MorphOS ATAPI driver problem
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    Because of my problems of getting FryingPan (also discussed in this thread)
    to work on my Mac Mini, I did contact the author of FryingPan to find out why.
    He thinks this is caused by a malfunction in the MorphOS atapi driver, and must be adresses by the MOS developers.

The reply from Tomasz Wiszkowski is quoted below.
    (ps, Ive done the test he asked med to do, and MakeCD fails to)

Hello,

yes, i know there is a problem with Mac Mini, but i am sorry to inform you, that you are directing this question to the wrong person.
    quite recently (about 2 months ago) i was investigating issues related to disc recording on mac mini and we figured that the atapi driver on this machine is malfunctioning (cdrom kept returning information that pointed out to - most likely - dma problems).

now to figure out whether or not this problem could be related to the driver and/or your cdrom being on the same channel as hdd, i would need you to do one test for me. please obtain a copy of makecd and try to record a disc with it. if it goes nice, then i we can try to figure out what exactly goes wrong with fryingpan. if it fails, too, you will have to raise your question to morphos developers responsible for maintaining atapi driver (unfortunately i have no idea who that might be).

i'm sorry i didn't help you much, but to this point the only issues that were reported to me were morphos specific (i.e. no application was able to record a disc).

please let me know your test results (if you plan to conduct one). thanks!
    tomasz.
    --
    Tomasz Wiszkowski
  • »27.06.10 - 19:58
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    MakeCD works just fine here (stock install of MorphOS 2.5, latest MakeCD with all updates installed). The MorphOS-2.5.iso was located on a Work partition (not Ram Disk).

Hardware: Mac Mini G4 1.5GHz (64MB VMEM)
    Optical drive: MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-845 D8PB (original drive)

makecd-macmini1.png
    makecd-macmini2.png
    makecd-macmini3.png

Are you sure the drive is ok? Does it work under Mac OS X?

[ Edited by Piru on 2010/6/28 0:47 ]
  • »27.06.10 - 21:39
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Unless if someone can provide a reproducible way to make MakeCD fail I'm going to disregard this bug report.

[ Edited by Piru on 2010/6/28 10:11 ]
  • »28.06.10 - 06:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    This is also a 1.5Ghz with 64MB VMEM, 512MB RAM.
    My drive is the Pioner DVD-RW DVR-K05. Could it be just this drive that is not supported?

The ISO I have been trying to burn is the MOS2.5 iso. It burns fine from MacOSX, but both FryingPan and MakeCD does fail. If it makes any difference, I also had the same problems before upgrading to MOS2.5.

Looking at the reply I got from Tomasz, it seems like I'm not the first to have similar problems on the Mac Mini.
  • »28.06.10 - 07:22
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    I'll attach some images to show info of my drive and the errors.
    btw: I notice that the drive info in FryingPan shows only Mode2, XA, CD-Audio and not Mode1. Is that normal?

Drive info
    FryingPan error
    MakeCD error
  • »28.06.10 - 08:01
  • Just looking around
    Error
    Piru,

according to the logs I was provided recently, the burning process does not even begin.
    all we can see is (1) laser power calibration done correctly, (2) the very first write to disc ends abnormally with 04/1b/00: synchronous data transfer error, (3) sync cache completed correctly.

i couldn't find much about this error code, but so far mac mini is the only device that reports it, and this issue is 100% reproducible on a number of machines; writing simply does not even begin.

if there was a way to work it around in burning software i think we'd already have that implemented, but the source of this problem is beneath the application layer, and the only thing google mentions about 04/1b/00 is dma problem.

I'll be happy to provide you logs covering example transaction with mac mini drive if you wish to see them;

tomek

ps. just popped to my mind. is there a chance logical and physical addresses do not match on morphos (say - new mos utilize virtual address spaces), or is there a hardware limitation for memory addresses beyond which the dma cannot reach on this machine? that would help a lot..
  • »28.06.10 - 08:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

amyren wrote:

My drive is the Pioner DVD-RW DVR-K05. Could it be just this drive that is not supported?

Does it work under MacOS X?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »28.06.10 - 09:27
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Crumb
    I?have been using MakeCD without problems on a Mac Mini G4 1.5Ghz with a Matshita cd-rw 8124 DACD.
  • »28.06.10 - 09:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

amyren wrote:

Does it work under MacOS X?

Yes it works under MacOS X. I have burnt both CD and DVD iso's under OSX.
  • »28.06.10 - 10:42
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    insurgent
    I'm not sure if this is of any use... here's my experience.

I have Mac Mini 1.5GHz 64MB VRAM with Matshita DVD-R (UJ-845 version D8PB) SuperDrive. The drive is configured as ide.device unit 1 and hard drive is unit 0.

