• Just looking around
    IOSPIRIT
    Quote:

Never used anything but SAS/C and Dice, so if and how many SAS dependencies are in the code is an open question to me (ingorance is bliss). What's your experience ? Is gcc 2.95.3 as frustrating as rumour says ? Is the code generator and optimizer sufficiently bug-free, and how long did it take you to tweak SAS/C code so that gcc is happy with it ?

I never used gcc on AMIGA or MOS to be honest. I started learning C with Maxon C++ (maybe the buggiest compiler ever :), then switched over to SAS/C, used SAS/C PPC for PowerUP binaries for a while but finally switched to the combination SAS/C for 68K + vbcc for PPC (PowerUP/WarpUP/MorphOS). vbcc is easy to install, has good math libs and has updated to the latest MOS API only little time ago. Right now I'm not aware of any bugs in it and the only "drawbacks" are that it requires "clean" code (e.g. a lot of casting) and is limited to ANSI-C. All I had to change to make my code run under vbcc is adding quite a few castings ;-)

Thanks to the excellent work of Frank Wille, his continued commitment to the vbcc development and his kind support if you need help, there are also lots of tools included that allow to compile virtually any project.

Regarding the reliability and bug-freeness of the optimizers, I can only say as much that I don't use any optimization options: they steel your time if you are developing the app and testing stuff and steeling it again when seeking for obscure errors caused by optimization. This said, I had bad experiences with the optimization of SAS/C and gcc under Linux. I never tried optimization options in vbcc, though.

Quote:

Well, I don't use a Pegasos and don't want to get into blind flights. If it runs, that's good enough for me. It doesn't have to look good.

I can understand your argumentation. However, adding a few lines of code to make GoldED look better, if MorphOS is detected (e.g. via FindResident("MorphOS")) should not harm anybody, but will make GoldED look a lot better under MOS. It will of course still work under MOS without any changes, but some skins won't be able to unfold their full beauty in that case.

Also, having GoldED in a too-be-compiled MOS developer package would be a good thing. But let's discuss this particular topic via email if the time has come :-)

Regards, Felix
    --
    Felix Schwarz
  • »05.03.03 - 10:19
    Profile Visit Website