multiple monitors on MorphOS
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    zhulien
    Hi, before I got out and buy a couple of PCI gfx cards for my Pegasos 2, I just wanted to verify if I wanted multiple monitors on my Pegasos 2, I do in fact need to go buy multiple PCI gfx cards? I'm wanting 3 monitors at least, but will consider 4 (like my A4000 had).

Julian
  • »16.07.07 - 04:14
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    MarK
    well, i haven't tested it yet, but on amiga, i used normal pal monitor and a mediator/voodoo vga monitor. when working in the pal, the vga monitor was normally visible, while when working in the vga, the pal monitor was black. perhaps some small hack could fix it. anyway it should work with no problem... only one thing would be nice... to move mouse over these screens side by side... :) any tool?

bye, MarK.
  • »16.07.07 - 06:27
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    If you want multiple cards, you can use only 1 (one) PCI Radeon. The rest must be either Voodoo or Sis.
  • »16.07.07 - 07:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    MarK:

You can set it in RTG software that it doesn't blank other screens. Namely in monitor tooltypes. PASSTHROUGH=YES on CGX and DisplayChain=NO in P96.

I started to make a program, which would move mouse pointer over the screens by draging mouse on borders, but then I found that someone else has already made similar program. But now I forgot the name... I'll try to find it again later :)
  • »16.07.07 - 08:21
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Quote:

.... only one thing would be nice... to move mouse over these screens side by side... :) any tool?

Shameless plug ;)

One thing, this was only tested under Amithlon (Matrox Millenium) and with my A4k (Picasso2+CV64), never under MOS.
  • »16.07.07 - 13:52
  • Just looking around
    amigaguy
    Quote:

If you want multiple cards, you can use only 1 (one) PCI Radeon. The rest must be either Voodoo or Sis.

Does that mean you can you use one Radeon AGP and one Radeon PCI then?
  • »16.07.07 - 14:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    No. It means just what I said. You can have one Radeon and it must be on PCI if you want multiple cards. It probably has to sit in the 1st PCI slot too. With PCI + AGP Radeon only the PCI one will work.
  • »16.07.07 - 15:13
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    zhulien
    why the one radeon limit? I don't have any voodoo cards. - isn't it just like AmigaOS that you can assign new screens to a new monitor? Why would the 'type' of video card matter (obviously drivers permitting)?
  • »23.07.07 - 15:30
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

why the one radeon limit?

Because the OF can init only one.
  • »23.07.07 - 15:35
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    zhulien
    is that a bug or a really badly designed firmware?
  • »24.07.07 - 06:53
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    No, it's a feature. Without this we'd be stuck with OpenFirmware compatible Radeons.
  • »24.07.07 - 07:55
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    zhulien
    That sounds the way to go! That way we could probably have propper multiple monitor support - since the current Wintel Radeons are not going to be produced in 20 years time anyway. (20 years is a good round number cause my A4000 is not THAT far off).
  • »25.07.07 - 02:01
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Your Pegasos already isn't produced anymore...
  • »25.07.07 - 07:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tronman
    By OpenFirmware compatible Radeons, you mean those typically meant for Macintosh, right? Because I have several laying around. Will Pegasos OF use those cards?

In x86 land, you can stick several Radeons in one box and it'll work with them all, and in OpenFirmware as on a Mac you can have multiple Radeons, so one would think it would be possible for the OpenFirmware in a Peg, which emulates an x86 to wake the cards up, to use multiple Radeons as well. Why wouldn't it be?

Is there any way currently to use XGI cards with MOS?
  • »29.07.07 - 20:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

By OpenFirmware compatible Radeons, you mean those typically meant for Macintosh, right?

Yes. They probably work, never tried one myself though. I don't really have enough technical knowledge about this stuff to be more specific.

There are no XGI cards supported by MorphOS. Such support is not even planned at the moment.
  • »29.07.07 - 20:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Well the mac cards may work but why use a Mac card which is more pricey than the pc one? And risk it not working..

And I can tell you from Extensive testing back when I was a dealer and worked for Genesi that there is NO WAY to have more than 1 Radeon in a multiple card setup, OF wont even come up iirc. So FORGET IT. I used to have a Voodoo 3500 tv agp and a Radeon 9000 pro PCI installed in my Peg working nicely with dual monitor and in Linux I could even have shared screen/extended desktop! (Not in mOS but I wish)

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »29.07.07 - 21:01
    Profile Visit Website