MorphOS counter.
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Doffo
    If it's the invoice number, mine is #1557 8-) Got it today, and VERY quickly.
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »08.08.12 - 05:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    And the graph update (or at least the .pdf version) comes really quickly too :)

The line seems to be getting a bit flatter, doesn't it?

EDIT: Ah, what the hell, the .png version got updated too...

[ Edited by koszer 08.08.2012 - 18:27 ]
  • »08.08.12 - 18:22
    Kronos
    Seems pretty much the same curve as after the Mini (2.4) release.
  • »08.08.12 - 18:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @koszer,
    Quote:

The line seems to be getting a bit flatter, doesn't it?

Yes, the line is starting to flatten out (as expected). It looks very similar to the jump in registrations right after MorphOS2.4 was released for the first Mac models, when support for the G4 MacMini was introduced, but the 3.0 jump in registrations is obviously a little larger than the jump at the 2.4 release of MorphOS. (also as expected)

What puzzles me is the size and relative steepness of the small bump that occurred after support for the 1.25GHz G4 eMac was released? Can anyone remember what might have been included with that release which might have resulted in such a jump in registrations? Was there a price drop with that release? I know that at some point the price of registration was lowered from 150 Euros, to 111.11 Euros, which was the introductory price for a short period when MorphOS2.0 was first released. Or was there some other factor that could explain that small bump in registrations?

Not that it matters, but I am just curious about that small bump upward at a release for a model of Mac computers that almost NO ONE would want to own, because of it's heavy weight and bulky size, but most importantly because of it's poor video quality on the small (by today's standards) 17" CRT monitor. The fact that many of those model eMac's can be found for free, or at very low cost as they have been retired from many businesses, and schools, or training facilities. But there is no similar bump in registrations shown in the graph when MorphOS2.6 was released with support for the much more desirable and similarly easily available G4 PowerMac models.

Personally, I would have thought that there would have been a small bump up in registrations when support for the many different G4 PowerMac models was released, instead of any bump upward in registrations when support for the undesirable 1.25GHz G4 eMac was released.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »08.08.12 - 19:00
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > What puzzles me is the size and relative steepness of the small bump that
    > occurred after support for the 1.25GHz G4 eMac was released? [...] Was there
    > a price drop with that release?

Yes, as indicated by the change of background colour in the graph.
  • »08.08.12 - 19:42
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I see that now that you mention what the color changes are for, but I never saw any explanation for the color changes before (probably missed that post).

If I had looked at the graph longer and thought about it, I probably could have figured out what the color changes were for (eventually).

I am glad the MorphOS Dev. Team has lowered the price of registering license keys. It makes the decision to register much easier, specially for non-PowerBook users.
  • »08.08.12 - 20:30
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    catohagen
    bought keyfile for powerbook, number 1550
  • »08.08.12 - 20:41
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I never saw any explanation for the color changes before (probably missed that post).

It was there:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=14&topic_id=5875&start=201
  • »08.08.12 - 20:59
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

bought keyfile for powerbook, number 1550

and the date would be... something between 23rd July and 8th August?

@amigadave:

Furthermore, the second price reduction (or rather new price range) has been marked with another colour. I could add an on-graph explanation... some time in the future.

[ Edited by koszer 09.08.2012 - 17:39 ]
  • »09.08.12 - 17:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    koszer,
    Quote:

@amigadave:

Furthermore, the second price reduction (or rather new price range) has been marked with another colour. I could add an on-graph explanation... some time in the future.

No need for my benefit, but it might be helpful for others who have not read through all of the posts in this thread, or miss this post and the couple before it, a month or two from now, or for those who see this graph if I decide to enlarge a print of it to display at the Oct. AmiWest Show with my MorphOS presentation.

There are some (at least one or two) people who are against the idea of me using your graph at the AmiWest Show to represent the number of MorphOS registered computers there, as it has been pointed out in this thread that there are some license registration numbers which may not have resulted in any actual license keyfile being created and sent to anyone, as it the case of someone who starts the registration process, but never completes it by sending in the money to receive their keyfile.

Personally, I don't think there are more than a handful of registration numbers like that, which do not have keyfiles sent out to someone. I believe that the registration numbers reported in this thread are a fairly accurate count of the actual number of computers that are running MorphOS2.x, or 3.x.

My personal prediction of how many MorphOS users there are is still only somewhere around 500 to 750, as I believe that most MorphOS users have 2 to 3 registered MorphOS computers, and the number of MorphOS users with only 1 registered MorphOS computer is probably equal to, or less than, the number of MorphOS users who have 3 or more registered MorphOS computers.

