MorphOS for PowerMAC G4 support coming
  • Just looking around
    MorphOS_Team
    If it's using an ati radeon 9000 gfxcard it might work. Only problem might be ethernet.
  • »30.11.09 - 14:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    stephen_robinson
    Nice descriptions of the different Powermacs, here:-

http://lowendmac.com/ppc/index.shtml

I got dual 533 digital Audio one I picked up for about ?35 including postage, I'll see if it works with MorphOS.

Powerbook or G4 ibook next please.

edited to add, just checked, after a bit of trouble getting it to start, nVidia GeForce2 MX, well nice idea while it lasted..

[ Edited by stephen_robinson on 2009/11/30 16:37 ]
  • »30.11.09 - 15:36
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ruud
    This is good news! A wider choice of hardware can only be a good thing.

I was looking at the specs and the only Powermac I'd have over my 1.5Ghz mini is the 1.42Ghz MDD model. Sure you can get a faster G4 (3rd party) for the "Quicksilver" but the bus is slower and it takes PC133 ram rather than DDR.

[EDIT] The Sonnet online store says it has a 1.8Ghz dual CPU upgrade for the MDD Powermac in stock - it's only $599.95! :-o

[ Edited by Ruud on 2009/11/30 18:02 ]
    "We live, we die, we laugh, we cry"
  • »30.11.09 - 17:53
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    OK, with this style Mac (Power Mac G4 MDD) you definitely have my attention!

Quick research shows single and dual 1.25ghz cpu's. I also see 2*1.42ghz varieties. What will Morph specifically support in these regards?

I am assuming that we do not use supplied video and instead use a Morph supported card?

Looks like 4*PCI available. This surely opens up the expansion path a bit. Also looks like 4xAGP slot available so decent video possible? I think with this PCI expansion ability, the benefit of developing drivers for a variety of PCI cards should be a more attractive option.

USB 1.1 is a limitation in my opinion.

regarding ram.... looks like we have up to 2gb here. Morph able to see all of it?

I pondered on a Mini but this would be a better road depending on how Morph supported the hardware aspects of this G4 machine.
  • »30.11.09 - 18:53
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

Highly doubtful AFAIK, especially not in a way you would refer to as true SMP.

Are you saying me that the "AMP" would be very welcomed?

And it will be milestone for MorphOS.

Krashan talking a bit here
  • »30.11.09 - 19:19
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I am assuming that we do not use supplied video and instead use a
    > Morph supported card?

The supplied Radeon 9000 is a MorphOS supported card.

> looks like 4xAGP slot available so decent video possible?

Depends on what "decent" means for you. I doubt it can get any more decent than with Pegasos, as AGP version (as opposed to speed) is the same.

> regarding ram.... looks like we have up to 2gb here.
    > Morph able to see all of it?

Max is 1.5 GiB for MorphOS.
  • »30.11.09 - 19:55
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    CLS2086
    CongratulationS !
    Keep the Faith !
    VG 5000/A1000/500/500+/600/2000/1200PPC-GREX/1200PPC-ATEO/1200+1230-IVFPUSCSI/CD32/Pegasos 1 April1 G3/Pegasos 2 G4/ Ahtlon/K6-3/various funny machines too :-)
    Maybe one day a G4 AmigaONE when they will be debugged and without April...
  • »30.11.09 - 20:13
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    That's awesome news! More supported machines might give our community more users, especially that PowerMacs are very cheap.

MorphOS Team: I think it's time to update help section in your site :)
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »30.11.09 - 20:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Besides AGP port there is no AGP interface in Pegasos. Latest PowerMac should be noticable faster than Pegasos (and cheaper! :) )
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »30.11.09 - 21:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Rodomoc wrote:

USB 1.1 is a limitation in my opinion.

Sure, inbuild would be nicer, but get an usb 2.0 card then. They are cheap and work nicely. Just as with the Pegasos.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »30.11.09 - 21:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Regarding AGP video, it would appear that AGPx4 cards in Radeon 9250 would be best bet according to Morph hardware compatibility list. While 9250 not specifically on that list, I use this card on my Efika without issues (although I believe Efika runs at slower speed). So I have to believe that this card running at true 4X in the new Mac would run faster. This would really increase the video performance gap between Morph and that other PPC OS alternative.

1.5GB Ram a great deal. So here is my next question, I am assuming that the new Mac machine needs to be populated with the full 2GB in order to get 1.5GB available to Morph. No big deal....

The more I think about Morph supporting this new Mac, the more I like it. It is probably the best solution since the Pegasus and a better one at that. I was never a lucky Peg owner. Got into the game too late.

I read through Krashons former posts regarding multiple cores. A very interesting read. So from what I gather, the 2nd core would essentially be unused unless someone writes an application that somehow does it. I understand that utilizing multi-core within Morph OS itself would be a large undertaking. This is all OK with me and not a limitation. I have a 400mhz Efika with limited hardware-terrible expandability and am looking to upgrade into a 1.42Ghz Mac with lots of features and good expandability. I could care less about multi-core support at this time.

I see mention of various 3rd party accelerators for these new Macs. All I can say is be careful that Morph sees them properly. In addition, say you had a 2*1.42Ghz machine and wanted to go to 2*1.8Ghz.... awefully pricey for a small gain and only in one usable CPU.

I surely look forward to a MorphOS release in this new hardware. This would almost seal the deal as far as my transformation from 68K.
  • »30.11.09 - 21:26
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    I wasn't aware any USB cards were supported in Morph. If they are, then this is very encouraging indeed. I do happen to have a Mac PCI card sitting in a 7600 machine that has 4 usb2 high speed ports.

please advise on PCI USB card support in Morph.
  • »30.11.09 - 21:28
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Rodomoc wrote:
    I have a 400mhz Efika with limited hardware-terrible expandability and am looking to upgrade into a 1.42Ghz Mac with lots of features and good expandability.

And being an Efika use myself can asure you one thing: You will be literally blown away by that overwhelming and unbelieveable speed. There is this kind of funny-nasty smile in my face since early October and it refuses to get less...
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »30.11.09 - 21:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly

And being an Efika use myself can asure you one thing: You will be literally blown away by that overwhelming and unbelieveable speed. There is this kind of funny-nasty smile in my face since early October and it refuses to get less...

This is just about the best customer review I have heard in a very long time! especially the funny-nasty smile bit.
  • »30.11.09 - 21:47

•