DVD burning block hard disk access
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dake
    When I burn a DVD with Fryingpan on my Mac mini, at the end of burning process (I suppose hes writing the TOC or something) I tried to browse in Ambient and start programs, nothing happens until the burn process is finished, then all programs starts.
    If I do the same on my PegasosII I dont have this behaviour, I suppose its because i have the burner on one IDE channel and HD on the other.
    But is this behaviour normal on Mac mini? with hard disk access totally blocked?
  • »10.01.10 - 10:54
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    On Mac mini, CD/DVD and HD share the same ide bus as master and slave device. It probably requires a modification of Frying pan to avoid the mentioned behaviour. If the long term commands that are sent by Frying pan to finalize the disc are not launched with the immediate flag (to return right away) set, the bus will be busy as long as the command doesnt return.
    I think that there is nothing that can be done about this as long as the application doesnt change it's behaviour.
  • »10.01.10 - 12:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dake
    @pega-1
    Thanks for your info
  • »10.01.10 - 13:03
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    xyphoid
    out of curiosity, what type of were you burning? I had a thread up on burning avi to dvd, but didn't get a readable dvd in players.
    link https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6676&forum=3#68133
  • »10.01.10 - 14:03
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dake
    I only burnt a normal data DVD.

[ Edited by dake on 2010/1/10 19:48 ]
  • »10.01.10 - 18:44
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    I cant get FryingPan to burn a CD at all here on my Mac Mini.
    before it starts burning to the disk, I get this message shortly after pressing the Write button.
    "Error during write
    Command failed. Disk cannot be written to while transfering sectors from 2303F1FC"

As I read in this thread, there is a problem with FryingPan and access to data on the same bus. To avoid HDD access during writing I did try to put the iso file and the FryingPan program itself to the Ram Disk, but I still get that message when trying to burn.
    It seems the only operation I can do succesfully to the CD, is to erase a CDRW disk.
    Just for testing, I did burn the same Iso file to the same CDRW disk from the OSX side.

Is there a solution for this, or a different program that would burn ISO files?
  • »26.06.10 - 16:37
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Is there [...] a different program that would burn ISO files?

http://www.estamos.de/makecd/
    http://makecd.marsrakete.de
  • »26.06.10 - 23:34
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    Thanks for the tip, but I forgot to mention I already tried MakeCD it and failed to write.
    Have anyone got it to work with the Mac Mini?
    I think mine have the superdrive model, its a Pioner DVD-RW unit (DVR-K05 Q518). I cant see any Pioner drives listed in the compatibility list on the MakeCD support page. From what I read on the support docs, you might have luck with drives not listed, by using the CDR_SCSI3_ATAPI driver. But in my case it doesnt seem to work. Apearently I can erase a rewritable using this driver, but not write an image file. I only get a communication error message when trying to write.

Also I just tried the BurnIT demo as found on aminet, with the latest available drivers. It does have a Pioner driver, but only for CD-Rom and not CDR. I get the message that my CDR drive is known but not supported, and it pops up a list and suggest I choose another driver for test. I tried a few, but no success.

Maybe the problem a driver issue, even for FryingPan.
    Is there anyone with Mac Mini, with the same 'superdrive' model as mentioned above, and have gotten it to work?
  • »27.06.10 - 11:30
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    @amyren
    Quote:

Thanks for the tip, but I forgot to mention I already tried MakeCD it and failed to write.

Yes.

See the other thread.
  • »28.06.10 - 06:52
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    Quote:

Piru wrote:
    @amyren
    Quote:

Yes.

See the other thread.

Thanks for the reply, I noticed that in the other thread.
    Since both you and the other user in that thread have Matshita drives, I start wondering if it could be something with the Pioneer drive.

To be more specific, did anybody with the Pioner DVD-RW DVR-K05 drive get it working?
  • »28.06.10 - 10:53