Where the @#*%#) is MORPHOS 2.0?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dIGIMAN
    Quote:

The problem for me, it's not when we "get" MorphOS 2.0, but we don't have any news about the progress. Never we had officially news from the MorphOS-Team. And that's frustrating enough. I don't want a release date, I just want some official news. Is that so hard to achieve?

I fully agree with you.
    That is what i really ment when talking about a release date. All we know is based on roumor and sights on events.
    Well, whatever, i calmed down now. Getting heated up, doesnt get it done faster.
  • »28.12.07 - 09:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    stephen_robinson
    For those of you saying Christmas would have been a wrong time to release it::

http://www.gregdonner.org/workbench/wb_40.html

Came out Christmas last year...
  • »29.12.07 - 14:30
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ironfist
    MorphOS 2.0 will be released in 2009, at the earliest.

They won't release it in 2008. No chance what-so-ever.
  • »29.12.07 - 16:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    @ironfist

Why do you say no release in 2008 for MorphOS 2.0? I think the next logical release date is around Easter - that is April, 2008.

It would be nice to see status report or a pre-release, but that has never been the way the MorphOS team has operated.

For whatever reason they think that is the best. They own the product so they can do (or not do) whatever they want. We can bitch about it here all day but that will not change their policy.

In fact they don't have to release anything at all if they don't want to.

I hope that they do, and I hope in 2008 we will see all of the progress they made in an official 2.0 release :)

I also would hope for a Pegasos-III or an official port to x86. I have never been a fan of PowerPC and I think that back in 1997 it was a good decision that Petro made, Power Amiga and PowerPC,...but even when OS4 was being talked about in 1999 I argued for x86 port. No one listened and look at the situation we are in now with the non-availability of hardware...

IMHO we would have had 5x more users if we had gone for x86. Sure, you run windows, linux, MacOS or whatever else, but who cares. You would still be running OS4 or MorphOS (or both) on your box.
    A4000/060/PPC-200MHz, A4000T/060/PPC-233MHz, CD32, MicroA1, Pegasos 2 G4, AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.5GHz, MacMini 1.5GHz/64MB VRam...mwwmwahhh :)
  • »29.12.07 - 21:43
    Profile Visit Website
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 31.08.2011 - 09:01 ]
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »29.12.07 - 21:43
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 31.08.2011 - 09:00 ]
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »29.12.07 - 22:05
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ironfist
    HammerD:
    I am absolutely positive there will be no release of MorphOS 2.0
    in 2008.

Velcro:
    My qualifications for saying this? Well, MorphOS 1.5
    has been showed running since PUSH 2004.1. That was
    in May 2004. It was also shown running at the next PUSH,
    and the PUSH after that.. and.. PUSH this year..

On PUSH 2004.1 we got a promise that MorphOS 1.5 would
    be released before AmigaoS 4.0. Well, Hyperion released
    four developer betas, one final and even a commercially
    sold version for Classic PPC-accellerators.

Our second promise was to have MorphOS 1.5 when that
    Distributed.net counting passed the Amiga-folks..

All these promises, public presentations of working MorphOS
    1.5, 1.666 and 2.0 makes me qualified to say that no MorphOS
    2.0 (or whatever the version number is now..) will be released
    in 2008.
  • »29.12.07 - 22:30
    Profile Visit Website
    warface
    Quote:

All these promises, public presentations of working MorphOS
    1.5, 1.666 and 2.0 makes me qualified to say that no MorphOS
    2.0 (or whatever the version number is now..) will be released
    in 2008.

Clever :-) Now they HAVE to release it to prove you wrong :-)
  • »30.12.07 - 11:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    wali7
    I feel the same: major problem is complete lack of information from MOS Team... no plan, no promises, only rumours and frustration. I saw MOS2.0 in action presented during our polish meetings (Amimaj?wka and Amizaduszki), I had also opportunity to touch it, it seemed to be quite OK. Why not to release it? Is it not completed? Probably there will be always something to do. What about fast, fully paid release in "as is" state and subsequent free updates? In the internet era updates are not very problematic and costly.
    Up to now there was several OS4 updates and final release, what about MOS Team? Nothing, silence: "it will be released when it is ready" - very funny ;)
    I hope the posts in this tread make some (positive) pressure on MOS Team: we are still waiting, we want to pay for release, but present strange situation makes us angry.
    Dear MOS Team: let's do something.

