• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Crumb
    Quote:

luky-amiga wrote:
    Java isn't too slow - new versions, Java HotSpot techology, etc.
    I'm using Java for 1) realtime computation and visualization and 2) my EEG files viewer is a lot faster than C++ one :-)

perhaps that C++ code/algorithm chosen is not well made or the compiler used isn't very good.

Quote:

Java is most powerful language from my point of view
    - you can write ONE application with GUI and it just runs on Windows/x86, Linux/x86, Solaris/x86, MacOS X, Pegasos + Linux/PPC too :-) ...

That's theory. In practice Java VM are slightly incompatible and you have to recompile/rewrite stuff for each Java VM. E.g.: AIX JVM isn't as compatible as it should with Sun's one.

You could say the same about ".net" but I find these solutions slower than native code, regardless of ".net" fanatics telling me that it's as fast as native code. It isn't: take ATI Radeon preferences and watch it crawl on a 1.4Ghz Athlon with 2GB of ram and WinXP.

Quote:

And NetBeans IDE really rulez!!! BTW software project from our Charles University ;-)

But I don't expect usable Java in next 3 years on MorphOS :-( :-( :-( it's too difficult to create port. What happened to Genesi sponsored Java-port?
    If there would be usable port of Java on MorphOS, it would automatically mean porting great NetBeans development IDE and millions of applications! So MorphOS Java port should not be underestimated, it's goldmine full of applications...

[ Edited by luky-amiga on 2008/5/21 19:05 ]

I think a Java port would be nice but I would prefer other apps like Firefox. I would prefer MorphOS running on x86 even more (even if it wasn't binary compatible with PPC/m68k... but I could live with a big endian x86 MorphOS).
  • »21.06.08 - 18:07
    Profile Visit Website