MorphOS devs problems needs a solution very soon!
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Qmaster:

Uh... Henes is one of the top members of the MOS Team. Check credits in Ambient. His name is Nicolas Sallin.

magnetic

I really dont think anybody outside of the MOS team and Genesi can make any kind of judgements or assumptions as to this situation as they would merely be guessing as to the real facts.

Its never good making uninformed verdicts.
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »14.01.05 - 08:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    evilrich
    @magnetic

Quote:

Its never good making uninformed verdicts.

ROTFL.

This is the Amiga market we're talking about? ;-)

Cheers,
    Rich
  • »14.01.05 - 08:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Evilrich

Yes, exactly. Which is why i'm tired of the nonsense... especially for users who have no clue as to what is really happening... and this goes for other sites as well.

@bbrv, targhan,darth, and other mods

Thank you for not deleting/erasing and otherwise editing posts. Its nice to see that information flows freely on this website like the internet is intended to be.
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »14.01.05 - 08:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    TreeBeard
    Darth_X, magnetic

I would respect your opinions more if you practised what you preached.
    Micro AmigaOne and second hand Pegasos2
  • »14.01.05 - 09:17
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Maurix
    HOHO bbrv should go for a while to learn
    how to do it by APPLE...

They now have a "minimac" for endusers and they have a fenomenal OS-x so why should user buy a Pegasos in future ? to use Linux::
    hohoho or a morphos with no print 3d and tc/ip stack ,,hoho ..in future apple will release
    a :-)) open workstation and IBM and Motorola
    will switch to Apple hardware.. then
    bbrv will cry :-x and this is the end of a
    Peg Ära--------------sound´s for me like

Amiga ...Atari...Commodore....Cube....

yes for a stupid Company there is only place for a stupid end !
  • »14.01.05 - 09:51
  • Just looking around
    evilrich
    @Maurix

Quote:

HOHO bbrv should go for a while to learn
    how to do it by APPLE...

I'm sorry, but your comment was not in the least bit constructive.

One cannot compare the Mini Mac with the Pegasos or AmigaOne. They are aimed at completely different markets.

Quote:

They now have a "minimac" for endusers and they have a fenomenal OS-x so why should user buy a Pegasos in future ? to use Linux::

Can you buy a Mac Mini with Linux pre-installed? Does it even run the current Linux kernel without modifications?

Quote:

in future apple will release
    a ) open workstation and IBM and Motorola
    will switch to Apple hardware..

Apple has no interest in releasing an open workstation. They already tried that, and it failed. Motorola used to produce Mac clones (as did other manufacturers) and Apple killed the clone program when they realized they couldn't compete.

Might I recommend you learn how to punctuate? People might take your arguments more seriously.

Cheers,
    Rich

[ Edited by evilrich on 2005/1/14 5:13 ]
  • »14.01.05 - 10:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DSLCC
    Quote:

There MUST be a solution. But everything could be judged only by those people who obtain ALL the needed info. I am not.

The END USER can only judge the situation by the END RESULT. If GE stops making light bulbs, the END USER can only go with another brand or sit in the dark. The END USER will not be content with broken light bulbs. It does not matter how the situation got the way that it did. If there is not a solution soon, then folks will have no choice but to jump. This is how the MorphOS community came to be in the first place, we jumped once, we can jump again.

[ Edited by DSLCC on 2005/1/14 4:49 ]
    Pegasos 1 G3 MorphOS 1.4.5* Mac G4 Sawtooth 1Ghz Tiger 10.4.1* Both Rock! :-D
  • »14.01.05 - 10:23
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DSLCC
    Quote:

Might I recommend you learn how to punctuate? People might take your arguments more seriously.

The ultimate end of argument. This is what is so entertaining about these 'Amiga' discussions. They all end in personal attacks with no constructive result. :-) :-D ;-) :-o
    Pegasos 1 G3 MorphOS 1.4.5* Mac G4 Sawtooth 1Ghz Tiger 10.4.1* Both Rock! :-D
  • »14.01.05 - 10:32
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Gelb
    > Might I recommend you learn how to
    > punctuate? People might take your
    > arguments more seriously.

That's a hell of an argument!

Well done!

(Now please teach me how to quote properly, so ppl can this more serious)
  • »14.01.05 - 10:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Quote:

..but that is the point. David can post here. He can confront the issues and post without fear of...

Do you really think a public forum is the *right* place to discuss such a thing ?

Quote:

(after Morphos.net and a MorphOS fork, what would he be afraid of anyway?) ?!

Afraid of that, maybe ?

"*bbrv* David, this is our last warning. We will sue you for libel in Switzerland and begin this effort with the lawyers this week if you do not take down the site."

Quote:

The best thing that can happen is that the whole situation is laid bare for all to see and then the community (jury) can make a judgment.

