Pegasos discontinued, no new MorphOS hardware
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    MikeB
    @ Kronos

The Panda specifications are in various ways above those of the Pegasos 2 specifications.

http://troikang.com/DL/AmyPanda-project.pdf

Also some people are interested in running MorphOS on the Efika miniboard, and MorphOS seems to run well with such minimal specs. The Sam440 is much better specced, so why would nobody want to run MorphOS on this as well?

IMO both boards can be nice options for hobby systems. The prices can come down when the R&D costs have been covered.
  • »05.11.06 - 20:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DoctorMorbius_FP
    @ people not informed and/or with disconnected synapses

The end of the PegasosPPC era was announced by Ralf Schmidt in a mail sent to to the morphos-mailinglist, dated Tuesday, 3 October 2006. Laire replied to Acill, who said the Pegasos market was not yet saturated, and among the other things he wrote:

> Want to get one ?:-) Seriously..these people had almost 4 years to do so.
    > Now it's too late, as a few months ago the last(as far as i know) Pegasos
    > were built and it will take a while until there will be alternative hardware.

So those who follow with sufficient attention the morphos-mailinglist already knew that the end of the PegasosPPC was very close, and also knew that there will be alternative hardware (the Pegasos 8641D, I presume).

I think there is no need for whining, and no need for looking soon elsewhere for other hardware.

As always it's only a matter of patience (and before the usual criticisms start, yes, I know perfectly that this is easy to say and difficult to apply...)
    Powered by PegasosII-G4, MacMini, PowerMac MDD.
  • »05.11.06 - 20:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    WOW! Pretty glad that I snagged one then :D

It's a shame no more CPU board will be produced, were the announced
    1.4 or 1.7GHz upgrades *ever* available?
  • »05.11.06 - 21:01
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    As a Frieden once explained: an announcement is not a promise.

:-)
  • »05.11.06 - 21:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    bigdan
    Here with frenchy friends, we choose to purchase few Peg2 motherboards at 399$ in order to use (and code) on Pegasos ;)

Arnaud
    an old Pegasos user (i am not really a coder personally)

[ Edited by bigdan on 2006/11/5 22:46 ]
  • »05.11.06 - 21:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    What a shame, I would have loved to see the most up to date build of MorphOS 1.5 released to the rest of us. I dont think it will ever get released now. The other new boards getting ready to come out, if they ever do are way above a good price for a hobby system like we all use MorphOS and the Pegasos for.

Now I just need to get a new board because I think mine is on its way out. Its been acting up the last month if its left on for a long time.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »05.11.06 - 21:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Crumb
    @MikeB

Panda has no PCI express or AGP while PegasosII had AGP. Panda form-factor is not ATX or microATX. Pegasos II has excellent linux support while I don't know if Panda has been tested as much as pegasos. BTW UD Tech board layout doesn't seem to be designed for desktop use... they could use at least MicroATX with 1 AGP and 3 PCIs, instead of offering odd layouts. It looks as a desperate attempt to sell anything with a ppc chip. And it will probably be *much* more expensive than Peg2 or the future PegIII.

About Sam440 vz Efika. Efika works with both MOS and Linux and has been shown running Wipeout2097, playing DVDs... and it has better features/price ratio than the vapourware Sam440 (Sam440's cpu is simply too weak for real desktop and the additional chips like sata, radeon, usb2 and the fpga only rise price up.

BTW, as we are talking about vapourware boards (well, ud tech "panda" is not vapourware, but it's not produced in high quantities yet so price will probably be too high) we could compare the forthcoming Pegasos III with the "Panda"... MPC8641D is simply an state of the art G4 chip with a memory bus 3 times faster than the fastest g4, PCIexpress controller, 4 Gigabit ethernets... :-)
  • »05.11.06 - 23:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • JAS
  • Just looking around
    JAS
    Quote:

MikeB wrote:
    The Pegasos 1 and 2 were good hardware, so well done bPlan. However now I hope the MorphOS team would consider supporting the Panda and Sam440 as well.

Oh dear will this be the start of a new monolog about how good OS4 is, hope not, skipping your posts wears out my scrollwheel.
    And please, no more photos of your runaway pet hamsters or your little squeeze, thank you.

Quote:

IMO the involved parties like Guru Meditation and Soft3 both have excellent reputations within the Amiga Community.

I have a hunch that anything you suggest will be rejected by default, you have after all earned yourself quite a reputation through the years.
  • »05.11.06 - 23:47
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 05.10.2011 - 16:51 ]
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »05.11.06 - 23:50
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

Velcro_SP wrote:
    @DoctorMorbius

Yeah, Ralph Schmidt said that, but it was not and is not "too late" to get a Pegasos. There is still stock of new machines out there. Yes, even if they were manufactured quite some time ago, they are still new machines if no-one has used them.

I don't know why Genesi does this cancelling of Pegasos2 before they have another all-around machine to point people to, at the webshop and elsewhere.

Maybe because the peg2 is not rohs??

But in first place, no probs, we have allready a peg1/2 or a pup to run mos,(@Acill here) and when there will be a mos 1.5 for any new bplan platform,why in the hell u can assume the support for the "old" platform will be suspended?

