"MorphOS: The Lightning OS"
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    OK, (sour grapes mode on) why is this such a great thing now, but everyone ignored me when I tried to get this written up 3 weeks ago?!
    BTW great article
  • »18.07.06 - 23:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    bbrv
    Hi robbhar, we listened and ask Fulvio to do it. Good idea...;-) Thanks.

Last week, IBM announced Lotus Notes for Linux. It still will not run on PowerPC, but this is a step in the right direction away from Windows. Away from x86 is next.

In the meanwhile, the sentiments reflected in "What makes PowerPC cool?" are being heard more and more in our Power.org meetings. Feel free to comment!

The changes are taking time, but they are coming. The more translations of the article the better. We will ensure more exposure through Power.org. MDC registrations are up!

R&B :-)
  • »19.07.06 - 00:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    @ Fulvio:

Warning!

Seems to me (IMHO) that the rules of Alternaitve OS Contest by OSNews stated that they have the rights to keep your article for 30 days on their main page if you will win.

During this period no copy of it should be posted on other sites.

So attention please Fulvio, remember to all translators that they CAN'T post any of their translations until the "copyright" period of 30 days will expire.

This all, obvioulsy, only applies if you will win the Contest... :-? ;-) 8-)
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »19.07.06 - 21:09
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Ralf:
    Well if you had read this thread carefuly*sigh*, you would have noticed that Fulvio is well aware of this fact.........

Senex:
    Well I have done now first 3 Pages, lets see how far I come until weekend ;) However, I would apreciate if you could at least read through it and probably polish it a bit here and there (Although it is surprising easy so far, from english to german is easier then the other way round ;) )
  • »19.07.06 - 21:27
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Velcro_SP
    Really a wonderful article. And those screenshots!
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »20.07.06 - 04:31
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DoctorMorbius_FP
    @ all

Thank you for your appreciation!

@ the translators.

The article published on OSNews contains many of the things that I wrote, but not all. After a suggestion by Guruman, saturday 15 and sunday 16 I wrote another section dedicated to developers, their expectations/problems, and the developer environment currently available. I finished this section in the afternoon of monday 17, but it was too late for OSNews, because they had already published the article since a few hours. Thom Holwerda, Managing Editor of OSNews, suggested me to transform the new section in a second part of the article. But in my opinion there is too few material, even with the addition of a FAQ that I want to write to give answers to all the questions emerged in OSNews comments and elsewhere.

(Any suggestions about other subjects that you think I forgot to mention in the article?)

OSNews editors also made small changes to the article. Most of these actually improve text readability, but there are a few changes that I do not approve completely and want to delete, restoring the original text. Finally there are some changes that probably are justified by the larger audience. For instance, in our Amiga niche some window elements are named "gadgets", which they substituted with "widgets". What do you prefer?

I will create a new final text and will make it available to you, translators, marking in red all the (few) changes done on the OSNews version that you are working on currently. So you will not lose time searching for my changes.

It is also my intention to strip away my name from top of the article, as well as the "Acknowledgements" and "About the author" sections. Instead I would like to highlight, in the ultimate MorphZone version, that the production of the article is the result of a collective effort where a number of persons put their competences to support MorphOS. So I will insert a final section similar to this:

Contributors
    Fulvio "DoctorMorbius_FP" Peruggi wrote the original English text.
    Ed Vishoot and Frank Mariak carefully read the text and made important suggestions for its improvement.
    Andrea "Guruman" Maniero provided most of the contents of the "Developer tools" section.
    Stefan Blixth provided the following pictures: MorphOS1.jpg, MorphOS2.jpg, MorphOS0.jpg, Blender.jpg.
    Gunne Steen provided the following pictures: UAE_Workbench.png, ShowGirls.jpg, MPlayer.jpg.
    Fulvio "DoctorMorbius_FP" Peruggi provided the following pictures: Shell.png, CubicIDE.png.
    Christian "tokai" Rosentreter provided the UAE_SuperFrog.png picture.
    Andrea "Guruman" Maniero: Italian translation.
    ... "SoundSquare" ...: French translation.
    Martin "Senex" Heine and ... "Bladerunner" ...: German translation.
    ... "mobydick" ...: Russian translation.
    This is version 1.1 of our collective effort.

Please let me know if you want your full name in this section, or only the nickname. Write me to <peruggi "AT" unina "DOT" it> so I can provide you the web address where version 1.1 will be available for translators.

