• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Velcro_SP
    Robin says:
    Quote:

Just a little reminder what else might be missing in 1.5 without zapek ;-) :

http://zapek.com/software/amitcp/

In that page he states he is the "maintainer" of AmiTCP for a Finnish company NSDi. I recall a no-charge version of AmiTCP on Aminet years ago and that made me think it wasn't a proprietary project, but rather a base that different, more advanced projects like Miami and Genesis built on. NSDi says they had some problems with OS 3.9 Genesis version licensing (essentially, the publishers of that didn't pay).

The challenge as I saw it with MOS version of TCP/IP was to make it user-friendly and that is what I thought was being worked on. It doesn't mean that Zapek was doing that. Maybe he was though. Nobody has said that though. Nobody has said that Zapek has some deal with NSDi that he can withhold MOS TCP/IP like Ambient and Voyager. "Maintainer" doesn't mean that to me.

The TCP/IP stack is an essential feature of MOS 1.5, so I agree with you about its importance. Why even bother with 1.5 if these new features are not introduced? We also need the update of printer drivers from the TurboPrint folks and the other stuff. It is terrible terrible terrible if these programs are developed and sitting on the shelf because no terms can be reached. They lose value sitting on a shelf, and the situation just gets worse, and the users suffer.

I urge all the parties involved to try to understand the positions of the others. A lot of people criticize bbrv, but Pegasos is not any cash cow for them. There are hopes for the future, including the future of MOS, but there are risks there too. I try to be evenhanded, bbrv must also recognize the importance of meeting the promises and representations that have been made and of taking this next big step into the future.

Remember the giant step of introducing the Pegasos 2 at the end of last year? They did it! So everyone should dig down deep and try to find a way.

[ Edited by Velcro_SP on 2004/11/22 7:53 ]
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »22.11.04 - 12:50