question for everyone
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    James
    I have an idea that has been in my head for a while...

BBRV suggested that I post this online here to get some feedback from the Pegasos community.

How would all Pegasos users here like to have a web-based magazine that would cater specifically to the Pegasos platform? It would be in English from the main page, but I would like to expand that to other languages with links to the different language pages. After all, many languages are represented here in these forums. :-)

I would like to see the following in it: program of the month (or whatever name is decided), editorial section, review section for hardware and software, Pegasos news section, MorphOS news section, Linux news section, picture of the month, programming section for beginners and experts, and ask the expert question section, where the Pegasos is being used section, etc.

The name for the magazine has not been decided yet, but I have a couple in mind. Any suggestions? :-)

There is definitely a need for something like this in Pegaland... :-D

Names being considered so far:

"GU Pegasos" (Genesi User Pegasos)
    "Pegasos Computing"
    "Pegasos Format"
    "Pegasos Future"
    "Pegasos Magazine"
    "Pegasos Power"
    "Pegasos Prime"
    "Planet Pegasos"

Update: There seems to be a lot of interest in the PDF format as well as web-based, which would definitely make this magazine a bi-monthly one, but a monthly schedule could be considered too.

From all the suggestions received so far, this has to be a community effort because one or two people cannot do this alone. This project has to involve many people to produce a quality product that will present the Pegasos platform to the masses. This is my goal with all of this - getting the average computer user to start looking at the Pegasos and what it can do for him/her. This could be a beacon to attract these people to our platform. Once the magazine (PDF/Web) is announced officially, it will make news all over the Internet - that is a given. This could be an incredible opportunity for Genesi to generate a lot more interest in the platform.
  • »11.10.04 - 02:33
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    bbrv
    ...it was Emil's idea -- Pegasos Daily.

Shortly after, James thought it might be a good idea too.

Why the Dell not?!

:-D

R&B :-)

P.S. Could we call it "WATTS Happening?!" :-P
  • »11.10.04 - 03:09
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    James
    Quote:

bbrv wrote:
    Why the Dell not?!

DELL? DELL computers are garbage imo. :-P

The only exception is their new PocketPC (AXIM X50) - nice! :-)
  • »11.10.04 - 03:18
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    hey! what if we called it "Pegasos future" :lol: :lol: there is a completly original name (caugh *copywrite infringement* cough) :-P
    "Poundsmack, official morphzone thread creator" -LorD
    "Wanna be lord of the avatars." -JKD
  • »11.10.04 - 04:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    stefkos
    It will be nice to read Pegasos Magazine.
  • »11.10.04 - 09:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Yvan
    A dedicated Pegasos Magazine is what I'm waiting for. Would be nice if it could also been available in PDF format for download.
  • »11.10.04 - 12:24
  • psd
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    psd
    I agree and I'd like to see a german translation (mail me if i can help here)
  • »11.10.04 - 12:45
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    antibike
    i want to make something new ... i'am too ... i'am too ... i'am too ... and so on

i don't think that we need something like a web-based magazine because we allready have a web-based magazine with most of the features you wrote and the name is MorphZone.org

if you are missing a feature on morphzone than ask targhan if it is possible to add and you can of course help him! i think it is not a good move to split all the pegasos news, forums and so on to thousends of web sites. we allready have

morph.zone
    morphos-news.de
    pegasos-forum.de

and good known amiga sites that allso have news content about pegasos / morphos

amiga-news.de
    ann.lu

and we have sites like
    http://www.tbs-software.com/pegworld/
    that need help to get better.

and what we realy need is new software that we can write news about to the existing news sites.

this is my point of view!
  • »11.10.04 - 13:23
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    James
    Quote:

Yvan wrote:
    A dedicated Pegasos Magazine is what I'm waiting for. Would be nice if it could also been available in PDF format for download.

That is what I would like to see also. I have the software to create nice-looking PDFs. :-)
  • »11.10.04 - 13:49
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    James
    @ antibike

My idea of this is to create a PDF magazine and also have it on the web - two formats. It is not going to be just a "news" site.

Also, there are not thousands of websites dedicated to the Pegasos platform. A Google search will confirm this... Any additional presence on the Web is beneficial to the Pegasos platform. It certainly is not going to hurt it in any way whatsoever.

To get new software for the Pegasos platform, one has to bring developers to the table. To do that, they need to learn more about the platform.
  • »11.10.04 - 14:00
    Stevo
    Well, not a bad idea at all. A forum is a forum, a news-site a news-site and a magazine (online or not) a magazine. There is a big difference between those formats. I would like to see a Pegasos Format/Power/Computing or maybe a CU Pegasos :-P

...but only if it features Sabrina-Online as comic :-D
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »11.10.04 - 15:34
    bbrv
    We traded emails with Eric about this a few months ago and had intended to visit him in Ohio, but ran out of time. This could be a good idea. We liked the one he did about the Pegasos. :-)

R&B
  • »11.10.04 - 15:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Good idea.

For the name: "Pegasos Daily" and "Pegasos Magazine" are ok for me...

As for the different languages: do we have the ressources to make it available in different ones ? (ex: English, German, French)

@MOS-Team: would be nice to have some official words from you inside the mag' (hint: progress reports, information on development, grabs,...)

