• Butterfly
    Butterfly
    tomjoad
    Quote:

Anyway, the problem remains who else should do a GUI in the worst case scenario

Wish I could help out there - started a WB replacement a looong time ago back on the Amiga, originally as a WB replacement for OS4, but later I didn't want any OS4 anymore and MorphOS had Ambient so it just stopped rather sooner than later. But I think I won't have the time.

My personal comment on this situation: it's a typical Amiga-market disaster. Lots of opinions and nothing is clear. At least David could have published the licensing details along with his statement, and without knowing the licence terms and contracts some of you (I guess even more on Amiga sites, I haven't visited any for over a year now) discussing things you haven't got a clue about.

The only wise ones are the core MorphOS team who shut up for now. But I do agree that there's time to communicate once a solution path has definitely been worked out. No sooner, but no later. At this point, I would neither trust the comments of BBRV, nor those of Gerber.

Btw, this is a good example for why I always say never licence any stuff that is an essential part of your project. As you see, trying to save money in the wrong places just results in disaster sooner or later.

I had never been that fond of Genesi's way of approaching things. Like, throwing out free dev boards to everyone who had a project or an idea for one. May be cheaper than paying them for developing stuff, but in the end if they get tired of it, you still haven't got software and one board less.

I think it would have been the best way to have in-house (at least, self-controlled) development of software targeted at some special markets to which you could sell the stuff as complete solutions (computer+monitor+preinstalled software), no matter whether Linux or MorphOS. Maybe you pay a lot more this way, but you're building own IP ... if you go for the right markets, then it may be easier to find investors ... but counting on OpenSource ... sorry I don't think this works out, not as a business.
  • »23.11.04 - 18:42