|||
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

Maybe we should all just pay Sonic the billion dollars instead ;-)

..if you think it'll help. :P

- CISC
  • »13.02.08 - 12:59
  • ZB
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ZB
    Any update on this ?

What are the remaining parts to do to complete it ?

Is there a (obviously rough) estimated time to finish it ?

Anyone can try to answer this ?
    ---
    Morphing the Phoenix...
  • »30.09.08 - 11:31
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Any update on this ?

http://piru.morphos.net/~p/pics/morphos-macmini.jpg (from August 22nd)
    http://piru.morphos.net/~p/pics/morphos-macmini2.jpg (from August 27th)
  • »30.09.08 - 11:50
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Crumb
    Quote:

CountRaven wrote:
    And why someone already in Peg1/Peg2/MOS should be THAT happy with MOS
    2.0 running on a Mac Mini?... Ok it is another platform...

Well someone should make OS4 to run on Peg1/Peg2 this WOULD be the
    topic of the year, don't you think?

MorphOS running on Mac Mini provides a much better environment for any G3 user. It offers USB2, decent IDE performance, a fast G4, compact size... even Pegasos2/G4 users can see an improvement as it's much more compact and has a more powerful G4. OK, gfx card may be worse than R8500, but I can live with that.

About OS4 on Peg... it wouldn't make much sense for them now that Pegs are no longer produced. They'd better release it for Mac Mini.
  • »01.10.08 - 10:24
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Painkiller
    Quote:

SoundSquare wrote:
    interesting, but i'd like to see MorphOS running on modern hardware instead of refurbished computers.
    Too much speculation for the second hand market.

What would that hardware be? I don't see much consumer level PPC hardware being sold. PS3 would be the only thing where MOS could possibly move, but it is at its current state too restricted platform.
  • »01.10.08 - 10:33
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Painkiller wrote:

PS3 would be the only thing where MOS could possibly move

It's strange why you guys igore a third PowerPC based console that is not from Sony or Nintendo... :-)
    It has been hacked already. Of course no modern tech toy is worth any consideration if it hasn't been made run Linux.

Quote:

but it is at its current state too restricted platform.

This is the case too. One has to perform extraordinary things to make one of these consoles run a different operating system. Most of those things depend on having a certain, perhaps no longer available, firmware version. Sony got its medal for allowing splicitly a "other OS" option in the PS3, but forbidding real hardware access, which is pathetic. Yes, you can gain it... playing the kludge way again.

Porting MorphOS to certain models of Mac is possible, ongoing even, and sensible. That's why MorphOS team is doing it, because they are programmers, and logic drives their efforts.
  • »01.10.08 - 11:55
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Painkiller
    X360 really hasn't got a usable hack. It is way too hard for common people to hack it and modders are asking high prices on it as it is a very time consuming process.

+

X360 tends to RROD every now and then ;)
  • »01.10.08 - 12:06
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

What is the point of having MOS on MacPPC anyway, now that Apple switched over to Intel processors. Appart the fact that it could run on Mac machines that people will get rid of in the next few years or maybe just for the fun of running it on a Mac. Just my 2 cents.

1. Its the fastest PPC based solution you can find right now for the cheapest price.
    2. They're readily available.
    3. MorphOS 3 runs on it.

If MorphOS is running on a Mac Mini, do you know what this means?? A PPC Mac laptop port probably isnt too far behind. All I need is a date that says when MOS3 will be out for the Mini..then the EFIKA goes on sale! :)

[ Edited by TheMagicM on 2008/10/1 20:15 ]
  • »02.10.08 - 02:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    liquidbit
    I really want to see it happen so bad. There are so many apple ppc's out there! Me included !!
    MOS needs to have a Goal to get a personallity...

Linux is for Administrators & Nerds
    Windows is for Office workers & Gamers
    Mac is for Designers, Mucisians & Artists
    QNX is for Cars and Navigation Systems, embeded etc.

What about MOS ???

People ... think
    ..there will be only one left.
  • »04.10.08 - 18:45
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

Linux is for Administrators & Nerds
    Windows is for Office workers & Gamers
    Mac is for Designers, Mucisians & Artists
    QNX is for Cars and Navigation Systems, embeded etc.

What about MOS ???