To ease anyone's concerns, I will not be using this graph to try to convince anyone that this is the absolute number of actual registered MorphOS computers out in the wild, but just as a general indication of the current and past registration patterns.
  • »10.08.12 - 02:04
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > it has been pointed out in this thread that there are some license registration
    > numbers which may not have resulted in any actual license keyfile being created
    > and sent to anyone, as it the case of someone who starts the registration process,
    > but never completes it by sending in the money to receive their keyfile.

Add to them the users who have/had their paid keyfile transferred from a broken machine to another machine for free.
  • »10.08.12 - 02:25
    Kronos
    1573 just in :-P
  • »25.08.12 - 23:12
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Add to them the users who have/had their paid keyfile transferred from a broken machine to another machine for free.

We don't want to forget the 3 to 5 users who have turned their licenses for broken computers into keyfiles for replacement computers.

Even if it is more like 20 broken computers that have been converted to new registration numbers, and even if there are another 20 people who have started the registration process, but decided not to pay for it and never got a license keyfile, the number of MorphOS computers out there is still over 1,500 machines, probably being used by about 550 to 750 MorphOS users and developers.

That is an improvement over the approx. 400 to 475 MorphOS users that registered the first MorphOS computers shortly after MorphOS2.0 was released.

Damn shame there are not at least double or triple that number of MorphOS3.1 users, considering how excellent MorphOS3.1 is at being a Next Gen Amiga system.
  • »26.08.12 - 01:03
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    #1611 for my Powerbook :)
  • »29.09.12 - 11:34
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Here (and here, for .pdf fans) you are. Thanks.
  • »30.09.12 - 20:08
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    pan1k
    #1628 for my powerbook!
    MacMini 1.5Ghz / Amiga 4000T Cyberstorm 060, 132MB RAM, Cybervision 64/3D, XSurf-III, MP3@64, Buddha Flash / Amiga 1200 GVP 030, Subway USB, 32MB RAM
  • »09.10.12 - 16:33
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Fraggle
    #1613 for my Powerbook.

That`s the invoice number anyway.
    Fraggle
  • »09.10.12 - 17:33
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Thanks guys. Now, pan1k and Fraggle, I need the date too (the graph has two axes, you know... :)
  • »11.10.12 - 07:30
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    I think I got #1632 last night for a MDD, though I am still waiting for the keyfile to be emailed.
  • »11.10.12 - 12:58
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    pan1k
    I ordered mine on Monday October 8th. Got the keyfile quickly too!
    MacMini 1.5Ghz / Amiga 4000T Cyberstorm 060, 132MB RAM, Cybervision 64/3D, XSurf-III, MP3@64, Buddha Flash / Amiga 1200 GVP 030, Subway USB, 32MB RAM
  • »11.10.12 - 17:22
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Yup got my key! :banana:

1632 was in the address bar so I must have #1632!
  • »11.10.12 - 22:29
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Fraggle
    @koszer

Oh yeah, the date!

#1613 on 28/09/2012
    Fraggle
  • »12.10.12 - 16:21
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Papiosaur wrote:,
    Quote:

yesterday, #1630 for my eMac 1,42 GHz :-)

Ugh! Those G4 eMac's are so big and heavy! They make a good MorphOS3.1 computer though, if you can find one at a good price. Some people might get lucky and find one for free, but unfortunately there are a bunch of idiots buying pallets of them here in the USA for only a few dollars each, and trying to resell them for $200 to $400 each on eBay. I hope they end up having to eventually give them away and lose money on all of their auction attempts. The greed of some people is really starting to bother me as I get older and see it more clearly than I did when I was too busy working and trying to climb to the top of my profession.

What a disappointment it was after I got to the top spot and saw what it was really like at the top of the mountain, and realized that all of that hard work to get there was mostly for nothing, except a bigger paycheck, and being closer to more people running other departments, that had no morals, or integrity, and had way too much power, which they did not deserve.
  • »12.10.12 - 17:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    Tomorrow, i open it and i see if i could put an LCD and new harddisk.

i bought it 100 euros (160 Go harddisk and 1 Go of memory).

[EDIT] i have found this:

http://www.ierna.com/blog/emac-lcd-conversion

[ Edité par Papiosaur 12.10.2012 - 19:48 ]
  • »12.10.12 - 19:21
    Profile Visit Website