MorphOS counter.
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    dekanyz
    I think, a headcount counter could be more interesting than this reg. counter.
  • »21.06.13 - 08:38
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I think, a headcount counter could be more interesting than this reg. counter.

This registration counter exists because the MorphOS Team inadvertently provides it. Headcount wouldn't work as there're simply no means to provide it with the current licensing model in place, even if the MorphOS Team wanted to.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=14&topic_id=5875&start=156
  • »21.06.13 - 09:28
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    redrumloa,
    Quote:

#1923 for my G5

Finally paid today after some PayPal problems, but paid echeck :-x Sucks, I'll have to wait 3-5 days for my key... :-(
  • »23.06.13 - 05:04
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    After having my system registererd for nearly a month now I am thinking I may start looking for a Powerbook and get it up and running now. That will add one more here soon. Were getting close to 2000 paid keys. Thats not bad when you consider how small of a group we are.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »23.06.13 - 16:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    After having my system registererd for nearly a month now I am thinking I may start looking for a Powerbook and get it up and running now. That will add one more here soon. Were getting close to 2000 paid keys. Thats not bad when you consider how small of a group we are.

Not that it really matters, but the counter number does not equal paid registrations, as several of the numbers are for registrations that have been donated by the MorphOS Dev. Team to programmers, or other users who have helped the team in some way, and a few of the registration numbers have been pointed out to be duplicates in some way or another. Plus, some small number could be from people who started the registration process, but for some reason, never paid for and completed the registration process.

We will most likely never know exactly how many MorphOS users there really are, but at least the counter mechanism gives us an indication of the growth trend and progress of registrations for MorphOS, which is a good thing. I guess that there are probably about 600 to 800 MorphOS users around the world, given the fact that most of our users have 2 or 3 registered MorphOS compatible systems by now. When I register my dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac tower, it will be my 6th registered system, not counting a 7th registered system that I gave away a couple of years ago during one of the AmiWest shows.

Not as many MorphOS users as there were at the height of the 1.x days when MorphOS was a free download, but at least it appears our numbers of users are on the rise at a steady pace, and the popularity of MorphOS is growing in the existing Amiga community. If the few existing MorphOS users who most often post negative, or offensive forum messages about AmigaOS4.x users and developers could stop that bad habit, we would have even more new MorphOS users in the future (but I will admit that most of the bad forum messages on other Amiga forums seem to be decreasing in number lately, so I probably should not have brought up the topic and possibly stirred the few antagonists into action).

As for your idea of now looking for a G4 PowerBook, I can only say "Go For It!!!", as it is a great way to use and enjoy MorphOS3.2. I have both the 15" and 17" models of the last G4 PowerBook's made, and I use the 15" PowerBook as my main computer, with an upgraded 360gb hard disk (which may be failing, as it has recently become very noisy). The G4 PowerBooks are great mobile computers and now that the wireless driver has been included for several CardBus NIC's with the Atheron chipset, it makes mobile MorphOS computing even easier than it was with my portable wireless Ethernet bridge (or what ever it is really called). Good luck with your search for a good G4 PowerBook, and again, welcome back to being an active MorphOS user.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »24.06.13 - 16:41
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Powerbooks are nice, but the prices on iBooks are even lower.
    I think I've got about $70 invested in mine (this reflect my purchase of a new charger and battery).
    And the battery is lasting long enough (on a charge) to watch an entire DVD.
    So far, the 32 mb of vram (on mine) has not been a serious limitation.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »24.06.13 - 17:58
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    @amigadave

Not that it really matters, but the counter number does not equal paid registrations, as several of the numbers are for registrations that have been donated by the MorphOS Dev. Team to programmers, or other users who have helped the team in some way

On the other hand there are numerous licences for MorphOS Team and betatester team, which are not covered by the counter.
  • »24.06.13 - 20:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    double post

[ Edited by Krashan 24.06.2013 - 20:21 ]
  • »24.06.13 - 20:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> the counter number does not equal paid registrations, as several of the numbers are
    >> for registrations that have been donated by the MorphOS Dev. Team to programmers,
    >> or other users who have helped the team in some way

> On the other hand there are numerous licences for MorphOS Team and betatester
    > team, which are not covered by the counter.

Do betatesters pay for their license (as this is what amigadave was relating to)? I guess MorphOS Team members don't pay so they'd be irrelevant when it comes to paid licenses.
  • »24.06.13 - 22:18
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Krashan wrote:
    @amigadave

Not that it really matters, but the counter number does not equal paid registrations, as several of the numbers are for registrations that have been donated by the MorphOS Dev. Team to programmers, or other users who have helped the team in some way

On the other hand there are numerous licences for MorphOS Team and betatester team, which are not covered by the counter.

Thanks for clarifying that point, as it has been something I have wondered about in the past, when the topic of how many MorphOS users has been debated. Your statement is the first one I have seen that clearly tells us that there are several MorphOS Dev. Team members and beta testers who are not included in the counter number.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »26.06.13 - 00:06
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Roland
    A few days ago I bought a license. Not that I will really use MorphOs because some basic requirements (I mentioned before) are not available, but for two reasons: once an amigan, always an amigan so playing around is fun and gets boring if the system slows down after 30 minutes and second: I want to support the developers because they have taken upon them selves a very respectfull job.
  • »27.06.13 - 17:17
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    I'm saving up for a second licence for my G5.

