MorphOS for PowerMAC G4 support coming
  • Just looking around
    paradoxportal
    But say you already had a pegasos II and already had MorphOS once can you get your old licence back so you dont have to pay more money?

Can we in effect get our old licences back?

regards

[ Edited by paradoxportal on 2009/12/17 19:26 ]
  • »17.12.09 - 19:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    @ paradoxportal

Quote:

But say you already had a pegasos II and already had MorphOS once can you get your old licence back so you dont have to pay more money?

If you own a PegasosII and would like to upgrade to a Mac Mini, you are free to sell your PegasosII *including your existing MorphOS 2.x license* at a higher price than you would get if it did not include a MorphOS 2.x license.

Quote:

Can we in effect get our old licences back?

Past and current users of MorphOS 1.x are not eligible for a free upgrade to MorphOS 2.x. Also, owners of Pegasos2 mainboards do not receive a free keyfile for MorphOS 2.x either. If you did purchase a MorphOS 2.x keyfile at some point, see what I wrote above.
  • »17.12.09 - 19:36
  • Just looking around
    paradoxportal
    Ok,

So if we purchase the new MOS2 Keyfile can we use it on multiple machines?

I think this would be great as there are alot of discount G4 Powermacs on eBay to use :-P

Para :-)

[ Edited by paradoxportal on 2009/12/17 21:47 ]
  • »17.12.09 - 21:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

So if we purchase the new MOS2 Keyfile can we use it on multiple machines?

No, a key is generated for a single machine and can only be replaced if the said machine breaks down.
  • »18.12.09 - 08:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    My bad, I was confusing the OpenSource MPC8610 mainboard which the other post had said was not released yet.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »18.12.09 - 08:03
  • Just looking around
    paradoxportal
    So how much is it for a Keyfile for mos2 then for each computer?

I think they should allow 4 computers atleast on one licence

I think one would say this is the main factor to be taken into considerationwhen buying an old mac for MOS.

Regards..

[ Edited by paradoxportal on 2009/12/18 8:08 ]
  • »18.12.09 - 08:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

I think they should allow 4 computers atleast on one licence

If you can afford multiple computers, surely you can afford multiple licenses too, don't you ?
  • »18.12.09 - 11:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • deb
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    deb
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    In the rich man's world
    Money, money, money
    Always sunny
    In the rich man's world
    Aha-ahaaa
    All the things I could do
    If I had a little money
    It's a rich man's world

:-)
  • »18.12.09 - 11:25
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

If you can afford multiple computers, surely you can afford multiple licenses too, don't you ?

How's that 4-license pack for 400 € offer going? :-D

(me ducks)
  • »18.12.09 - 11:29
  • Just looking around
    paradoxportal
    Not at all infact I dont believe in money 8-)

You can get Powermac G4's for like 30 GBP but purchasing a code to use MOS2 on each one is ridiculous haha

If they allow 4 computers I might get one until then........

Para
  • »18.12.09 - 11:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @paradoxportal,

Can you legally buy one copy of Windows, or MacOSX and install and use it on 4 PC's or Mac computers (legally)? No! Why would you expect to buy one copy of MorphOS and be able to use it on 4 PowerMac computers or any other computers?

Just because the license copy protection is more effective and implemented differently than any other OS, it does not make it wrong or different in it's purpose, which is to prevent pirating of their hard work.

And just because you can buy used Apple hardware cheaply, that fact has no bearing or effect on what the price of a MorphOS license should be. It does not make the OS worth less just because the developers were smart enough to port MorphOS to cheap and powerful used hardware that is widely available.

[ Edited by amigadave on 2009/12/19 11:04 ]
  • »19.12.09 - 19:03
  • ASiegel
    @ amigadave

Actually, David, Apple and Microsoft offer special 'family packs' that allow private buyers to install MacOS and Windows on multiple machines (5 and 3, I believe) as long as they are part of the same household.

With regard to MorphOS, it is more likely that development is stopped and everybody gets a free key than this being implemented, however. The current licensing scheme was chosen because of its low administrative overhead. 'One price for all' is really as simple as it gets.
  • »19.12.09 - 19:12
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    stephen_robinson
    @amigadave

I bought a family pack of Leopard with iWorks and iLife, that's 5 licenses for 5 computers for less that one MorphOS keyfile.

I did have to shop around a bit, but...

[ Edited by stephen_robinson on 2009/12/19 20:06 ]
  • »19.12.09 - 20:05
  • Just looking around
    paradoxportal
    see!

actually with a normal vista pack you can install on 4 computers ask microsoft!

any morphOS should be free as its bounty based.