I have registered version of FryingPan 1.3.2 and it is working perfectly fine on MorphOS 2.5. I'm able to burn ISO images or just plain data on CDs. I have not yet tried buring audio tracks or DVDs.

Please note that I did experience an instance of strange behaviour in MOS 2.4, as described in Stuck screen mode and strange Ambient behaviour thread BUT was unable to repeat the same in 2.5. I'm not sure if that was only a fluke/glitch, was I doing something incorrect in FryingPan, or if that was a real bug ironed out in the newer MOS release.

I have also tried to use unregister MakeCD 3.2 beta but I couldn't figure out what driver to use. I have used CDR_Panasonic (my understanding is these are same) but got error messages reported along the lines of the drive not recognising commands. Can someone who has Matshita DVD burner suggest what settings to use with MakeCD?
    Registered MOS 2.7 + Pack Ultimate 1.6.2 running on:
    Power Mac G4 FW800 1.42GHz 2GB / Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB / SB Live! / NEC USB 2.0 / SuperDrive
    Mac Mini G4 1.5GHz 1GB / 64MB VRAM / SuperDrive
    Dell UltraSharp 2407WFP 1920x1200
    PowerBook G4 ready :-)
  • »28.06.10 - 12:42
    Golem
    Quote:

insurgent wrote:
    I have also tried to use unregister MakeCD 3.2 beta but I couldn't figure out what driver to use. I have used CDR_Panasonic (my understanding is these are same) but got error messages reported along the lines of the drive not recognising commands. Can someone who has Matshita DVD burner suggest what settings to use with MakeCD?

From the MakeCD docs:
    Quote:

For CD writers the CDR_SCSI3_ATAPI.driver is usually the right choice if it is a modern (MMC compatible) SCSI drive or ATAPI drive.

That was written in '98, so any drive you're likely to encounter should work with the CDR_SCSI3_ATAPI.driver.
  • »28.06.10 - 12:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    Quote:

insurgent wrote:
    I have also tried to use unregister MakeCD 3.2 beta but....

A bit of topic maybe, but the latest MakeCD 3.2d beta 12 is free and dont need registration. Look at the MakeCD support page for info and download, http://www.estamos.de/makecd/
  • »28.06.10 - 13:02
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    MaaG
    Quote:

by amyren on 2010/6/28 10:01:48

I'll attach some images to show info of my drive and the errors.
    btw: I notice that the drive info in FryingPan shows only Mode2, XA, CD-Audio and not Mode1. Is that normal?

Hi
    On my macmini's i have the same dvd-drive. And have exactly the same problem too :(.
    Drive is ok, becouse on MacOS i can write every cd/dvd disks...
  • »28.06.10 - 21:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • DrB
  • Just looking around
    DrB
    I ran in the exactly same problem two month ago, see here (german forum). I thought the problem is related to MakeCD, so I've not opened a MorphOS support request. In the meantime I've replaced the pioneer with a Matshita UJ-875 (which works perfecly).
  • »28.06.10 - 22:44
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    Quote:

Piru wrote:
    Unless if someone can provide a reproducible way to make MakeCD fail I'm going to disregard this bug report.

[ Edited by Piru on 2010/6/28 10:11 ]

Now two others with the same drive also stated they had problems. Is there a chance that this will be looked into, or is the bug reports still disregarded?
  • »29.06.10 - 20:58
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Well, at least issues related to problems with certain drives are currently looked into.

It is however hard to predict if we'll even be able to reproduce all the issues, not to mention fixing them.

We'll try our best, obviously.

[ Edited by Piru on 2010/6/30 0:21 ]
  • »29.06.10 - 21:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    Thanks.
    If it makes any difference, I can tell I now have flashed the drive with the 1.03 firmware to try if it made any difference. I did not help for these problems.
  • »30.06.10 - 06:48
  • DrB
  • Just looking around
    DrB
    Any news regarding this issue?
  • »20.08.10 - 19:49
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Mabo
    I have the same problems on the same mac mini on UJ-845

On MorphOs 2.7 and Frying Pan 1.3.2 (unlocked version) the problem still remain :-(

I hope in BurnIt 3.0
  • »16.10.11 - 13:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I hope in BurnIt 3.0

I'm afraid this hope of yours is futile. According to what has been revealed by the MorphOS Team so far, the CD burning application that will be included with MorphOS 3.0 isn't BurnIt:

"There will be a builtin CD/DVD recording tool named Jalapeno."
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=8022&start=46

Interesting note on the failed history of BurnIt3:

"Neko [...] did not remove keyfiles and instalalled registered software - and then shipped ODWs out to the developer program - this lead to the whole Burn it debacle (as there was a full beta version on odw that was used to show corporate clients/partners)"
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=5724&start=31
  • »16.10.11 - 16:36