• jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    1) If partition name gets "CF0", will that cause any conflict to 68k progs looking for DH0 by default?

I don't think there are many programs hardcoded to DH0, after all it was popular to name partitions as HD0, HD1, etc too in old times and nobody complained. I would say that only couple of really old or amateurish games could be hardcoded for DH0... and they are broken by desing in that case :)

Doesn't even HDToolbox name partitions according manufacturer? At least I'd remember getting QDH0 for a Quantum drive etc. In any case CF0: should be just fine.

Quote:

1A) I have experienced conflicts with HDFs that have Volume name as "System" on MorphOS (usually they are ready to play HDF packages). Sometimes they don't appear on Ambient after mounting or they take over my actual System partition and when I double click my own MorphOS System, instead of my regular System, a 3.x System might appear. I have been able to overcome this by mounting on e-uae, then manually copying its content to a secondary empty hdf (which is mounted on e-uae as well), quit, mount the new hdf on Ambient and rip its content. But this procedure is tiresome, is there a way to overcome this?

Too bad someone has named them as System... by default Amiga's system partition is named as Workbench. And for a game installation a game name would be more proper, or so...

But an easier way that should work:
    1) Mount a HDF in FileImageCtrl, for example, by dragging&dropping the image file into the program window.
    2) Relabel the image from the Shell by using a device name as the first argument. If the image got mounted in unit 0, then "Relabel FILE0: NewName" should do the trick.

Quote:

2) Under PFS3AIO do we have to use a different hex identifier too, same as SFS on the example? Is the MorphOS PFS incompatible with 68k?

I don't know if the MorphOS PFS3 and PFS3AIO are compatible, and if nobody (Piru) will confirm, I'd use a different identifier.

MorphOS uses identifier 0x50465303 (PFS3... 50 = "P", 46 = "F", 53 = "S", 03 = 3), and to make it different you could use some other number at the end or change the letters. I don't know if there is any recommendation for AIO or is it common to use the same PFS3 for it too. Direct SCSI version of PFS3 did use PDS3, and then older PFS versions used PFS2 etc. But to pull something out of the hat, maybe AIO3, PAO3, PFS9, or something like that could be used as long as you use the same identifier on the filesystem you add to the RDB and on the actual partition. Use KeyExplorer to convert those letters to hex values, and add a zero in front of a digit :)

Quote:

3) Max transfer rate is again 0x1FE00 if the CF will be connected to a fast ide port (in my example to TF536 ide)? From benchmarks I saw that accelerator's speed is about the double compared to a stock 1200 ide. So, should the max rate be doubled as well? :D

As told, max transfer value isn't related to the actual speed. I guess there isn't a noticeable difference in transfer speeds on any Amiga hw because of this.

Quote:

3A) THIS link states: Specific max transfer settings are not required if you use IDEfix97 on internal IDE, when using PFS3 All-in-One or when using PCMCIA (emphasis mine). If so, then how the setup of the CF should like on MorphOS?

If those workarounds in PFS3AIO will make it work like 0x1FE00 anyway, why not use it in the first place too? I don't know.. at least if you put 0x1FE00 and happen to format it with some other filesystem later, it'd be there just in case :)

Quote:

Generally speaking, I think the tutorial on the Library should be updated to include PFS3AIO drive format, since it's considered the defacto on 68k and others might be in my position in the future.

The tutorial was written by me, but I've had better experiences with SFS in the old days, and don't have much experience with PFS3AIO... and its archive is just empty on documentation, so I should dig around all forum threads to learn it properly... maybe some day.
  • »08.12.22 - 18:52
    Profile Visit Website