There's no judgment to be made from us.
    I only see one thing: either you care about MorphOS and its future and you bring all related people in front of a table (not in these stupid forums) and discuss a solution.
    Either you go on posting here and situation is not likely to evolve...

Quote:

We are more than welcome to this, but we don't think you will find much courage to face this approach from others. They are too self-centered. It is easy to post on "morphos.net" when there can be no answer. It is something completely different to face another opinion in contrast to your own.

Will you find enough courage to meet every MorphOS related people ?
    According to what's been said by David, you're not the less self-centered people here...
    You see: that's easy to post here and make an opinion...

Quote:

We hope they figure out a way to release their version of 1.5 on their own. This would be a great thing for MorphOS users (with or without Quark). Later, after they experience the reality of "business" and perhaps a few more years of life (really on their own) they may think a little bit more before they act and finally consider the opportunities they missed.

Blabla...

Leo.

PS: don't get me wrong: I still appreciate what you made for the community,... but I don't understand what you're doing on this forum, posting childish comments to David or Nicolas and just end your post with "We hope they figure out a way to release their version of 1.5 on their own.". If you want to help, then read above.
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »14.01.05 - 10:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:

Hey I went even as far as not reading amiga.org anymore ;-)

Me too actually! :-o

Only retro stuff there now anyway ...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »14.01.05 - 11:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Leo wrote:

Do you really think a public forum is the *right* place to discuss such a thing ?

Of course not. That is why the morphos.net was such a disaster. The only reason to why we are even discussing this in public is because of David Gerber made it a public discussion. It can't be undone. It is public now, and there is an obvious need to discuss it as it seems.

Quote:

Afraid of that, maybe ?

"*bbrv* David, this is our last warning. We will sue you for libel in Switzerland and begin this effort with the lawyers this week if you do not take down the site."

As you know, they took that back. They never followed it through. Perhaps it would have been better if they had, but we will never know this now.

Quote:

There's no judgment to be made from us.

We are doing nothing but judging at the moment. But people are judging on the one-sided information on morphos.net (a site which is as irrelevant now as David Gerber is by now anyway). What David Gerber did can not be undone. The "judging" can not be stopped. The only thing that is left to do is to go *totally* public, so the judging at least can be more fair.

Quote:

I only see one thing: either you care about MorphOS and its future and you bring all related people in front of a table (not in these stupid forums) and discuss a solution.
    Either you go on posting here and situation is not likely to evolve...

After years of support and half a million bucks of investments into it, how can you even question BBRV's interest in MorphOS? MorphOS would have gone nowhere near where it is today if it hadn't been for BBRV. And isn't it quite obvious, that wherever MorphOS is going after this, it will go there without David Gerber? Opportunities for discussions at a table pretty much ended 2004-11-15.

Quote:

Will you find enough courage to meet every MorphOS related people ?
    According to what's been said by David, you're not the less self-centered people here...
    You see: that's easy to post here and make an opinion...

David started this whole public discussion. But he is not participating. He is most certainly reading this thread (and all the others) and he is perfectly able to participate, but he doesn't. What does that say to you?
  • »14.01.05 - 11:31
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    As a student I've learned one thing; "If I can't pay something, I can't pay it" (This applies to this months' rent untill I'll get my student support money which I SHOULD get, whenever someone bothers looking through the papers I submitted)

But obviously bad communication can make things even worse (this can apply to both sides)
  • »14.01.05 - 11:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    robjoh
    This discussion has become more or less useless because of that it is more intressted in blame different persons. Personally I wouldn't know about MorphOS without the Pegasos (I am not from the ex amiga family) which was rewieved (sp?) in a Swedish computer magazin. But in the same time I wouldn't know about pegasos if there wasn't a MorphOS. So bouth parts needs each other to get people like me intressted. My intresst that was wery high, I had start saving for a G4 Peg II, is gone.

I think there is a simple solution, I have been wathing the emerge of Amiga OS 4.0, they are going to charge money for their OS. Why can't you charge money for MorphOS 1.5 let MorphOS 1.4.2 be free and then sell MorphOS 1.5. Let the money go to the MOS-team. When the MOS team then develop 1.6, give 1.5 for free. I mean it can't be that hard just get the ball roling :-D
  • »14.01.05 - 12:33
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Quote:

how can you even question BBRV's interest in MorphOS?

I have no dout he *had* interest in MorphOS. What I'm questionning now is his *today* interest in MorphOS (over Linux/SQL/...).

Leo.
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »14.01.05 - 12:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Its seems bbrv has no interest any longer, and who can blame him? Whats it got him after that postin gon Morphos.net? Its done more harm then anyone can ever fully take in. We will never have the support we had before or at its peak again now. ITs a real shame and I hope MorphOS finds a way to live on.

