MorphOS on future hardware?
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Yea I know you guys just released MOS2.x for Peg 1,2 & EFIKA..

but will MOS2 be 'ported' to run on the MPC8610 or MPC5121E ?

[ Edited by TheMagicM on 2008/7/13 10:14 ]
  • »13.07.08 - 17:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    XzIt
    who knows??

But what i do know is that we need more hardware for this "POWERHOUSE" OS.

We need more CPU power plz!
    Not *Less, Efika :-x

X
  • »13.07.08 - 17:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    I guess that the first neccesary condition is that this new hardware exists. You cannot port an operating system on planned hardware or even being in the design phase.
  • »13.07.08 - 18:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    I put really great hopes in those both systems. Of course one will have to see how availability will look like. But both, the 5121 and the 8610 are IMHO the best chances for ppc since a quite long time.
    The 5121 is really low cost and very high integrated. As we see on the Efika the e300@400 MHz actually *is* very useable. The overall performance of an 5121 board should be better than the existing Efika5200B: the AXE-unit (if supported) may help, as the integrated gfx core and the SATA controller and some usb 2.0 ports.
    The 8610 has real computing power. not as much as some current high end systems, but enough for quite a lot (HD video *is* possible - at least to an extend) at a reasonable cost and low energy consumption.
    If boards with these both chips actually are appearing it would be a shame ;-) to not support them. IMO it's the last (but best) chance for PPC on the (low end to midrange) computer market.

Also I hope for new hardware since my Pegasos turns 6 years soon and while I hope it will stay with me for some time still, you never know...

[ Edited by Zylesea on 2008/7/13 18:55 ]
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »13.07.08 - 18:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    @Krashan:

well isnt there going to be a flash plugin running on a MPC8610, so that means the hardware is out there just not mass produced just yet?
  • »13.07.08 - 20:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    @ MagicM

It's a 8610 development system. No enduser product.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »13.07.08 - 20:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Hypothetically speaking..

If/when the two motherboards are released, maybe MOS will run on it.
    (where maybe = yes ...LOL)
    Correct statement?
  • »13.07.08 - 22:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    @ TheMagicM

Quote:

If/when the two motherboards are released, maybe MOS will run on it. (where maybe = yes ...LOL) Correct statement?

As a general rule, you should not expect support for any new hardware platforms unless it was announced on www.morphos-team.com.
  • »13.07.08 - 22:39
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    @ Jobbo or MorphOS-Team are there any Plans to support any other Hardwareplatforms beside Pegasos 1/2, Efika and Classic PPC?
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »13.07.08 - 23:17
  • ASiegel
    @ ThePlayer

Quote from the Help Desk page on morphos-team.net

"There exist also development ports to the Freescale MobileGT platform and Apple's G4-based MacMini. The latter is likely to be released publically at some point in the future but no timetable is available at present."
  • »14.07.08 - 08:23
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Painkiller
    I'd like to see a PS3 port. As those machines are going to be around for a loong time. MOS would be a quite ideal OS for PS3 because it so light wieght and could work well with PS3's memory limitations.
  • »14.07.08 - 14:36
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

JoBBo wrote:

There exist also development ports to the Freescale MobileGT platform and Apple's G4-based MacMini.

Hi JoBBo. Have you considered the MPC 5121e based LimePC computers, like the Cherrypal?
  • »14.07.08 - 16:05
  • ASiegel
    @ jcmarcos

Those are still in development stage and not available for sale anywhere.
  • »14.07.08 - 16:14
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    2653616897_e94c245cdb.jpg
    Quote:

JoBBo wrote:

Those are still in development stage and not available for sale anywhere.

Understood, I expected this answer. I was only asking if these kind of computers are a target for future MorphOS versions.

Genesi is working on "a bunch of new devices", and this concept drawining from BBRV's flicker page might come first, perhaps with a MPC 8610 and ATi graphics. The MPC 8610 already has a graphics unit, and it seems quite clever, but it might be not enough for the expectations of this CPU in an end user device.

By the way, there's a first mention of MorphOS 2.0 in their latest blog.

[ Edited by jcmarcos on 2008/7/14 16:25 ]
  • »14.07.08 - 16:23
  • ASiegel
    @ jcmarcos

Unless it was specifically mentioned on www.morphos-team.net, you should not expect that a particular piece of hardware will be supported.

