• Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Yes Ironfist. I realize the PowerPC business is all about B2B, but that is no excuse to sell for / charge excessively high prices.

$176 wholesale price for a single core 1.33Ghz PPC CPU w/256KB cache is too much. How can another company use it in a product and make money off of it? The high pricing of the CPUs is why PPC will stay a small market & never expand and allows x86 & ARM to dominate the world.

It is no wonder that Apple decided to switch over to x86 with Intel Macs - because of cost. It surprised me at first to hear this news but seems to have been a good move for Apple.

I realize that IBM & Freescale only care mainly in selling to automotive and embedded market. And have little interest in the desktop market. The only thing keeping PowerPC alive on the desktop is MorphOS, AmigaOS & those still using OS X on PPC computers. Otherwise, PPC would have disappeared from desktop / workstation by now since IBM & Freescale don't seem to care about being in the desktop market and in offering competitive pricing to x86. The only PPC CPUs well priced are the lower end models, ie: 5200B, 5121e,....

I know it won't happen but I'd like to see some affordable dual core PPC processors.

Just to note, x86 runs more than Windows. It does Linux, BSD, BeOS/Haiku, Syllable, SkyOS, Solaris, OS X ( on Intel Macs ), AROS, etc., etc. ;-)

People only buy PowerPC hardware these days to run MorphOS. Amiga still hasn't come out with hadware for AmigaOS. Apple has moved over to x86. So, who would buy PowerPC hardware without MorphOS, AmigaOS & OS X? Efika1 & Efika2 are smart moves by Genesi because it allows a low cost way to get onto MorphOS which sells / attracts more users. 8610 goes after higher end and will get fewer people buying these boards / systems.
  • »19.01.08 - 19:11