[ Edited by wali7 on 2007/12/30 16:26 ]
  • »30.12.07 - 15:25
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Phantom
    Quote:

Why do you say no release in 2008 for MorphOS 2.0? I think the next logical release date is around Easter - that is April, 2008.

Yes correct. But the 1st of April!!! :pint: :pint:
  • »30.12.07 - 15:29
  • Just looking around
    amigaguy
    I agree... they use it everyday and don't care if the rest of the world have it...

I've packed away my Peg2 and I probably won't use it anymore... it is already outdated... it's a shame...
  • »30.12.07 - 15:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

I hope the posts in this tread make some (positive) pressure on MOS Team: we are still waiting, we want to pay for release, but present strange situation makes us angry.

please try to avoid the "we" or "us".
    as far as i'm concerned i'm not ready to pay or to beg for a release.

i think it was a good idea to ask people to pay for MOS 2.0 last year or even a few months ago. Now i think it should be free or only a dozen of fanatics will use it.
    It has been too long to dare asking people for money.

now, i'm not in a hurry, it will be released when it will be released, period. I just won't be happy to pay this time.
  • »30.12.07 - 15:49
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    wali7
    OK, I can use "I" instead of "we", but I know I am not the only one ready for paying for new MOS now
    But I think your opinion should be the alarm signal for MOS Team: readiness of potential MOS user to pay for it is lowering. If they want to earn some money they should hurry up... the period of man's life is limited ;)
  • »30.12.07 - 15:59
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

your opinion should be the alarm signal for MOS Team

just like they care ... :-)
  • »30.12.07 - 16:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    they dont care, if they did we would have a release. All of you need to just accept the fact that this is a hobby for them, and as it is now only they allow who will have it and I guess thats all we get for now, just a few videos and shows to show what YOU as the user cant have and "we" as the developers get to have.

Sound harsh? Well thats what people at these shows are feeling I am sure. As for me, i just use what I have and am glad I have it. I gave up on being upset over it long ago.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »30.12.07 - 16:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Get27
    As it has been said at Alchimie 7 (11/2007), MorphOS is not ready for christmas but, as we can see with regulary updates of MUI, Ambient, Regae, it will arrive soon !

The only regret i have with MorphOS, it's the lack of informations by the Team. A page like the 3D webpage for MOS 2.0 would be nice. Some screenshots, a roadmap would be better.

MOS Team make great OS but can't be perfect in all of domain. :-P
    PowerMac 3.5, G4 1.0GHz DP, 1GB ram, 80GB HD + NAS, Radeon 9600 128MB Mac, 1680x1050
    PowerMac 7.3, G5 2.3GHz DP, 4GB ram, 160GB HD + NAS, Radeon 9800 128MB PC, 1680x1050
    Amiga 500+, Vampire 500v2+, HxC Floppy
  • »30.12.07 - 16:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    wali7
    there is very thin border between hobby and comercial, and I am not sure where we can place MOS2.0 because it will be not for free
  • »30.12.07 - 17:05
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

there is very thin border between hobby and comercial, and I am not sure where we can place MOS2.0 because it will be not for free

probably in this very thin border, but i guess they don't really know themselves where they are going after all.

Just like Acill i choose not to get upset anymore, i found myself busy enough with many other things not to get mental every 2 months anymore because of the lack of news.

I check some morphos related website sometimes, once a week or so, make sure there's nothing new then go back to my stuff. One day i'll forget to check, and i won't even notice it.
    Life goes on with or without morphos.
  • »30.12.07 - 17:32
    warface
    Quote:

I've packed away my Peg2 and I probably won't use it anymore... it is already outdated... it's a shame...