Will be quite some time though as I'm a full time carer as my wife and kids are disabled, so I can't work any more.

I've got lots of boxed Amiga software, RKM's and other Amiga hardware for sale if anyone is interested.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »27.06.13 - 17:26
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    OK, the graph has been updated.

Click here for PNG or PDF version.

I must say the reg number bump after 3.2 is a real letdown.

[ Edited by koszer 18.07.2013 - 15:41 ]
  • »18.07.13 - 14:36
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I think that some people are currently saving up for a G5 licence, and some others are waiting for 3.3 before buying one.

I also suspect that people nowadays buys already registered machines (from here for example). All of this would be good reasons for the curve not going up so drastically.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »18.07.13 - 21:13
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    I think that some people are currently saving up for a G5 licence, and some others are waiting for 3.3 before buying one.

Yeah I saw one of them.. he was sad and lonely </civilization)
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »18.07.13 - 23:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Hopefully I will be buying a license for my G5 within the next week or so God willing.

It's a shame that the 3.2 release didn't massively increase the numbers but perhaps it's to be expected. Most people who are likely to use MorphOS have probably already registered at least one machine.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

• »19.07.13 - 01:26
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Well at least its going up still and not flat or going down somehow eh? Steady users are a good thing. Were not going to see a huge number of people rush out to buy old Macs to get a $100 OS they never heard of any time soon without something drastic changing the MOS scene and going public.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »20.07.13 - 04:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > at least its going up still and not flat or going down somehow eh?

The MorphOS Team buying back licenses is a funny thought for sure :-)

> Steady users are a good thing.

These numbers are not about users. Even if every single MorphOS user stopped using MorphOS for good today it would not show in the graph.
  • »20.07.13 - 09:06
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    It's a shame that the 3.2 release didn't massively increase the numbers but perhaps it's to be expected. Most people who are likely to use MorphOS have probably already registered at least one machine.

Quote:

Acill wrote:
    Were not going to see a huge number of people rush out to buy old Macs to get a $100 OS they never heard of any time soon without something drastic changing the MOS scene and going public.

I think MorphOS has about come as far as it can on PPC, the "market" is being saturated. But I'd say that MorphOS has really made the most out of it, nobody can claim anything else. All PPC platforms that has made sense in one way or another has been supported at the same time as MorphOS' general evolution reached new heights. It has been a great strategy, the best way anyone could have played out the cards the MorphOS team had at hand (being tied to PPC), I think nobody could have done it better.

But now I look forward to MorphOS on x86 (or x64 or whatever you call it). That will rock, and also open up entirely new doors for expansion and evolution, doors that simply doesn't exist (and could never exist) where MorphOS is now!

:-)

Time for a new metamorphosis, it's time for MorphOS4! :-P

:-D

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma 20.07.2013 - 14:04 ]
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »20.07.13 - 12:58
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @takemehomegrandma

I totally agree. This is as far as we can go. The next step is to make MorphOS a much better OS software wise, supporting the existing community while preparing them and themselves for the move to a new platform (whatever that will be. But please, don't go for the looser. I'm tired of being a martyr :-) ). If the users are prepared for the move (making developers keep the source codes, maybe even having developer machines etc) then I think the transition can be quite smooth.

We will keep PPC for our Amiga purposes, until we have an emulator good enough for running in the background instead.

MorphOS can become a great OS in itself! It will probably never become a major one, but I satisfy for 10000 users worldwide. 10000 dedicated users are much better than 1 million that only cares about the latest FPS. IMHO :-)
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »20.07.13 - 13:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > MorphOS can become a great OS in itself!

I think it already is :-)
  • »20.07.13 - 13:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @Yasu

I completely agree! Many things in MorphOS is quite mature now, ready for the real world. I think there is demand (small but probably growing) of an OS that is not Linux/POSIX and is not bloated, and without Orwellistic tentacles from NSA or whatever silently creeping inside everything you use as soon as you hit a power-on button. So MorphOS Team: Cut the legacy cord, start with a new slate, make that 64-bit, SMP, memory protected OS you talked about a few years ago. I think it will find new markets, new opportunitiess, it will go where it could never go on PPC.

MorphOS 3.x could still be here, and developed in parallel for a while, but a MorphOS 4.x on x86 would be the next logical step to take now!

IMHO of course! ;-)

• »20.07.13 - 13:28
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > MorphOS can become a great OS in itself!

I think it already is :-)

For sure it is, but I think he means that it would still be a great OS without being that Amiga replacement OS that can run Amiga 68x applications seamlessly in the same memory/userspace as the the "native" OS components and applications... ;-)

And I actually agree! :-)
  • »20.07.13 - 13:32
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    @Yasu

I completely agree! Many things in MorphOS is quite mature now, ready for the real world. I think there is demand (small but probably growing) of an OS that is not Linux/POSIX and is not bloated, and without Orwellistic tentacles from NSA or whatever silently creeping inside everything you use as soon as you hit a power-on button. So MorphOS Team: Cut the legacy cord, start with a new slate, make that 64-bit, SMP, memory protected OS you talked about a few years ago. I think it will find new markets, new opportunitiess, it will go where it could never go on PPC.

MorphOS 3.x could still be here, and developed in parallel for a while, but a MorphOS 4.x on x86 would be the next logical step to take now!

IMHO of course! ;-)

I'm just looking forward to the moniker Morph OS4. ;)

• »20.07.13 - 14:37