Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    Quote:

ChrisMarsden wrote:
    Quote:

boot_wb wrote:
    Quote:

ChrisMarsden wrote:
    I have the same issue - just installed 3.9 for the first time on a G5 yesterday. cant ping ip's on my lan. can ping localhost if i set a static ipadress. dhcp cant obtain ip address (netstat reports 0.0.0.0) have tried the above recommendations to no avail - please help!

Sinple things to check, not meant in a sarcastic way:

- In network settings, double check the radio button next to eth0 - it should be checked. Easy to miss.
    - have you tried a different cable? I've fallen foul of that old chestnut before.
    - Can you connect using a different machine at the same location/cable?

If even the router won't ping back, that suggests no network connections at all. Loopback is (as you probably know) a dummy host on the same machine, so not indicative of anything beyond 'The tcp stack is running and i have an ip address'.

- eth0 is checked in network interfaces
    - cable is fine - i can boot into OSX 10.5.8 and networking works.

Is the router gigabit capable?

It's possible that a cable can be tolerant of 10/100, but fail trying to negotiate 1000Mbit cx.
    If possible, it may be worth trying to set the router (temporarily) to always negotiate only 100Mbit connections (It's possible that OSX may fall back more gracefully to a slower cx in this case than MorphOS).

It's a remote possibility, but easy to check.

The only other similar case i can remember involved a dying hard drive - but that's heading into chicken-sacrificing territory...
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »19.06.16 - 10:36
    Profile Visit Website