Lack of WiFi mini sucks!
Topic is Locked
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kickstart
    @silverf0x0

Yes, mos can be a amateur OS but we all know what is morphos (i think).

Yes, 150? license can be a bit expensive for only one machine, but that is know too.

But with my respect, its really borring to read only criticism about morphos, my personal opinion is that i try to use mos like my main machine, theres opinion for all i think.
  • »28.09.09 - 20:59
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Zylesea:

http://www.wirelesslan.pl/product_info.php/products_id/386

This chap is from Poland so he can get that for less than 30 quid.. That one was tested with Pegasos 2 and MorphOS by one of the polish MOS users (Arbuz).

I really don't get that moaning.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »28.09.09 - 22:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

That's right. But recently someone stated in some other thread that WPA requires work while no security option is ready but won't be included.

No driver, be it with or w/o some 'security option' is being worked on at the moment. Again: there is NO MAC MINI WIFI DRIVER.
  • »28.09.09 - 23:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    xyphoid
    @ diskdoctor
    No way Mini IS portabe. You've got 7 inch LCDs (see: netbook market), you've got DVI2S-Video adapter for a TV set (I got one). The Mini is portable, indeed, maybe not to you. It just lacks a built in screen.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    by your definition an A500, or SX32 is a portable system too :-?
    dude as stated i agree with you, but as stated the macmini is not considered portable! yes you can travel with it move it here or there, but it must be plugged in, as it isn't powered by battery, so in lieu of seeking a previous thread (1-2months ago) it was stated that the air port may not be a priority in the initial release, due to the mini not being a portable sys, which leads to think that if it is ported to to other mac products such as laptops, then a support would be warranted.

it may help to not come across negative, since we are a touchy community
  • »29.09.09 - 01:37
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

xyphoid wrote:
    @ diskdoctor
    .........it may help to not come across negative, since we are a touchy community

I wouldn't call us touchy, but probably fed up with cry babies, people that make up crap that isn't true, that don't want to spend any money and think the developers should be working on this stuff for nothing.

How many people here have given him a solution to his problem already?
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »29.09.09 - 02:00
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Amigadave: there is a simple and cheap solution in at least couple of previous posts.

And again - MOS Team is not a charity.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »29.09.09 - 13:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    silverf0x0
    [quote]Amigadave: there is a simple and cheap solution in at least couple of previous posts.

And again - MOS Team is not a charity.[/quote]

No one here it's asking for charity, maybe morphos developers will be obligated to do it one day as you can make more profits by it...
    Believe me I understad how hard it's to maintain an OS, it's obious asking money when someone it's working as any other jobs on earth, who is asking to have something for free....
    ....But again, you can't tell me which the licence key price is right, not by a OS who can't give you the opportunity to complete migrate and use it as your mainly (even second, and maybe thirth...) OS choice....
    An OS development it's a long term project which require huge investments and I had the feel which there's no money at all...
    Specially at the begin when you have to convince people, the OS alone it's not sufficient, you have to made some software as well....then users...and then thirth parties software houses will came...
    I don't see many software houses developing for this platforms and the majority of projects come from open source projects or from some self dependent guys doing code or porting...
    So, at the end it's an hybrid commercial-open source philophy, with the majority of developed software leaved at the community...
    Sometime I just ask myself is there a business plan out there?
  • »29.09.09 - 15:25
    Golem
    Do you have a business plan for your hobbies? :)
  • »29.09.09 - 16:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    silverf0x0
    When a hobbie have some potential to became a profitable activity, of course yes.....
  • »29.09.09 - 17:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

pampers wrote:
    Amigadave: there is a simple and cheap solution in at least couple of previous posts.

And again - MOS Team is not a charity.

Yes, I know that and was only asking the question rhetorically, with sarcasm intended.

@silverfox,

We have already read the debates on how much some people think the license fee should be, but it is only the Dev Team that can set that price and the buyers can only decide to pay it, or not to buy a license.