@BPlan/Genesi: same thing...

If you need help, I'm ready to write some French articles... (already got an article covering my first steps with pegasos/morphos that would perfectly fit here :))

Leo.
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »11.10.04 - 18:26
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    James
    Quote:

Stevo wrote:
    Well, not a bad idea at all. A forum is a forum, a news-site a news-site and a magazine (online or not) a magazine. There is a big difference between those formats. I would like to see a Pegasos Format/Power/Computing or maybe a CU Pegasos :-P

hehehe

I could not have said it better... :-)

All of these formats are different in their own way. The magazine format I am thinking about will not trounce on MorphZone, etc. That is not the intent, as it is meant to compliment it.
  • »11.10.04 - 20:10
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    James
    Quote:

Leo wrote:
    Good idea.

@MOS-Team: would be nice to have some official words from you inside the mag' (hint: progress reports, information on development, grabs,...)

@BPlan/Genesi: same thing...
    Leo.

Two very excellent suggestions, Leo! Thanks! :-D
  • »11.10.04 - 20:17
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tronman
    Pegasos Format :-D

Works for me! I dearly miss Amiga Format, I do believe I almost came
    to tears when it ended, same with CU Amiga :-(( I'd love to see a
    'pegasos Format' magazine, I'd pay fifty bucks a year for a real
    printed version with a CD on the cover. How I miss those old CDs!

Granted, this was in the Jurassic, Pre-broadband era of computing (for
    most, anyway..) but still it was a great monthly ritual to drive to
    Barnes and Noble to buy the latest Amiga mags off the shelf. I miss
    that, and we need it as a platform to gain any cred at all in the real
    world.

I can write, and I can review things. I'd do it for free at least at
    first ;-)

So, count me in!
  • »13.10.04 - 07:14
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    James
    Great! :-)

It will be PDF-based and also a little web-based, because there is no reason to waste money on printing it with so many computer users on the Internet. Plus, the magazine will be environmentally-friendly (no paper). That could change though as I know a person that can make a printed version. ;-)

I am still undecided how much to charge for it, as it would be for getting a printed version of the magazine - it would cost me lots of money to get this done (not too much though!). If it were to remain a PDF-based only magazine, I would charge something but it won't be as much as a printed version. My goal is to get it out to many computer users, Pegasos users or not. So with that in mind, I could release a sample PDF so people can check the new magazine out. Then they can subscribe if they want to, either printed, PDF, or both. On the website, it won't have everything on it for each issue. Basically, it would be for highlighting the current issue.

I would like to aim for a January 2005 launch.

Thoughts on this? :-D
  • »13.10.04 - 07:33
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

antibike wrote:
    i don't think that we need something like a web-based magazine because we allready have a web-based magazine with most of the features you wrote and the name is MorphZone.org
    this is my point of view!

Antibike, think about people that are not able to visit Mzone everyday. lot of usefull information are posted everyday on the site and if you want to catch up you need to go trough all the forums. An online magazin that concentrate all those usefull information will be more than welcome and will get interest from many people.
    Last thing, mzone is Mos oriented, the magasin will be Pegasos oriented featuring all the OS and possibilities :) It will resume all interesting news from Mzone, PPCZone ect
  • »13.10.04 - 14:46
  • Just looking around
    Call it "Pegasos Prime" or "Pegasos Power" something with snap in it....
  • »13.10.04 - 15:22
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Phantom
    I think Pegasos Format it would be better (it reminds me Amiga Format)

About CU Pegasos, I think it's wrong, because if I am right the CU Amiga magazine, was Commodore User Amiga initials.

So change it to GU Pegasos (Genesi User Pegasos) :-D :-D :-D
  • »13.10.04 - 15:45
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Jonny_Rico
    I would like to have a "MOS developers news" side, too.... where the MOS developers could write down their updates.... mhh... think that will be a white page then ;-)
  • »13.10.04 - 18:13
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    James
    Quote:

Phantom206 wrote:
    I think Pegasos Format it would be better (it reminds me Amiga Format)

About CU Pegasos, I think it's wrong, because if I am right the CU Amiga magazine, was Commodore User Amiga initials.

So change it to GU Pegasos (Genesi User Pegasos) :-D :-D :-D

LOL That is funny... :-D It is definitely is on the list now!
  • »13.10.04 - 18:14
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    James
    Quote:

Jonny_Rico wrote:
    I would like to have a "MOS developers news" side, too.... where the MOS developers could write down their updates.... mhh... think that will be a white page then ;-)

Great idea! That way MorphOS developers can let the public know what they are working on or updating soon. :-D
  • »13.10.04 - 18:31
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    "Pegasos Format" was the first name that popped in my head, too :-)
    -~= Amiga Cats don't get Microsoft worms! =~-
  • »13.10.04 - 21:12
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    James
    Quote:

Holley wrote:
    "Pegasos Format" was the first name that popped in my head, too :-)

Hey Holley!

The problem with that though is that there may be a copyright problem with using "Format" in the name, because of PC Format, Mac Format, Amiga Format, etc. I don't want to choose a name and then have to change it later on because of a copyright lawsuit. ;-)
  • »13.10.04 - 21:59