesn't by any means guarantee support and delivered specs in real life, as there has been many examples of (and I think the 7448 turned out to be another example of that BTW)...

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma on 2009/2/25 23:29 ]
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »25.02.09 - 22:22