Personally, I would like to see the license fee a bit lower and think that the team might actually make more money with increased license sales, but that is only my opinion and a guess. The license fee is what it is and I am willing to pay it for now. I will pay the fee for the next release to be run on my 1.5GHz G4 PPC MacMini and be glad to have MorphOS on that computer.
  • »29.09.09 - 17:09
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    silverf0x0
    ...and morphos it's not just a hobbie, it's a product selled on a market (even if a small miserable one...).
  • »29.09.09 - 17:11
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    silverf0x0
    @Amigadave:

That's what I think and that's what everyone know, the Mos-Dev can chose whatever price they want, after the market the users with buing or not decide if this price is right or not, and I didn't see any encourage number by this side, the supply-demand law should determine the price...
    I can see a nicer future with a lower price, I know it's not easy for a small company with don't have many margin for doing economies of scale as the big one...
    silverf0x0 wrote:
    ...and morphos it's not just a hobbie, it's a product selled on a market (even if a small miserable one...).
  • »29.09.09 - 17:25
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Amigadave: i know that u were sarcastic :)

150 quid it's not a small price. But it's not that bad, when you think how many licences they sold already and how much work is done.
    I'm not sure how many more licences they would sell if they would drop the price. I would prefer to pay the same price and see a little bit of advertising done to try to get some new users.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »29.09.09 - 18:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    Quote:

silverf0x0 wrote:

....But again, you can't tell me which the licence key price is right

I think the current 150 Eur is pretty honest price for such a system (see: Windows, MacOS, Linux :-), AmigaOS :-) :-)) so this issue is clear, I don't object, no one is forcing to register anyway. Lowering the price to hit more copies - another story, I suggested marketing discussion here some half a year ago. Cannot wait for one coming.

Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

No driver, be it with or w/o some 'security option' is being worked on at the moment. Again: there is NO MAC MINI WIFI DRIVER.

On this very forum I seem to have read some statement not necessarily similar made by the person whose origin was not precisely known to me. It's your fault guys that your opinions are mixed with gossips. I really have troubles in distinguishing statements from deliberations. Go write a FAQ, man!!! Unless this all policy is to keep assuring Hyperion that MOS is being developed only by random.

BTW I just managed to sell my AirPort Express not usable anymore on a local ebay so I got the expense secured :-)

Sorry folks, this all comes from the fact that I read the wifi w/o security is ready but won't be released for a security reason. At least we're having a chat, aren't we?
    Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
    Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
    Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
    Planned soon: an OS4 system
    Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)
  • »29.09.09 - 20:12
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    Quote:

pampers wrote:
    Zylesea:

http://www.wirelesslan.pl/product_info.php/products_id/386

This chap is from Poland so he can get that for less than 30 quid.. That one was tested with Pegasos 2 and MorphOS by one of the polish MOS users (Arbuz).

I really don't get that moaning.

Thanks, man! I found one much cheaper:

http://allegro.pl/item757510835_edimax_ew_7206apg_najlepszy_okazja.html

This one in even below 20 quid w/handling & shipping! When I was buying Apple AirPort I thought WiFi stations are all that expensive!

Is the MOS-ready wifi clients list any much longer? I think it might be really valuebe to compile one if Mini WiFi became a "will be announced" feature...
  • »29.09.09 - 20:45
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    DiskDoctor: damn, this one is a really cheap one. I think i will go for that.

BTW: Linux is a free system, u don't have to paid for that :)
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »29.09.09 - 21:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    Quote:

pampers wrote:
    DiskDoctor: damn, this one is a really cheap one. I think i will go for that.

BTW: Linux is a free system, u don't have to paid for that :)

Right... But then you pay with your time on fixin' it :-(
  • »29.09.09 - 21:15
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kickstart
    Quote:

silverf0x0 wrote:
    When a hobbie have some potential to became a profitable activity, of course yes.....

When this happend isnt a hobby.
  • »29.09.09 - 21:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

DiskDoctor wrote:

Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

On this very forum I seem to have read some statement not necessarily similar made by the person whose origin was not precisely known to me. It's your fault guys that your opinions are mixed with gossips. I really have troubles in distinguishing statements from deliberations. Go write a FAQ, man!!! Unless this all policy is to keep assuring Hyperion that MOS is being developed only by random.

Sorry folks, this all comes from the fact that I read the wifi w/o security is ready but won't be released for a security reason. At least we're having a chat, aren't we?

Where on this forum did you read about the wifi being done and by who? I don't remember seeing it anywhere, specially not here on this forum, but I might have missed it. Although, this site does not get that many forum posts and I think I visit here at least once or twice a day to check for new postings.

