• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

niteman1969 wrote:
    By The Way

MANY MANY thanks to the guys on the #morphos irc channel helping me out to get
    MOS installed especially Tokai...

I am now Very Happy with my PegasosII
    and now only have to work out how to install
    Genesis TCP/IP stack from my old OS 3.9 cd

Regards

Niteman1969

Hi. Welcome to Morphzone! :-)

Since you seem to be a bit of a beginner (I may be wrong), perhaps you should consider Miami instead. That one is really easy to install, set up (thanks to it's "guide"/"wizard"), and use. It also has a working DHCP which simplifies things if you don't have a static IP or a router. You will find a very easy step-by-step instruction here:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1906&forum=9

I am running Genesis myself, but that is a little bit harder to install (no step-by-step instructions) and a lot more difficult to set up, and I have not got the DHCP to work (even though I have tried some instructions and an archive on aminet that's said to take care of this, but I didn't get it to work right away, and I don't need it anyway so I just dropped my attempts).

As I said, I don't think there is an easy step-by-step guide for installing and configuring Genesis, but you might find some info if you search this site a bit. This is a snippet I found, written by myself (note that these are not instructions at all, but perhaps a few clues?):

"I experimented a little bit before I got it working, but in the end I didn't even run any install scripts. If I recall correctly I just downloaded the MUI demo version from aminet, extracted that to RAM:, entered the Genesis folder and copied the Genesis folder inside to the place I wanted it "installed". I then copied the key.library (I don't remember its exact name right now, was it keymaster.library or such?) from the OS3.9 CD to the libs folder inside the newly "installed" Genesis folder. From running snoopdos I figured out that I needed to copy two MUI mcc files from the extracted Genesis folder in RAM (I think there is a folder there like MUI/libs/MUI/libs/ or something like that), I copied the two missing files to my newly "installed" Genesis/MUI folder. And then it worked! (I didn't copy the modem related files, since I don't use modem)"

Snoopdos is very good to have at hand. No, correction: It's *essential*!

When it's up and running error-free, you will have to configure the network inside the Genesis preferences. Since I already had it installed, I used MiamiDX in the setup process to query the MAC address of my Peg, and also to see what IP address I got from the DHCP server (I have a "semi-static IP" = it changes very rarely, so I don't really need a router) and other info.

This worked for me (if I remember correctly, it was a LOOONG time ago ;-)): Start up Genesis prefs and create a new interface. Name it (eth0 for instance), fill in your IP and set it to static, fill in your Gateway and set it to static, fill in the netmask, MTU: 1500, and in "Params:" you type "ADDR=" followed by your MAC address (in the format ADDR=00:00:00:00:00:00). In the SANA-II tab you enter the path to the network interface device (for instance dh0:morphos/devs/networks/via_rhinepci.device) and ENV:Sana2/via_rhinepci0.config in config file, delete everything in the modem tab, and then enter all the IP's to your domain name servers in the resolv tab. Hmm, I probably forgot something, so you'll probably have to experiment a bit on your own.

OK, that was a long off-topic post, but I thought that since I was already going to dedicate a post here anyway to ask you *to start a new thread* for these kind of *off-topic* discussions, I thought I could at least fill it with something useful. ;-)

But please, if you have any follow up questions or such, move them to a new thread! :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »01.11.04 - 09:49