Maybe we will see mos 1.5 (or 1.4.5,5) for "the new platform" and for the "old" peg1/2/pup

/maybe off topic ON
    @All
    It's only an idea , but we can create a bounty for a "discount Peg2 mobo" to deliver for free to a "nice" programmer like Carl Sassenrath for a native version of rebol, or any kind of programmer the community can thrust/interest

What do u think ?

/maybe off topic OFF

[ Edited by raistlin77it on 2006/11/6 0:13 ]
    I'm nerdy in the extreme
    And whiter than sour cream

White&Nerdy 2006 Al Yankovic
  • »06.11.06 - 00:08
  • ASiegel
    @ raistlin

Quote:

It's only an idea , but we can create a bounty for a "discount Peg2 mobo" to deliver for free to a "nice" programmer like Carl Sassenrath for a native version of rebol, or any kind of programmer the community can thrust/interest

Actually, Carl Sassenrath has a Pegasos computer and runs Linux on it. Genesi supplied him with one quite a while ago.
  • »06.11.06 - 00:23
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Genesi
    That is correct:

http://www.rebol.net/article/0204.html

One way or another *with Ralph and Frank* we will figure out a way to support MorphOS in the future.

We still believe in MorphOS.

R&B :-)
  • »06.11.06 - 00:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Wishmaster
    That is great.
    Pegasos PPC
  • »06.11.06 - 02:28
    hooligan
    Quote:

The Sam440 is much better specced, so why would nobody want to run MorphOS on this as well?

The pricetag.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »06.11.06 - 04:29
    Profile Visit Website
    Senex
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    What a shame, I would have loved to see the most up to date build of MorphOS 1.5 released to the rest of us. I dont think it will ever get released now.

"MorphOS development continues, Pegasos I and II will be supported." (Piru)

Quote:

Now I just need to get a new board because I think mine is on its way out. Its been acting up the last month if its left on for a long time.

Maybe not, given your signature, at least in case AMiGR is right.
  • »06.11.06 - 07:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

and apparently, the MOS-team so far didn't consider any other (non-Genesi) platforms for their OS.

Since when has "consider" meant "make public announcement of it"? It seems that this is what you're trying to say...
  • »06.11.06 - 07:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

Jupp3 wrote:
    Quote:

and apparently, the MOS-team so far didn't consider any other (non-Genesi) platforms for their OS.

Since when has "consider" meant "make public announcement of it"? It seems that this is what you're trying to say...

Yes it was, sorry, "apparently, the MOS-team so far did not officially proclaim the support of any non-Genesi platform yet" was what I was trying to say.
  • »06.11.06 - 07:48
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

Yes it was, sorry, "apparently, the MOS-team so far did not officially proclaim the support of any non-Genesi platform yet" was what I was trying to say.

And while we are at it, since when have classic amigas (with PPC accelerator) become Genesi hardware? :-)

And afaik, Pegasos (1 and 2) were always manufactured by bplan...
  • »06.11.06 - 08:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

And while we are at it, since when have classic amigas (with PPC accelerator) become Genesi hardware? :-)

I wholeheartedly apologize again for further inconstistencies, Mr. Jupp3. I hope you agree on the following statement:

"Apparently, the MOS-team so far did not officially proclaim the support of any platform other than bplan-hardware and Amiga Classic PPC (BPPC/CSPPC) yet"

;-)
  • »06.11.06 - 10:46
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Sad, isn't it.
    Genesi announces THREE new computers (Efika, Pegasos 8641D and TetraPower), and none of them is of any use to MorphOS.
    288369422_1a8fdc1061.jpgBy the way, I suspect that the 8641D is not really from Genesi, but an evaluation board from freescale. I've tried to find a photo of it, but it seems is doesn't exist. In the other hand, I believe that TetraPower is really bplan hardware, based on IBM's own PPC970, instead of freescale's MPC8641.
  • »06.11.06 - 14:22
    Kronos
    Quote:

jcmarcos wrote:
    Genesi announces THREE new computers (.

I think thats actually the point....

Wake me up (so I can try to wake the MOS-team 8-) ) when those "computers" are either on sale or atleat being build in real numbers.
  • »06.11.06 - 14:27
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @ jcmarcos

Quote:

By the way, I suspect that the 8641D is not really from Genesi, but an evaluation board from freescale.

Guess what, *it is*! And that is not a secret either, it's clearly written on its development program website:

"Initially centered around Freescale's PCEVALHPCN-8641D reference design ("Argo Navis"), features and functionality can be exposed, software can be written before cost-reduced and consumer-level products hit the market."

"The final Pegasos 8641D consumer design will be designed around this reference product and enhanced by the developer support and early adopter work through the Projects Program."

The meaning of this, and the purpose of the program:

1. Early software/OS development can start on the Freescale board right now (well, in a few weeks that is)
    2. Later, when the Genesi 8641D hardware is released, the software is already there and present!
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »06.11.06 - 16:38
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    soldout.png

http://www.genesippc.com/press.php?date=20061106

Quote:

Genesi regrets to announce that the Pegasos G4 motherboard, CPU cards and the Open Desktop Workstation have sold out and have been discontinued. The company hopes to replace this product line with the Pegasos 8641D in the near future. A program for early-adopters and developer support based around Freescale evaluation and reference design for this processor is up and running on Power Developer.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »06.11.06 - 16:47
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 05.10.2011 - 16:50 ]
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »06.11.06 - 22:47