There are a few pictures that I don't know if they must be credited to Gunne or Stefan. Gunne, may you provide info?

Cheers.

[ Edited by DoctorMorbius_FP on 2006/7/21 19:50 ]
    Powered by PegasosII-G4, MacMini, PowerMac MDD.
  • »21.07.06 - 19:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

Finally there are some changes that probably are justified by the larger audience. For instance, in our Amiga niche some window elements are named "gadgets", which they substituted with "widgets". What do you prefer?

Widget is better in this context.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »21.07.06 - 23:30
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Great article! Well done, you put a lot of time into this one and it shows.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »22.07.06 - 12:27
    Profile Visit Website
    gunne
    DoctorMorbius_FP,

Here we go.

Pictures from Stefan: MorphOS1.jpg, MorphOS2.jpg, MorphOS0.jpg, CubicIDE.png, Blender.jpg,

Pictures from Gunne: UAE_Workbench.png, AboutMUI.png, MainPrefs.png, AmbientSettings.png, ShowGirls.jpg, MUIPrefs.png, MPlayer.jpg

I will maybe do a swedish translation. Do not want to promise this right now though, have a lot of things that I must do right now. Will come back to you later again.

Gunne
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »22.07.06 - 20:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    SeaScape
    Great article, DoctorMorbius! I read the whole thing and I am happy that MorphOS is moving along well. What is the most current version of MorphOS?
  • »03.08.06 - 02:49
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    pre-Developer beta 1.5 upd4 :-? :bloons:
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »03.08.06 - 08:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DoctorMorbius_FP
    SeaScape: What is the most current version of MorphOS?

Hooligan: pre-Developer beta 1.5 upd4

This of course is only for MorphOS Team Members (and they are at update 376...). :-/ :-?

Normal people have access to MorphOS 1.4.5 plus a number of external upgrades that is becoming too large for newcomers...

Users should add:

ft2.library   (ftp.morphos-team.net/updates)
    parallel.device   (ftp.morphos-team.net/updates)
    rtl_8139pci.device   (ftp.morphos-team.net/updates)
    MorphOS3DUpdate_R2.lha   (ftp.morphos-team.net/updates)
    Apdf_upd.lha   (ftp.morphos-team.net/updates)
    iffparse.library   (ftp.morphos-team.net/updates)

ambient-1.43_nightly-<the latest>.tgz   (http://tiw-pro.web.internet.telia.com/~1698137/dl/ambient-1.43_nightly-<the latest>.tgz)
    muibeta_20060922.lha   (http://www.stuntz.com/muibeta_20060922.lha)
    ppc-morphos-ahiusr-6.0   (http://main.aminet.net/hard/drivr/ppc-morphos-ahiusr.lha)
    PoseidonV3.3MOS.lha   (http://www.platon42.de/files/usb/PoseidonV3MOS.lha)

muicon-50.36-2.lha   (http://www.binaryriot.org/dreamolers/muicon/muicon-50.36-2.lha)
    ixemul49.20.lha   (http://www.binaryriot.org/dreamolers/sshcon/ixemul.lha)
    reggae-user-b.lha   (http://teleinfo.pb.edu.pl/~krashan/software/)
      [+ audio.output-51.5.lha, bitplane.decoder-51.2.lha, digifilter.lha, fir.filter-51.4, http.stream-51.3,
      netpbm.demuxer-51.2.lha]
    sounddatatypespack3.lha   (http://teleinfo.pb.edu.pl/~krashan/software/sounddatatypespack3.lha)
    powersdl11.10.lha   (http://main.aminet.net/util/libs/powersdl.lha)
    AmigaGuideDT.lha   (http://main.aminet.net/util/dtype/AmigaGuideDT.lha)

(Some of these upgrades/additions are unofficial).

Programmers should know that there are the following recent upgrades:

libnix_update.tar.bz2   (http://developer.morphosppc.com/)
    gg-binutils-2.9.1.lha   (http://developer.morphosppc.com/)
    gg-gcc-2.95.3.lha   (http://developer.morphosppc.com/)
    libgcc.tar.bz2   (http://developer.morphosppc.com/)

-----
    Readers, please let me know if I forgot something or there are upgrades I missed, so we can keep this list updated.
    -----

News:

Italian, French, German, and Russian translations are finished or will be within the next two weeks.

"MorphOS: The Lightning OS - Part 2" by DoctorMorbius_FP and Guruman is on the way! :-)

[ Edited by DoctorMorbius_FP on 2006/11/12 14:02 ]