• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MorphDelf
    My name is Michal Bergseth, I am 26 years old and I am pretty stubborn. I mean I am such kind of person which dosent give up until I find a sollution to it.

In February 2004 I got myself an PegasosII G3 600MHz motherboard. I allready bought keyboard, DDR RAM and HD. I took the Voodoo 3 2000 PCI card from my Amiga 4000 to my PegasosII and got my system to work after 2 days. Yeah, for once I couldnt understand how to read the CD as it was changed, and that the devices didnt want to show up or work as they should with lots of combinations. Yea, this was like a Myst game for me :) Well, after some very nice help on #morphos I bouth found out thats CD had change to CDROM -;) thanks!.. But the sollution to get my firmware to read all devices, was more tricky. Well, this one, I found out myself. CD-ROM on one IDE channel and HD on the other IDE channel. Maybe this had something to do with my TwinMOS memstick?

Well, in March 2004 I think. There was The Gathering 2004. An huuge event in Hamar each Easter here in Norway. Its very funny, since this Hamar increases its popullation by arround 5000 nerds/computer users inside the famous icehockey olympic hall which was constructed for the Lillehammer Olympic games in 1994. Well, there I bought myself an ATI Radeon 9200SE card for 150,- NOK (our money in Norway,.. we dont use EURO you know.)

During the show, errorbugs started to annoy me more and more. MorphOS crashed at odd times, like Songplayer and mplayer at that time. Also with having only Voodoo 3 2000, MorphOS even crashed on when changing screens. The crashings was unregular. I didnt know when it happened. Sometime MorphOS worked in 3 hours, other times just in 5mins maximum.

So I got some sollutions to try out from lots of people on #morphos which claimed it had to be something with my internal sound. So I bought myself an Soundblaster card :), but that didnt help.

At the very first PUSH, which I find the best ever done Pegasos/Amiga show in Scandinavia in a loong time! A Swedish man helpen my friend and me with installing Gentoo PPC Linux. It took some time, maybe 3 hours :) Well thanks to that mr. dholm. I didnt get the 3D to work under it, but atleast it worked as it should in software mode. Linux at that time was known for bad ATI support so,.. and my ATI Radeon 9200SE card is the worst of them all, but atleast I paid 150,- for it.. so I am happy :=)

Well, the same problems as in MorphOS started to happend in Linux aswell. In Linux such crashes must be much more dramatic than on MorphOS, as Linux needs a proper shutdown. I felt that on my knees for sure. After a while xwindows didnt want to startup as it should etc. Well, the soundproblems was the reason for the crashes here also! What the hell was it??? No one knew.. so I thought many times to send my motherboard away to Genesi for repair etc.

Some Suomi guy told me during these 2 years allmost, that it could be the mem. Well, hehe.. I bought another TwinMOS membrick. I also deleted Linux, since I found it useless and xwindows didnt want to startup anymore :) Sorry dholm, .. But MorphOS is way better to check if hardware got errors than Linux. Because MorphOS simply fully crash :) On Linux xwindows crashed first, then when I switched to the console, it hanged even more.. and when trying to kill dead tasks.. it was not possible and it freezed. Linux is to big and overhyped I think :) I admire though, those sitting with Linux all the time.. your geniouses in computing for sure.. We need you :=)

Well, now in November 2005 I finally bought myself Crucial 512MB RAM bricks! And you know,.. it helped :) It has fixed all of the hangups and strang lockups. Now I am typing, while the mp3 have been running for hours and Ibrowse is as good as it is! With TwinMOS it would crash in the middle of this bad written English article...

Well, my conclusion!:
    Dont use TwinMOS. If you comment me with that TwinMOS works without problems, then you sure have to comment. As with G3, it might have some problems with some memfabricks names? Well, thanks to all that have tried to help me in everyway. I have really tried to find this sollution and that it happened Friday November 25 2005 is for me a mystery.

Keep the MorphOS alive! Now I am surfing without strange speedchanges. Windows scrolls smooth after 3 hours, which it didnt when I had TwinMOS installed.

Thanks again to all of you which have been helping me out! Have a nice Christmas and thanks for keeping the AmigaOS and MorphOS communities alive!

Regards,
    Michal
  • »26.11.05 - 08:04
    Profile Visit Website