SMP/AMP, or other multiprocessing for MorphOS???
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > To me it seems they have managed to somehow the stretch the (AOS4) API so
    > that SMP like threading has become possible.

More information:

http://blog.hyperion-entertainment.biz/?p=1184
  • »26.02.15 - 07:59
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    well you just can't expect some solid work here. everything that came from hyperion was buggy and unstable even in their old days when they ported games...
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »26.02.15 - 08:54
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Edited - Sorry that sounded snide.

It does look like Thomas is facing the same realities we've been discussing.

[ Edited by Jim 28.02.2015 - 17:59 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »28.02.15 - 21:09
    Kronos
    Quote:

"they assume SMP means everything running on all cores as soon as AROS starts.

The S in SMP stands for "symetric" meaning all cores are treated equally (and therefore all tasks can be scheduled on every core at any given time).

If it ain't doing that for apps compiled against the Amiga-API, it ain't SMP.

Still a step in the right direction, and IMO the best possible way to may use of multicore/CPU systems within a reasonable timeframe.

[ Edited by Kronos 01.03.2017 - 15:18 ]
  • »01.03.17 - 14:16
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Quote:

The S in SMP stands for "symetric" meaning all cores are treated equally (and therefore all tasks can be scheduled on every core at any given time).

Still a step in the right direction, and IMO the best possible way to may use of multicore/CPU systems within a reasonable timeframe.

If i understand what he is trying to achieve then it's SMP for stuff using a new API and single core for legacy code.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »01.03.17 - 14:52
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Quote:

If i understand what he is trying to achieve then it's SMP for stuff using a new API and single core for legacy code.

Which Kronos has accurately pointed out is an kind of ASMP/SMP hybrid.
    And, as I mentioned to Andreas, is something we have been discussing for awhile now ourselves.

So...AROS implements it first, and THEY get to take credit? ;-)
    Sheesh!
  • »07.03.17 - 12:56
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Quote:

And, as I mentioned to Andreas, is something we have been discussing for awhile now ourselves.

Sheesh!

A bit like the US getting credit for the British Jet Engine, Television and Silicon Chip. ;)
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

• »08.03.17 - 09:42
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Quote:

Sheesh!

A bit like the US getting credit for the British Jet Engine, Television and Silicon Chip. ;)

Well, lets be fair, the British got really dangerous nuclear power plant technology from the US. ;-)
    And the jet engine got its real start in Germany, not Britain.
    We all strip mined German technology after WWII (an old tradition, that was well underway after WWI, AND may have helped lead the way to the second war).
  • »08.03.17 - 12:59
    Kronos
    The jet engine was developed independent from each other both in UK and Germany.

UK guy started earlier, but gor no result due to lack of funding.

German guy got funding and soon surpassed british results.
  • »08.03.17 - 13:30
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Quote:

Sheesh!

Well, lets be fair, the British got really dangerous nuclear power plant technology from the US. ;-)
    And the jet engine got its real start in Germany, not Britain.
    We all strip mined German technology after WWII (an old tradition, that was well underway after WWI, AND may have helped lead the way to the second war).

Stop being so rational Jim, you'll end up being ordered to hand your passport in before being put in a camp for re-education. ;)

• »08.03.17 - 14:09
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    The jet engine was developed independent from each other both in UK and Germany.

UK guy started earlier, but gor no result due to lack of funding.

German guy got funding and soon surpassed british results.

Development after the war was definitely affected by German technology.
    It worked, the British designs didn't work that well.
    And turbines are hardly the sole purview of the British (which is all a jet engine is, a fuel driven turbine).

The British, like their counterparts in the US, are often somewhat sloppy engineers.
    This will offend the sensibilities of anyone raised on the myth of Roll Royce mechanical superiority, but anyone who has ever worked on an older British motorcycle will know exactly what I mean.

Quote:

Intuition wrote:

Stop being so rational Jim, you'll end up being ordered to hand your passport in before being put in a camp for re-education. ;)

You know my country better than some here Nik. ;-)
    I'm not sure they'd do any "re-education" there, and you simply might disappear off the face of the planet (with no notice of where you went), but yes, I do worry my government might start to resort to such things.
    Our political system is getting pretty fascist here.

We are WAY off topic here guys. I just wanted to make a jibe about the air cooled power plant the British built that ended up venting radioactive material directly into the atmosphere (not that we don't have issues, Fukushima and Three Mile Island are both GE designs if I'm not mistaken).

And while the British were essential in the development of engine technology, the US and the French seem to have the market cornered for building commercial designs with jet engines.
    Oh heck, you want to be really politically incorrect in the US? Just point out our reliance on Russian rocket technology.

Anyway, about this whole AROS/SMP thing, I think this idea has been bandied about by all three NG communities.
    Our developers just decided to scrapped the ASMP compatibility part in the move to a new ISA.

Personally, I'd love to see the current ISA developed a little more.

We already know we will see some new developments, in particular new video card support (as well as expansion to at least one new platform).
    As to where it goes from there?
    Its all a matter of how far the developers want to carry it.

[ Edited by Jim 08.03.2017 - 12:38 ]
  • »08.03.17 - 17:20
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Our developers just decided to scrapped the ASMP compatibility part in the move
    > to a new ISA.

You mean no SMP on the current ISA? Or no ASMP on the new ISA?

> I'd love to see the current ISA developed a little more.

It is. Just no MorphOS announced yet for it ;-)
  • »08.03.17 - 23:41
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Our developers just decided to scrapped the ASMP compatibility part in the move
    > to a new ISA.

You mean no SMP on the current ISA? Or no ASMP on the new ISA?

> I'd love to see the current ISA developed a little more.

It is. Just no MorphOS announced yet for it ;-)

Sorry, that was not that clear.
    No SMP for our current ISA if we are focused primarily on a move to a new ISA.
    And no ASMP for the new ISA, as discontinuing legacy support will eliminate the need.

SO...hopefully we will see continued interest in maintaining and advancing the OS on our ISA.
  • »09.03.17 - 01:38