• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    Quote:

ChrisMarsden wrote:
    Quote:

boot_wb wrote:

Is the router gigabit capable?

It's possible that a cable can be tolerant of 10/100, but fail trying to negotiate 1000Mbit cx.
    If possible, it may be worth trying to set the router (temporarily) to always negotiate only 100Mbit connections (It's possible that OSX may fall back more gracefully to a slower cx in this case than MorphOS).

It's a remote possibility, but easy to check.

The only other similar case i can remember involved a dying hard drive - but that's heading into chicken-sacrificing territory...

I must admit i was dubious about this advice! I was using a cheap PoE adapter to extend the Ethernet cable. this one or very similar:

Ebay item

Once I connected the cable directly to the Lan port (on a Powerline/homeplug device) dhcp acquired an address and hey presto - networking is up....

Many thanks!

I have never seen this behavior before - whats going on??

You're welcome, glad it solved your problem.

On a physical level, it's the wonderful world of physics :-) increased frequency means increased impedence, reducing the signal to noise ratio to a point where errors occur more frequently.

On a software level, i couldn't say, but I would guess they get so far negotiating a gb connection before crapping out due to too many errors, dropping the link, then beginning the dance over again. Maybe OSX stops trying to negotiate a higher speed altogether after so many attempts or something.

Incidentally, Windows is pretty bad in this regard also. If you see your network connection continually dropping/reconnecting it's worth trying (autonegotiation settings can usually be set in the network adapter advanced settings).

[ Edited by boot_wb 19.06.2016 - 23:13 ]
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »19.06.16 - 20:42
    Profile Visit Website