Given the past statements made by MorphOS developers, you should also not expect any vague guesswork to be made in public. When there is solid news to tell, you will find out.
  • »14.07.08 - 17:29
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

Unless it was specifically mentioned on www.morphos-team.net, you should not expect that a particular piece of hardware will be supported.

i didn't see any iBook or Macmini on the mos team page ;-)
  • »14.07.08 - 19:46
  • ASiegel
    @ SoundSquare

There is link to the page which mentions MorphOS on the Mac Mini in this very thread.
  • »14.07.08 - 22:42
  • Just looking around
    god64
    i am just wondering, why there is no port for the acube systems 440ep planned.

this platform is really close to the efika (except with a lot more power) and therefor porting should be a piece of cake - ok maybe not the smallest piece of cake, because i do not know which bios/firmware it is using, but as linux ppc runs on it, there would be at least a lot of sourcecode to have a look at the boot process.

this would currently the only available ppc computer still to buy and having enough power for desktop use and be pretty easy to port - at least the only i know of

aros has already been successfully booted on it, so amiga like platforms do run on it for sure
  • »16.07.08 - 10:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    @ god64

Quote:

i am just wondering, why there is no port for the acube systems 440ep planned.

Because the development resources are limited.

For comparison, a MacMini provides more performance than a PegasosII/G4 and is still widely available at fairly affordable prices. It actually provides an upgrade path for existing Pegasos owners who require superior processor performance (raytracing via Blender, etc.). Furthermore, there is a sizable amount of existing Mac Mini owners of whom some might try and even buy MorphOS.

Quote:

this platform is really close to the efika

As a reminder, without Genesi's strategic decision to pay the MorphOS development team for a port to the Efika, there would be no publically available version of MorphOS for that hardware today.

Quote:

(except with a lot more power) and therefor porting should be a piece of cake - ok maybe not the smallest piece of cake, because i do not know which bios/firmware it is using, but as linux ppc runs on it, there would be at least a lot of sourcecode to have a look at the boot process. this would currently the only available ppc computer still to buy and having enough power for desktop use and be pretty easy to port - at least the only i know of aros has already been successfully booted on it, so amiga like platforms do run on it for sure

Unless you have done similar development work before, you are likely to completely misjudge the amount of work required. The SAM 440EP and EFIKA 5200B have very little in common besides their cost-performance ratios.
  • »16.07.08 - 11:33
  • Just looking around
    god64
    Quote:

For comparison, a MacMini provides more performance than a PegasosII/G4 and is still widely available at fairly affordable prices. It actually provides an upgrade path for existing Pegasos owners who require superior processor performance (raytracing via Blender, etc.). Furthermore, there is a sizable amount of existing Mac Mini owners of whom some might try and even buy MorphOS.

but mac mini with powerpc is not buildt anymore since more than 2 years, i think it would be much wiser in commercial sense, to support current hardware, than dead hardware

Quote:

Unless you have done similar development work before, you are likely to completely misjudge the amount of work required. The SAM 440EP and EFIKA 5200B have very little in common besides their cost-performance ratios.

i did write several linux kernel drivers and have 2 digit years of cross plattform development experience, so i think i can judge the necessarry efort quite a bit. ofcourse it all depends on how much morphos was planned on cross platform use when it was designed the first place, which could be the crux of the matter.

btw: would be interessting, how much units of morphos were sold sofar, are there any numbers known?
  • »17.07.08 - 07:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

i think it would be much wiser in commercial sense, to support current hardware, than dead hardware

This "dead" hardware was produced in quantities the SAM will never be able to reach.
  • »17.07.08 - 09:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    @ god64

Quote:

but mac mini with powerpc is not buildt anymore since more than 2 years, i think it would be much wiser in commercial sense, to support current hardware, than dead hardware

Why is it relevant that it is not being built anymore? The matter of the fact is that you will still be able to buy used MacMinis 3 years from now at affordable prices. The same will likely not be true for low-volume PowerPC-based hardware products from any manufacturer other than Apple. So, once your warranty runs out after a mere two years, you are in fact better off with a MacMini than, say, a Sam EP since it will be easier to find a full replacement or indidvidual components for repair purposes.
  • »17.07.08 - 09:16
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    I agree with Andr? and Jacek about the MacMini port: It makes sense, even moreso if the port is "almost done" (ahem).

What if another PowerPC device become widely available (LimePC!) and we buy a bunch on them and sent them over to you?

And if we attach hardware docs...?

And if we attach a reasonable amount of money...?

Does the MorphOS team accept money from anyone, or it has to be a certain company?

I think I'm repeating myself too much. But it's true that MorphOS has to little hardware to live on!
  • »17.07.08 - 09:37
  • ASiegel
    @ jcmarcos

Quote:

Does the MorphOS team accept money from anyone, or it has to be a certain company?

No. :-)

Quote:

I think I'm repeating myself too much. But it's true that MorphOS has to little hardware to live on!

The developers are aware of this but there is no point in announcing ports to a gazillion platforms. Especially, while there are still known issues on the currently supported hardware systems.

One step at a time.
  • »17.07.08 - 10:03
  • Just looking around
    god64
    Quote:

This "dead" hardware was produced in quantities the SAM will never be able to reach.

because there is no morphos on it... where is the sense in hardware, that costs more than a cheapt and much faster pc if all you can run on it is linux and aros, which you can run on the cheaper and much faster pc too :-)
  • »17.07.08 - 10:40
    Profile Visit Website