You're not the first one to say this. But so far, none of you explained, what difference a MOS2.0 release would make.

All (or almost all) apps and hardware you could use with MOS2.0 you can use with MOS1.45 updated with recent ambient/mui/3d/poseidon updates.

Point is, it's not MOS2.0 what YOU (plural, for all those packed away their machines) want. It's just an excuse.

[ Edited by warface on 2007/12/30 18:50 ]
  • »30.12.07 - 17:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    Maybe the thing is just not ready but is completly unusable because of a few details which are being resolved? Being usable for 10 minutes during a quick demo is not being usable in real life. This is not a Hyperion product, you know.

Excluding a few exceptions, I very much doubt MorphOS 1.5/2.0/whatever will bring *anything* useful to the people who do not use the 1.4 version today.
    They may be a load of work behind it, it could be half of the OS was rewritten, it could be smoother, nicer and whatever... but it is not as if adding gadget features, nice details or integrating stuff anybody could download from Aminet in the past 4 years will change the world.

Face the reality: if you like current MorphOS and find it useful, there are chances you will like the next version even more. But if you do not use MorphOS today, you will still not use it tomorrow. Period.
    Coming from a guy who found MorphOS completly usable as his main and only system years ago.

The idiots trolling around about how stuff are not released because some people do not care and like to tease others are just that: idiots and trolls.
    Same for the morons telling threads after threads there are no announcements, no news and no communication. Specially just after Jobbo played the nice press-release guy and posted in a similar thread to explain how everything was being worked on and so on :-)

@DiscreetFx

It may look as coming out of nowhere but current MorphOS SDK is up to date. During the past years, it was updated with newer compilers, includes, libraries, etc... It may not be perfect and cause a bit of extra work for VBCC users and some other things but it is probably very similar to what could be the "MorphOS 2.0 SDK" one day. New (mostly useless from my pov) 2.0 features excepted.
    Ok, it does not come in one single package and you have to apply one or two updates first but that it is very easy.
    So, if you are serious about your stuff, there is no reason to wait for anything before starting on your plan.
  • »30.12.07 - 18:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Framiga
    "This is not a Hyperion product, you know."

your going very low Henes! was that bit really necessary?
  • »30.12.07 - 18:13
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    It is still not as low as what they did for the past 7-8 years and still continued to do in 2007.
    And, when you are not a fanboy and already experienced such poor quality and obviously never seriously tested software and its non existing updates, the meaning is very precise.
  • »30.12.07 - 18:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    roschmyr
    Quote:

warface wrote:
    All (or almost all) apps and hardware you could use with MOS2.0 you can use with MOS1.45 updated with recent ambient/mui/3d/poseidon updates

could you please tell, where i can get Poseidon 3.7/8 for mos?
    i would like to use the igorplug, but hey, no problem, nobody seems to be interested to release MOS2.0.

oh and do not forget, to turnout the light by leaving the building
  • »30.12.07 - 18:27
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    i want more Henes posts.
  • »30.12.07 - 18:33
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    wali7
    I used Morhpos2.0 (during Amizaduszki) much longer than 10 mins and it was stable, and all new features were working. Many polish members of MOS Team claimed that new MOS is more stable and faster than 1.4. Moreover they are still using it (most MOS Team members have forgotten about 1.4... in their own words), if it were worse than 1.4 they would not use it.
    MOS2.0 have some new libraries simplifying developing programs, so happy MOS2.0 developers (and in fact its present users) are not interested in overcoming MOS1.4 limitations and their new programs are for MOS2.0 only (and they remain only users of this new program). Some programmers working on MOS2.0 are converting their programs into 1.4... but this is obvious encumbrance. Example of this situation is marcik and his Sputnik... but not every MOS Team has willingness for it.
    I am not against MOS Team members separately (you are doing great job, guys), but I am against current informational politics of MOS Team as whole.

[ Edited by wali7 on 2007/12/30 19:42 ]
  • »30.12.07 - 18:41