• Just looking around
    DaveP
    Looking at the current crop of business partners, Genesi needs to get its hardware and software used in solutions, where the margins are high or find a volume resale for software that also can be sold at a high profit marging to a high volume of people.

What do we have?

LinuxPPC sold to end users
    -- most people will question why they want LinuxPPC, I dont see a good reason to go LinuxPPC rather than Linux x86 at the moment
    -- low volume potential

MorphOS sold to end users
    -- Why MorphOS and not Windows or Linux? Those that it makes sense to are probably already in posession of an AmigaONE or a Pegasos.
    -- very low volume potential

Peg/LinuxPPC sold to Freescale
    -- for evaluation purposes and chip testing?

HP allowing Genesi to bundle their software with Peg/LinuxPPC
    -- is this that much of a big deal?
    -- who will buy it?

IBM allowing Genesi to use its Ready For IBM Technology on their boards, after self testing with their G3s
    -- so?

IBM allowing Genesi to be listed on its solutions database list
    -- who is looking?

So Ive excluded the ones that have gone by the wayside.

Actually the last one is the most important one, because the /only/ way to make money is to get your system used by at least one solution provider, and for it to work, for you to get a service contract and for your systems to be used in volume in that solution. Then, in theory, if your kit does not suck, it will be recommended by the ISV and potentially reused - you have a testimonial.

This is far better than toadying up to your suppliers, they can't introduce you to ISVs in a credible fashion.

You need to toady up to ISVs, in order to do that you need to get introduced to a few through the "network" and in order for that to happen you need a good sales story, and in order for that you have to have demonstrated something in their business sector on your systems, so they know you can provide a platform that they can use at the right level.

This means middleware.

List the middleware that is available on linuxppc, and who uses it and what for, and what its compatible with, then you will see the available markets for you. Then hire someone to spend 6 months coming up with a demonstration package and material for the most lucrative market you identify.

Then start flying around all over and showing it off. THEN people will take you seriously, THEN you will get the margins needed to sustain Genesi while MorphOS is developed.

If I was a red troll, I wouldn't tell you this business 'secret' I'd carry on watching you flounder.

Move your marketing strategy to the right, away from hardware, and make the hardware part of the solution. Then you might actually be part of a big installation.
    Fully paid up card holding authorized, certified, red troll ( apparently ).
  • »23.07.04 - 09:13
    Profile Visit Website