ftp trouble on mos
  • cc0
  • Just looking around
    cc0
    Hello folks!

I just tried setting up an AmiFTPd server on my pegasos machine here. The server runs smoothly from within the local network, I can connect and upload/download files etc. When I ninja-connect to my neighbours internet and ftp to my own server from there I can log in fine, but I can't enter passive mode or do a list. This seems to be a problem with the data-connection ports, which are 1024-2000 if I understand right, that is what my flashfxp client uses on my pc at least and gets refused. I tried opening these ports and also forwarding them all to my server's local ip, no luck. I am using MiamiDX as my TCP stack.

My internets is connected via a router which is running a pppoe connection through a bridged dsl modem. Serv-U servers on pcs here seem to work fine, but they now cheat by using upnp- so I am sure it is possible to somehow do this manually... I just am too clueless about networking. Oh and I'm not behind a NAT.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? I appreciate any help I can get!
  • »26.01.08 - 14:53
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    If it works on your local network (from other computers on the LAN side of the router) but not from outside/Internet, I think you could rule out erroneous settings on your computer/server SW and focus your trouble shooting to your router/firewall/ports settings. Passive mode can cause problems here if not properly configured.

Have you tried temporarily putting your Pegasos server in a DMZ (that is - *totally* exposing it to the Internet)?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »26.01.08 - 18:19
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    It is a server problem. In passive mode your ftpd must tell to client it's IP-address and in this situation it tells the LAN IP-address, which obviously doesn't work from outside.

I don't know if any native Amiga ftpd has a setting for using it behind router, but some ports like proftpd seem to have option for it. I've modified that setting to wu-ftpd myself, as the sources are available.

Of course port forwarding must be correct in router, but that seemed to be ok already.
  • »26.01.08 - 18:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ironfist
    FTP uses two ports, 20 and 21. You may need to open
    both of them.
  • »29.01.08 - 20:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Port 20 is only outgoing connection and those aren't usually blocked... and it's only when using active mode.

There's pretty good explanation of the protocol:
    http://www.slacksite.com/other/ftp.html

Maybe there could be more ports forwarded >1024 area, but usually they're used from smaller to bigger, so I don't think that's the problem in this case....
  • »30.01.08 - 08:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    *Have* you tried putting the Peg in a DMZ?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »30.01.08 - 13:07