Regards
  • »21.12.09 - 20:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    "bounty based"? You just made my day, mate... Yes, there do exist some bounties (too few, I think) here and there, but I wouldn't dare to say that MorphOS is more "bounty based" than i.e. OS4.x.
  • »21.12.09 - 20:27
    Golem
    @paradoxportal

You seem somewhat confused, you may want to do a little fact checking, but why don't you share with us what you would do with MorphOS on four computers?
  • »21.12.09 - 20:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    paradoxportal
    You should pay *one* fee and install it on anything that becomes availble for and get updates

hehe love the aphex twin avatar 8-)

I WANT YOUR SOUL! for FREE TOO! :-D

The 6th root race came early

[ Edited by paradoxportal on 2009/12/21 23:07 ]

[ Edited by paradoxportal on 2009/12/21 23:45 ]
  • »21.12.09 - 23:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

stephen_robinson wrote:
    @amigadave

I bought a family pack of Leopard with iWorks and iLife, that's 5 licenses for 5 computers for less that one MorphOS keyfile.

I did have to shop around a bit, but...

[ Edited by stephen_robinson on 2009/12/19 20:06 ]

Yes, but was it cheaper, or the same price as the best price you could pay for just one MacOSX Leopard license? I would bet it was more.

Until the MorphOS Development Team decides to change their "One Size Fits All" pricing as ASiegel put it, the MorphOS family pack will only cost you as much as 150 euros times the number of computers you want to put it on. :lol:
  • »22.12.09 - 21:31
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    The point is, MorphOS is to much for those of us with multiple machines that want to use it. As mentioned before it's the only thing keeping myself and many others from making the purchase. When it comes out for power macs I may do it if it supports the pci slots like it was a Pegasos though. As for my mini, it's a toy and no way would I lock it to it for that kind of money.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »24.12.09 - 17:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @Acill,

I understand. The licensing scheme is not ideal for the users, but I guess it is the best fit for the Development Team, as it is one form of strong anti-piracy protection and the way it is set up, it is very low maintenance for them as most of it is automated.

Perhaps if someone could invent a better way for the team to protect their hard work to replace the method that now ties the license to the hardware, and then convince the team to use it instead, we could have a system where we could move our MorphOS license from one machine to another. In a perfect World the team would not need to protect their work from pirates, but alas, we do not live in a perfect World.

I know that many think the answer is just to lower the price, instead of trying to figure out a better license mechanism, but I don't know if or when that will ever happen and personally, I don't mind the price too much, even on my limited income. I think that we have to realize the amount of work that has gone into it and the small reward the team gets back in return, due to the tiny size of the user base. If the user base can help increase the number of users, we may be helping ourselves by giving the Development Team more incentive to lower the price.

So, I will be willing to purchase one more license for a G4 PowerMac when it is released if, as you say, it supports most of the hardware features of the PowerMac, like the PCI slots, Ethernet NIC, etc. As I have said before, I would much rather have MorphOS support the G5 PowerMac, so it could be more useful as a dual boot, or triple boot machine running MacOSX and perhaps Linux, but that will have to wait for another time, if it ever happens, so I will be happy with what we have now and not worry about what is going to happen with MorphOS in the future.
  • »25.12.09 - 06:35
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    CountRaven
    Wish to have the new version with PowerMac Support for the Christmas holidays where there is sitll enough free time to play with it :)
  • »25.12.09 - 17:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    @Amigadave the user base will never grow with the current pricing and hardware lock model. In fact I'm willing to bet it's gotten smaller in the terms of dedicated users.

I was a very dedicated user before 2.0 was released, to the point of funding my own trip to amiwest to show off 1.4 and one of the first peg 2 machines here in the west coast. I convinced several people to switch to morphos, did demos of hardware at frys electronics, an several other small electronics stores.

It took all of one hour on 2.0 to decide the new release was not worth it and the team was alienating those of us that busted our asses to help spread the word without a single thank you. So live your dream in dream land and keep shoving cash at them. Slowly the platform is going to die as those few left get fed up with it and come to realize that the few developers porting rehashed software from code older then dirt and no new ones making a showing is all they get.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »26.12.09 - 03:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    I just hope you behave the same with apple (for instance) for each of their paying updates.

You keep shoving cash at them too, and yet they never thank you for all your money. :(
  • »26.12.09 - 04:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    @thread

I read a couple of HW-related posts here.

After all PPC Apple is done, maybe there is a need that MorphOS Team is ought to control the sales of some mid-ranged PPC board?

They won't just disappear from vendors' stocks, right? I personally think it is pretty much safe, alas requires investment (but this one might come from MorphOS licenses I guess).
    Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
    Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
    Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
    Planned soon: an OS4 system
    Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)
  • »26.12.09 - 09:11