People ... think

The obvious answer:

MorphOS is for People

..except ofcourse that's not true, but neither are any of the above assertions (and FYI, just "Mac" has no real meaning in that context)...

- CISC
  • »05.10.08 - 06:51
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    liquidbit
    I mean OSX..

..you talk about people, of doing what ???
    ..there will be only one left.
  • »05.10.08 - 12:33
    Stevo
    let me see...stubborn enthousiasts who can't help but kick a dead horse? ;-)
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »05.10.08 - 13:22
    Jambalah
    I red all this thread and it is so interesting...
    Someone ask to himself the reason to port MorphOS on Mac Mini.. Well, I'd be happy, due to no news about my (dead?) PegII. I think other people could be in the same situation: no machine where to run MorphOS. I think any other people could be courios and then happy to meet the butterfly :-)
    If I was a possible new user I could think to purchase a Mac Mini (or I just have got one) ad try MorphOS 2.x .
    I saw one of this machine yesterday... I'm thinking about it.... ;-)
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »07.10.08 - 18:00
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    montymole
    So would MorphOs work on any G4 Mac or just the Mac Mini,,I have a Power Mac G4 would MorphOs work on there,,,when and if it gets released..any chance of a alpha copy just to see if it does?...
  • »26.10.08 - 00:40
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    I wish there was a "beta" release date for MorphOS 3 for the Mac Mini and specs of which one it would run on FOR SURE.
  • »26.10.08 - 05:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    I wish there was a "beta" release date for MorphOS 3 for the Mac Mini and specs of which one it would run on FOR SURE.

AFAIK it works on all PPC flavours of Mac Mini. There is no target date yet since important drivers are still missing.
  • »26.10.08 - 09:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jambalah wrote:
    I red all this thread and it is so interesting...
    Someone ask to himself the reason to port MorphOS on Mac Mini.. Well, I'd be happy, due to no news about my (dead?) PegII. I think other people could be in the same situation: no machine where to run MorphOS. I think any other people could be courios and then happy to meet the butterfly :-)
    If I was a possible new user I could think to purchase a Mac Mini (or I just have got one) ad try MorphOS 2.x .
    I saw one of this machine yesterday... I'm thinking about it.... ;-)

Buy an EFIKA now, instead of waiting for MorphOS3.x on the Mac Mini. It is available now and it is cheap and MorphOS2.1 runs on it pretty well already. It is small and runs on very little power and only needs the MorphOS team to make a few more enhancements to MorphOS2.2 to make it a really great low cost next gen Amiga. My only complaints are that it only has 128mb RAM (512mb is the max possible on the board design and it should be possible to easily solder an additional 128mb on the bottom of the mobo where solder pads have been provided, but I have not read of anyone successfully doing it yet) USB 1.1 and not 2.0 and there is a limitation for the on-board IDE controller that prevents using two devices due to length limitations of almost zero for the IDE cable. It is designed to have a 2.5" IDE hard drive directly connected to the 44pin header with no cable, which prevents the ability to connect both a hdd and CD-ROM, CD-RW drive to the controller. The team needs to track down the intermittent USB dropping/freezing problem, if it is a software problem and not a hardware one.

I love the size/form factor and low power consumption and it is quite zippy running MorphOS2.1. Compatibility with Amiga 68k apps is very good too as long as they don't try to hit the old Amiga custom chips.

[ Edited by amigadave on 2008/10/26 2:57 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »26.10.08 - 09:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

montymole wrote:
    So would MorphOs work on any G4 Mac or just the Mac Mini,,I have a Power Mac G4 would MorphOs work on there,,,when and if it gets released..any chance of a alpha copy just to see if it does?...

It has been reported that MorphOS3.x will run on any Mac Mini, not just one model of it, and it may be possible to get it running on some of the other G4 Mac laptops. Having a driver for the graphics card would be needed, which means that MOS3.x on the older G4 Power Macs probably won't happen soon, if at all.
  • »26.10.08 - 10:01
    Jambalah
    @ amigadave:

Probabily, I should do it ;-)
    But I'm waiting for news about my Peg II mobo. Maybe I'm waiting too much.. or I should buy Efika even though I'm waiting for.
    I'm courios and I would try something... For example: I saw a riser card with two or three PCI sockets... Is it possible use one of those items?!? If this could be possible... I could try a USB 2.0 card..mmmh.. Will it work???
    I red the Efika book: it's possible to try a two device system although it's not reccomended.
    From the Efika book:

