• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Amiga isn't SMP compatible, and "Silly SMP" isn't Amiga compatible, it's as simple as that. Sure, if you have to *recompile* all the apps for your OS (or run them in UAE - which again is an Amiga environment, hence it's not SMP compatible) like on most AROS systems, not to mention ARIX, *then* it's a different matter! But this is very different from the environment that MorphOS (or OS4) offers today. And if the Amiga legacy/binary compatibility is to be dropped (in MorphOS) anyway in favor of new features that can't fit into Amiga, then why not implement these things in a *clean* and *proper* way, built from ground up, instead of a "hackish" way that is just, well... Silly? I respect the effort from a "just for fun, lets get our hands dirty and explore how far we can take this" point of view (nothing wrong with that, especially not in an AROS context), but from a design point of view for real, end-user systems, it's a different matter. I think the best thing with "Silly SMP" is its name!

While I always appreciate your input, I don't think we all were talking about "Silly SMP".
    Just the few that have mentioned AROS.
    We were talking about running our current OS concurrently with an SMP enabled version.
    The latter would, by necessity, be incapable of running Amiga applications outside of UAE.
    MorphOS would run on one core, leaving the rest for the SMP OS.

For running legacy Amiga and MorphOS applications, this would be ideal.

And the SMP capable OS would be a great stepping stone to a 64 bit OS on a new ISA.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »16.06.14 - 13:32