Newbie Q: Pegasos/MOS = Amiga Spirit ??
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

And these are exactly the reasons why I am not running MorphOS right now although I would like to.

Either you want to run it (and no mp belongs to one of MOS current "features"), or you won't. Decide and accept!

Quote:

No memory protection - Ok, how about later?

Impossible - Sorry this is the wrong answer, nothing in this world is impossible. I am not an OS programmer but I now it can be done even if you have to rewrite the hole thing, even if you have to break every API and make it AmigaOS 3.x incompatible.

That is the reason why the box aproach was chosen. It keeps the option to add a memory protected box in future.
    Original AOS apps will never run in full protected environment. The only way to run them in a protected environment is to put them into a box.
    That is what MOS has done.
    Maybe one day we'll see a QBOX. Currently MOS is an OS which is a modernized, but still binary compatible 'AmigaOS'. And this does not allow to do memory protection.

Quote:

From what we know there might never be another version.

Unless the world is surprisingly swallowed by a huge intergalctical monster there will be other updates, the team is working.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »10.10.06 - 10:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

And these are exactly the reasons why I am not running MorphOS right now although I would like to.

No memory protection - Ok, how about later?

Impossible - Sorry this is the wrong answer, nothing in this world is impossible. I am not an OS programmer but I now it can be done even if you have to rewrite the hole thing, even if you have to break every API and make it AmigaOS 3.x incompatible.

Rewriting everything and starting from scratch takes a lot of time and effort. This type of process would not be finished anytime soon.

Quote:

reboot only takes a few seconds - reboot is not an option, this is fall 2006.

Being able to run multiple ABox tasks could be interesting as it would give developers a safe sandbox to run their failure-prone test applications in. That would probably be the next best thing to memory protection.

Quote:

And the other most serious "thing" is that there is no official entity behind MorphOS

There is the MorphOS Development Team. Unlike Amiga Inc., it has no board of directors, but I fail to see how that would guarantuee steady development and a glory future.

Quote:

AND / OR any sort of a roadmap. From what we know there might never be another version.

The next version of MorphOS is continiously being worked on. If there were no further updates planned, it would have been announced.

Quote:

It could be or it couldn't, one can only hope or guess about it. This is very unprofessional I think

The same can happen with big corporations who announce products but never deliver. Uncertainty is a a part of life and has no relation to unprofessional manners whatsoever.
  • »10.10.06 - 10:32
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

Say good bye to IBrowse...
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »10.10.06 - 11:15
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

Say good bye to IBrowse...

Can't say I would miss it, if I got a better browser :-)
    (Although even currently I do prefer A-Web)
  • »10.10.06 - 11:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Nigel101
    yes i have had it for a few weeks now. i have bought it from elsewhere, not Gensi, as there was problems there. The system was used and i saved myself a little money, i guess.

i absolutely love MorphOS and it is all that i hoped it would be. When you use it it really feels like Commodore never left and that Commodre are alive with an modern system. Ambient is great also, i have been keeping updated on my system with the latest Nightly Builds and i really like/appretiate what all those guys are doing with that Workbench clone! Also happy there is a nice dev-toolchain for MOS so I can have fun with my nighttime hobby of programming. I really enjoying playing with the TinyGL API right now!! :-D Thanks again to the ppl involved in porting/devving this cool little API - i did not know it was available for mos. Also SDL is proving useful - maybe ill port something soon? :)

hmm, softwarewise there is not much native apps created special for MOS I guess which is a bit let down. I don't think it could totally replace my PC what is what i would REALLY wish for. Just because there is not a large enough dev community providing all the software you would need at the quality you expect. (still no KHTML for example)

I really hope Ralph and the other people (LOTS!) can all motivate themselves to release 1.5 and continue improving this great OS. It's really special, and I don't know I feel CURRENTLY for some reason MOS is picking up its reputation in the wider Amiga community? I see LOTS more people talking positive things about it than ever before. so a 1.5 release would help that even more.

anyway, it's very LATE and I havent slept well for a couple of days (work) but i wanted to say Im very happy. MOS is truely a great OS.

Ralph: talk to Sony and convince them to fund a port of QBOX Abox and MOS to the PS3. Tell them it would make good business sense because there are thousands of MOS users just itching to buy a PS3 with MOS installed !! lol :-) You dont want AOS4 guys to get there first :-D

[ Edited by Nigel101 on 2006/10/11 2:22 ]
  • »11.10.06 - 03:21
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

Nigel101 wrote:

[CUT]

i absolutely love MorphOS and it is all that i hoped it would be. When you use it it really feels like Commodore never left and that Commodre are alive with an modern system. Ambient is great also, i have been keeping updated on my system with the latest Nightly Builds and i really like/appretiate what all those guys are doing with that Workbench clone! Also happy there is a nice dev-toolchain for MOS so I can have fun with my nighttime hobby of programming. I really enjoying playing with the TinyGL API right now!! :-D Thanks again to the ppl involved in porting/devving this cool little API - i did not know it was available for mos. Also SDL is proving useful - maybe ill port something soon? :)

hmm, softwarewise there is not much native apps created special for MOS I guess which is a bit let down. I don't think it could totally replace my PC what is what i would REALLY wish for. Just because there is not a large enough dev community providing all the software you would need at the quality you expect. (still no KHTML for example)

[CUT]

Nice to see you joining our community.

Don't worry for KHTML. Thanks to marcik and Sputnik browser, this standard is on the way home...

(Home = Pegasos/MorphOS)

By the way, if you enjoy programming, then you could help porting apps that we still miss...

Ciao.

RAF
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »11.10.06 - 10:44