Genesi does not approve whatsoever of plugging cables into the IDE connector ! The following
    section might not work at all... So it is really not recommended !
    The IDE 44 pin connector could be also be used for a 3.5? HD or an ATAPI CDROM. This would
    need a 44 pin male/male gender changer and shorter than 10 cm IDE ribbon cable which
    seems to be difficult to find. Thus such a card usage does not seem recommended for a start.
    The on-board MPC5200B is compliant with ATA-4 specifications (so two HDD/CDROM drives
    could theoretically be managed). However, Genesi says that the Efika's controller can't handle
    devices that are too far away from the connector (10 cm seems to be the maximal value
    however a value of less than 45 cm should also be possible as written in the Freescale's official
    MPC5200B manual).
    In addition, the on-board connector is female (as opposed to standard male connectors)
    making it impossible to directly connect a 2.5? HDD. In consequence, a standard ribbon cable
    can not be used alone and a 44 pin IDE male/male gender changer such as this one is required. But that might not work... and maybe break something...

I repeat: it's a very interesting board!
    By the way, I have the case, I have the PICO PSU and I have a Radeon 9250 low profile for Efika. And so?!? I payed a license for my Peg... I should pay another one or "reset before system slo-down" every about 30 minutes.. :-/
    I'm waiting... for the moment :-)
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »26.10.08 - 12:48
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > MOS3.x on the older G4 Power Macs probably won't
    > happen soon, if at all.

Theoretically all G4 PowerMacs could be supported. Newer models already have MorphOS supported graphics board, older ones can have the graphics board easily exchanged (as with PowerMacs generally).
  • »27.10.08 - 02:28
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @Jambalah,

Good that you have researched the EFIKA well. As for having to pay again for the MorphOS license, it only makes sense that you would have to pay again for the work done to make MorphOS work on a new board design. Your license for the Pegasos has nothing to do with the work on MOS2.1 for the EFIKA.

I am very interested in the idea of using a riser card with multiple PCI slots, but it would have to have the one AGP slot for my 9250 graphics card. I wonder if anyone makes a PCI riser card that has one or two PCI slots on it AND also has a PCI slot 90 degrees at the end of the riser board so the 90 degree PCI to AGP adapter I have now for the graphics card would work and all the cards would be in the same direction and orientation. If not, it would take a very strange case to contain an EFIKA mobo + multiple slot PCI riser card + the 90 degree PCI to AGP adapter for my Radeon 9250 graphics card.

I would like to have a USB2.0 card for my EFIKA.
  • »27.10.08 - 17:57
    Jambalah
    @ amigadave:

Right. By the way, it will be well spent money!
    For the card, take a look here:
    Pci_riser
    Card slots are oriented in the right way. Unfortunately, I didn't find any pci and agp riser card :-(
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »27.10.08 - 21:53
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I found some 2 slot riser cards, but some are marked for IBM chipsets, others are for VIA chipsets and some are not marked for any type of chipset. I wonder which one will work, if any, or if all of them would work.

It might work if I put a 2 slot riser card into the EFIKA mobo, with the lower slot having a long 90 degree PCI to PCI adapter with a PCI USB2.0 card in it. The upper PCI slot could then have the PCI to AGP 90 degree adapter that I already have with my 9250 graphics card installed.

It would be a crazy thing to fit into a case and supporting all the adapters and cards properly might pose a challenge. The riser cards and adapters cost between $8 to $30.
  • »28.10.08 - 02:51
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    There's been a considerable amount of discussion about PCI risers in PowerDeveloper.org, but not a clear "hey, I have this working" post from anybody.
    Matt Sealey said that Adex Electronics has compatible ones, but there's a lot more to read before doing anything. It's not something that's been already tried and tested.
  • »28.10.08 - 07:27
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

I tried the link above but it would not open, so I downloaded the 33.6mb file and tried to run it and I get an error message that it is not a movie (or is it media) file, and will not play. Is it a problem that it needs it's name changed to play, or something different?

Has the file been taken down, and if so, what is it that I downloaded that is 33.6mb in size?

I would like to see the video of MOS booting on the Mac Mini.

Thanks for any help.
  • »28.10.08 - 16:14