MorphOS counter.
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Andreas_Wolf,
    Quote:

I think it already is :-)

I'm satisfied with the current state of things.
    The last thing I need is another X86 option.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »20.07.13 - 15:32
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Jim

MorphOS will still be there for those who wants Amiga compatability. But the PPC market is almost dead, and it will be surely dead within a couple of years. So MorphOS 3.x would then be like the classic Amiga: it will still be there as long as the hardware works.

But I also think a lot of NG users have a different view of what they want to do with their Amigas. Classic owners wants to play with "the real thing" and use WB 3.1 software. A lot of NG users however wants a modern Amiga-like OS that can compete with other modern OS:es. In the mid 90's PPC seemed to be the future. Sadly, it wasn't. So I think (I also speak from a personal view) plenty enough NG users are prepared to ditch Amiga compatability and let MorphOS (or AOS4 and AROS for that matter) stand on it's own legs. And that would enable the next OS to have all those things we can't have because of compatability with classic Amiga. Like SMP and multicores. And more importantly: new, cheap hardware!

I simply want to be able to live without Windows, MacOS and Linux also in the future. I want an Amiga like system. And it's because it's a much much better user experience!

I hereby pledge to buy the next MorphOS system without Amiga compatability. Provided that it's not based on dead end hardware or cost 500$.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »20.07.13 - 16:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Yasu,
    Quote:

And more importantly: new, cheap hardware!

There never will be cheap new hardware for MorphOS or any other Amiganoid OS on x86. 99% of the available hardware is not available anymore within 6 month.

AROS is doing that for years without any progress. The MorphOS Team for sure will not do the same mistake.

We already proved that taking second hand Apple hardware works very well, so if MorphOS would go x86, then in my opinion Apple devices are first choice, because they are available in numbers and easy to obtain.

Geit

[ Edited by geit 22.07.2013 - 00:25 ]
  • »20.07.13 - 17:13
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    @Geit

Ugh! More Apple hardware.
    I can see the logic in using a standardized platform.
    But Apple's peculiar design elements get on my nerves.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »20.07.13 - 17:30
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    It doesn't have to be Apple, as long as there is some standard that easily available. I don't really care who puts the machine together in the end as long as the components are good enough. And I don't care if the hardware is 6 months old. I just don't want to have to satisfy forever with HW that's just getting older and older.

My MorphOS blog
  • »20.07.13 - 18:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    geit,
    You may also consider Lenovo. There are really many ppl who massively dislike Apple. And Lenovo has a good reputation and support and their business laptops are not that kink of products that get replaced every 2nd week.

But the main thing is doing the switch next. It's time to enter the next level. Will be a huge effort, but will be cool.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »20.07.13 - 22:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

geit wrote:

We already proved that taking second hand Apple hardware works very well, so if MorphOS would go x86, then only on Apple devices, because they are available in numbers and easy to obtain.

Geit

I completely agree. This would be a reasonable and realistic approach! I really think the MorphOS Team should go for this! :-)

And BTW:
    http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

;-)

I know that some people might disagree on this, but IMHO this new piece of HW represents *everything* I currently want and need when it comes to desktop hardware! Everything! It's the state of the art, both in design, features, and in performance! MorphOS "NG" on this? Yes! :-)

Yes I realize that this probably won't be the first x86 mac to be supported, but who knows, maybe someday...? ;-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »21.07.13 - 01:05
    hooligan
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    geit,
    You may also consider Lenovo. There are really many ppl who massively dislike Apple. And Lenovo has a good reputation and support and their business laptops are not that kink of products that get replaced every 2nd week.

But the main thing is doing the switch next. It's time to enter the next level. Will be a huge effort, but will be cool.

Yeah thanks but no. My 5-6 years old desktop workstation from Dell was replaced with expensive Lenovo laptop and it KILLED efficiency at work. I even asked not get one one weeks before the exchange but was told everyone needs to have the same hardware. One of the worst decisions in our IT-department ever. I will never get Lenovo that's for sure.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »21.07.13 - 01:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ausPPC
    There's a book called Accidental Empires with a passage about an early (& failed) OS for the original IBM pc - p/dos. The 'p' was for pseudo. Programs for it were intended to be some kind of byte code for a non-existent cpu. Had the concept succeeded the underlying hardware would have been irrelevant. My point being, getting away from hardware dependance could be good for MorphOS.
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »21.07.13 - 02:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @ausPPC

You mean like AROS? I think that would be a nice approach too. AFAIK, MOS uses HIDD's too right? Wouldn't it make sense to open source that part, and not just be ported to ARM and x86, but also potentially get more drivers through others? Or have I misunderstood everything again? :)

My MorphOS blog
  • »21.07.13 - 11:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Programs for it were intended to be some kind of byte code for a non-existent cpu. [...]
    > My point being, getting away from hardware dependance could be good for MorphOS.

I think a bytecode approach would contradict the efficiency that MorphOS is currently known for. Thus, I'd be against it.
  • »21.07.13 - 13:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > You mean like AROS?

AROS doesn't use bytecode approach.

> AFAIK, MOS uses HIDD's too right? Wouldn't it make sense to open source that part, and not
    > just be ported to ARM and x86, but also potentially get more drivers through others? Or have
    > I misunderstood everything again? :)

Open sourcing anything shouldn't be required to write drivers. A good programming interface description should do.
  • »21.07.13 - 14:18
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _ThEcRoW
    The new Mac pro is completely ugly!!!!!!. Why anyone in his sane mind would buy one for professional work?. It lacks the expansion capabilities of the previous models, and in a professional environment, like video editing, you need cards, hdds etc... and you can't put it on that "thing". I like more the walker case that that.
    Mac Mini G4 1,4ghz 1gb ram & MorphOS 3.11
  • »21.07.13 - 14:23
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Ahem...

No new licence numbers? Anyone?
  • »21.07.13 - 15:28
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    @koszer

Where do I find those?

here.
  • »21.07.13 - 20:16
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    _ThEcRoW,
    Quote:

Back on topic please, and if you want to see just how wrong you are, take a look at the off topic thread I posted about this.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »21.07.13 - 20:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @koszer

Oh, I must be stupid not to have thought of that! :-P

My G5 is 1938 :-)

My MorphOS blog
  • »21.07.13 - 21:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > if MorphOS would go x86, then in my opinion Apple devices are first choice

"Citation of the month:
    "[...] if MorphOS would go x86, then only on Apple devices [...]." Geit on MorphZone.
    "
    http://www.meta-morphos.org/WArMUp/WArMUp-July2013.pdf

;-)
  • »23.07.13 - 01:27
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

> if MorphOS would go x86, then in my opinion Apple devices are first choice

"Citation of the month:
    "[...] if MorphOS would go x86, then only on Apple devices [...]." Geit on MorphZone.
    "
    http://www.meta-morphos.org/WArMUp/WArMUp-July2013.pdf

I refrased that afterwards for clearification.

Geit
  • »23.07.13 - 08:09
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    While it actually is a reasonable strategy to support Apple PPC devices currently, it would not be our preferred strategy to support Apple devices only if MorphOS ever goes X86 - just to put things straight.
  • »23.07.13 - 14:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > it would not be our preferred strategy to support Apple devices only
    > if MorphOS ever goes X86

Thanks for clarification of official MorphOS Team stance.
  • »23.07.13 - 14:38
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    @koszer

Oh, I must be stupid not to have thought of that

How about the date? I guess it will be something like 09.07.2013?
  • »23.07.13 - 20:50