• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Brumiga wrote:
    Hello,

Saturday i have updated my firmware with success and correctly set up the environment variables. But now at every first boot of my computer i have a message "Error while attemting to load or boot", then i press the reset button or i type reset at keyboard it reboots fine. Why do i have now this problem ? Before this update i have had it two or three times only. Is it due to hardware conflict ? Please help me.

Brumiga

I have had this problem all along since the beginning with the Pegasos II (G4 only, with the G3 it works just fine, same motherboard, same hardware, just a different CPU card). I have a Seagate HDD and I think they may be a little slow during initializing in coold boot (or the firmware is too fast ;-)). If I reset the computer just seconds after I power it up, then the harddrive is already spinning and is ready to shoot, but I can never cold boot right away from coold start. :-( I think this is not just a Seagate problem, but also certain IBM discs and also some others.

I have addressed this problem since the very first public version of the firmware (I was a Peg2 owners from the first batch). I have e-mailed b-plan about this and I have made comments in public forums. There has been many firmware upgrades since then, but this far it doesn't seem like anyone has taken this (BIG!) problem seriously enough!

I had great hopes that this latest firmware update would change these things, but it certainly didn't! :-(

An open firmware variable like "IDE Delay" or such, where you can set a value in seconds, would probably solve the whole thing! But untill anyone takes this issue serious enough I guess you will have to manually program a delay loop (search the morpzone forums).
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »03.03.05 - 23:35