The money thing is strange to me. If David is in fact owed any money then why doesnt he come in here and accept the offers many of us gave to start up a donation fund for the developers? The fact he didnt do that back even before the whole mess started leades me to beleve he just had a personal thing out for Gnesi and wanted to cause trouble, I just think it did more then he thought it would do and now he doesnt know what to do with the mess he made.

Once again I am totaly open to the idea of getting something started so we as users can pay him on a monthly donation basis for the work, its better then nothing at all. If he doesnt want help then all is basicly lost.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »14.01.05 - 13:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    minator
    Quote:

let MorphOS 1.4.2 be free and then sell MorphOS 1.5. Let the money go to the MOS-team. When the MOS team then develop 1.6, give 1.5 for free.

The MorphOS guys should do this themselves, form a company and sell 1.5, there'll be no problems with Ambient as David's argument is with BBRV not the MorphOS team.

What they really need to do is port it to the Mac mini - that way they might actually sell enough to pay at least a few of them.

BBRV will in one way or another own part of MorphOS and as such they will be entitled to a chunk of the profits. So in the end the story could have a happy but somewhat ironic ending.

Of course the arguments of who is due how much could get rahter messy...
  • »14.01.05 - 13:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @ minator

Doesn't a "Fork" in development usually mean some kind of a "split"? In that context I think it may be a little bit missguiding to talk about "the MorphOS team" in singular (or perhaps it's correct to mention the MorphOS team in singular, but the other "team" by a different name? The "Gerber" team perhaps?). And while the desktop is the most visible thing you encounter as a user, perhaps the OS core etc is more important?

But sure, I support the idea of the "Gerber Team" making a business of their own and selling their products. They won't get rich though. In fact, I doubt they even could make a starving living from it even if they all would live with their parents (BTW I could not care less where they live, and I am sure most of you feel the same), but it could perhaps be a healthy lesson?
  • »14.01.05 - 14:52
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    cecilia
    believe me, niteman, only a silly and childish person would find this situation "funny".

no one of any worth is laughing at you.

I don't personally know anyone with an AmigaONE or uA1 to be laughing, or happy, or "vindicated" by what is happening here.

we are all amiga users and we all feel the pain.

we must just do the best we can and move forward.
    Don't let anyone divide us. we all have a common goal: to have an amiga OS.
    "if you ever slam anyone, for anything, somehow you always end up eating shoe" Targhan
  • »14.01.05 - 14:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    TreeBeard
    Why blame David Gerber for going public?

bbrv had 18 months to sort out the problem by discussing it around the table.

Waiting 18 months before going public shows an extraordinary amount of patience.
    Micro AmigaOne and second hand Pegasos2
  • »14.01.05 - 15:32
  • Just looking around
    evilrich
    @Gelb, DSLCC

Quote:

The ultimate end of argument. This is what is so entertaining about these 'Amiga' discussions. They all end in personal attacks with no constructive result.

Quote:

> Might I recommend you learn how to
    > punctuate? People might take your
    > arguments more seriously.

That's a hell of an argument!

That wasn't an argument or a personal attack.

Communication requires that people can understand what you write.

And, anyway, just how were Maurix's comments part of a constructive argument?

Cheers,
    Rich
  • »14.01.05 - 15:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    AMiGR
    Shall I remind you something? This is called MorphZone... If you wish to jump to Linux, go one, jump the hell out now. The rest of us are NOT here for Linux but solely for MorphOS.
    Alkis Tsapanidis
  • »14.01.05 - 16:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    AMiGR
    You tend to ignore some things... David Gerber is not alone anymore... He has the majority of the team by his side.
    Alkis Tsapanidis
  • »14.01.05 - 16:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    liquidbit
    I don't really like to talk about this story which is became a BIG ISSUE but...it is time for me to say some words too.

@bbrv
    I'm really disapointend from you.
    You were not able to take any useful action to save the name of your company. You should be the first person to know that a company is bond with their employees and your public relations than with a product. Without those two basic things you are not even able to sell a tissue!

@pegasos users
    I feel a deep grief for you guys, because you were a great fellowship in this very short journey.
    I' will not stop to use MOS, and I hope neither to you. But I'm pretty sure that the MOS development will stay depended from the Linux & AmigaOS4 open source development. But a recompiling of an existing open source code. Thus not a really MOS development.

@to me
    I feel an idiot to spend 1000euro’s for a Linux machine, when I could spend much less money with double of speed i386 system.

@non pegasos users
    Don’t buy a pegasos, buy a mac..
    ..there will be only one left.
  • »14.01.05 - 16:28
  • jah
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    jah
    i find this thread very usefull, at least bbrv did publicaly spit on morphos
    things looks "bright" now
    i dont understand why they dont leave mz

@henes be sure amiga users appreciate your work a lot, same for david
  • »14.01.05 - 16:46
    Profile Visit Website