By your own admission you do not know who the person is, or weather he/she is part of the Dev Team, so what they wrote about the wifi, if they wrote what you are claiming, may have been completely false. If I were you, I would not make any assumptions about features in the next release of MorphOS unless you are SURE that the person writing about it here on these forums is part of the Dev Team.

I also don't think you should be writing that it is our fault, or that OUR opinions are mixed with gossip when it is YOU that are spreading gossip and FUD about things that you have no first hand knowledge of. That by definition is what gossip is, spreading unconfirmed information, usually something that is detrimental to another, or to a group, project, product, or company.

Please provide a link to the thread you are referring to (if you can), that talks about the wifi for the MacMini already being finished, so you can at least partially prove me wrong.

If you can't, then please stop trying to place the blame on others and start looking in the mirror.

Edit: I did a search on all the forums here for the past few weeks and all I could find regarding wifi for MorphOS on the MacMini is this quote from Pega1, who I am pretty sure is part of the Dev Team, or he is a beta tester.

Written on 9/15/2009 by Pega1:
    Quote:

Well, I think that it will be released this year still holds true :)
    Unfortunately, with the release of 2.3 many USB issues still showed up which we expected to have fixed and which didnt actually show up in our release candidate testing .....
    Actually, the mac mini core driver components are ready for quite a while now (except wifi & bluetooth - which I wouldnt really consider core, anyway) and we have a closed beta tester group for quite some time as well.

Note the sentence that states in parentheses, "except wifi & bluetooth".

[ Edited by amigadave on 2009/9/29 22:56 ]
  • »30.09.09 - 05:53
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    silverf0x0
    @Diskdoctor:
    [quote]
    I think the current 150 Eur is pretty honest price for such a system (see: Windows, MacOS, Linux :-), AmigaOS :-) :-)) [/quote]

Please explain....

@Cocon:
    [quote]Right... But then you pay with your time on fixin' it :-( [/quote]

In which era did you try to install it? Also I remeber of many issues on Morphos too...

@Caterpillar:
    [quote]When this happend isnt a hobby. [/quote]

Right, say it to Golem...
  • »30.09.09 - 07:22
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

Please provide a link to the thread you are referring to (if you can), that talks about the wifi for the MacMini already being finished, so you can at least partially prove me wrong.

Just gimme time, allright? I just moved to a new apartment and have better things to do in my life than scanning the morphzone (see: family, job, friends, studies). So be patient.

I don't spread FUDs, FUD is MorphOS Team's PR style as I see it. Sorry if I just turned out to follow it accidentally by bringing up my case.

Quote:

silverf0x0 wrote:

@Diskdoctor:
    Quote:

I think the current 150 Eur is pretty honest price for such a system (see: Windows, MacOS, Linux :-), AmigaOS :-) :-)

Please explain....

Quote:

DiskDoctor wrote:

see: Windows, MacOS, Linux :-), AmigaOS :-) :-))

It's called the market.
  • »30.09.09 - 13:45
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    I don't spread FUDs, FUD is MorphOS Team's PR style as I see it.

Your perception of reality is seriously skewed.
  • »30.09.09 - 15:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Quote:

amigadave wrote: Please provide a link to the thread you are referring to (if you can), that talks about the wifi for the MacMini already being finished, so you can at least partially prove me wrong.

Just gimme time, allright? I just moved to a new apartment and have better things to do in my life than scanning the morphzone (see: family, job, friends, studies). So be patient.

I don't spread FUDs, FUD is MorphOS Team's PR style as I see it.

So, to summarize this thread, somebody with such a busy and successful private and professional life as yourself really cannot be expected to back up claims made on the internet right away. Afterall, you barely have sufficient time to...

1. make up random stuff out of thin air,

2. insult a team of developers for being full of themselves because they would not release a non-existing driver that might save you a bit money,

3. insult the same team of developers for basing their public relations strategy on fear, uncertainty and doubt,

4. insult everyone at the MorphZone *community* website for spreading gossip and making it hard to distinguish from official statements, and to complain that noone has written a FAQ guide yet.

Quote:

Quote from the MorphOS development team website's FAQ sectiion:

Q: When will XYZ work?
    A: When it is ready. Please do not ask developers repeatedly when something is ready as it is hard to predict and is being worked on most of the time irregardless of your questions.)

Considering all of this, it seems appropiate to assist in saving some of your precious time resources by locking this discussion thread for good.
  • »30.09.09 - 15:24
Topic is Locked