• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Woah!

I leave the net for a couple of days and all hell breaks loose! Controversy on MZ :-o

Ok to gather my thoughts somewhat:

1. MOS 1.5 -
    Is being developed daily but these things take time. There are some real genius coders working on it but they are only human. IMO the main barrier for MOS atm is lack of a real web browser - this is MOST critical for any real market penetration outside of highly specialized embedded or kiosk type applications.

2. Bplan and repairs:

A. DCE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BPLAN. BPLAN RENTS THE FACILITY FOR PRODUCTION RUNS

B. Bplan ALWAYS fixes boards and are very good reliable people. (see 1 above) but it is only a handful of people and these things take time. Keep in mind they are right in the middle of a major (and most important to date) order with Freescale/Motorola

3. Pegasos2 Seg Faults/ Ram problems:

In some configurations with more than 512mb ram and 2 sticks you get random crashes and seg faults but this is fixed with upcoming OF update.

I have built and run many Pegasos 2 boxes and used ram from Infineon, PNY, Corsair, Samsung (the best imo) and more and they all have worked great and reliably.

I run 2.6.6 kernel here daily and as my main box, i've had uptimes of two weeks and more!

4. DaveP : :-?

<sigh> Is obviously an intelligent person with a knowledge of computers and the industry. HOWEVER, he has banned me from aw.net for posting half the things he posted here AND has spread many False and Damadging rumours about Genesi/bplan and MOS. This is fact. Of course we dont operate like aw.net and all opinions are welcome here. (Why is he here is the real mystery)

5. Future Shock:

Well, it may take a year for MOS to be where Genesi wants it to be for market appeal. I think thats what BBRV meant. There are major features being worked on atm and these will take a while.
    Genesi has taken many angles in the marketplace with the Pegasos technology and sooner or later will score big! (/me hopes_)

** I'd like to add this to give the MOS users hope. BBRV, Paul Adams, and myself have taken many high level meetings with people in the forefront of the communications, media, scientific, gaming, and computer industries. Everyone I presented MOS to was astounded. I dont mean just interested but WOW!

People do want alternatives. M$ is flatlining - Apple is doing great things and is gaining ground - Linux is becoming a people's movement - there is wiggle room for MOS in the market on several levels, both end user and industrial.

"You guys are leading the pack in the business for alternative operating systems. This is one of the most impressive operating systems we have seen in a long time"
    --- A Senior V.P @ Atari

"Your operating system is most impressive and the speed is blinding - with more resources and time it could be a force in the market" -- Head of New Product Development for Virgin media group

etc. etc..

(i've probably said enough) :-D

magnetic

[ Edited by magnetic on 2004/7/22 13:20 ]
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »22.07.04 - 18:13
    Profile Visit Website